What's new

Help identifying Gillette Techs

Just picked up a couple of techs from the bay (I only spent £10.50 for both razors plus 5 tucks of blades so wasn't concerned about not knowing much about them). I've been on the Mr-Razor site, but I can't figure out what I've actually ended up with!

The heads may be on the wrong razors (or could be from entirely different razors!) and both say "made in England"

One is a black plastic handle tech, going by Mr Razor the only similar handle appears to be on a 1968 French Tech Set "N2" but that looks like it has a green handle and is made in Germany.

The other, going by weight and shine, is an aluminum ball handle tech. Again, looking on Mr Razor the only similar aluminium handle appears to be on a 1950 Tech Set No32 (Aluminum handle and baseplate), this seems to fit as the baseplate is very light and the top cap heavier, but the head on that has no markings according to Mr Razor

Can anyone shed any light on these two?

tech 1.jpg
Techs 2.jpg
techs 3.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have the same black handled razor as part of a travel kit which contained two razors but mine is marked P2 (1970). The travel set also contained a note dating it to 1971. I too looked at the Mr.Razor image and noticed that the handle looked greenish but I assumed it was due to the lighting and that it was actually black.

rd2.jpg

rd1.jpg

R

romsitsa

All correct. Achim has an example of almost all Gillette DE-s, but there were way more sets.
For eg. your plastic handle variant was sold with white, black, green handles, in all Europe in different packages, made in England, Germany and maybe France. This alone means more than ten variants, not counting sets. But the razor is the same.
The other one was made in the early 50ies, came in cardboard, plastic or different metal cases (and in numerous grooming sets). Cap can be echted or plain.

As romsitsa said the ball end is 1950s. If the plastic handle doesn't have a code, it is late 60s. Gillette England started putting codes in 1970, in Germany they stamped the codes since the early 60s.

I have the same black handled razor as part of a travel kit which contained two razors but mine is marked P2 (1970). The travel set also contained a note dating it to 1971. I too looked at the Mr.Razor image and noticed that the handle looked greenish but I assumed it was due to the lighting and that it was actually black.

View attachment 1232192
All correct. Achim has an example of almost all Gillette DE-s, but there were way more sets.
For eg. your plastic handle variant was sold with white, black, green handles, in all Europe in different packages, made in England, Germany and maybe France. This alone means more than ten variants, not counting sets. But the razor is the same.
The other one was made in the early 50ies, came in cardboard, plastic or different metal cases (and in numerous grooming sets). Cap can be echted or plain.
As romsitsa said the ball end is 1950s. If the plastic handle doesn't have a code, it is late 60s. Gillette England started putting codes in 1970, in Germany they stamped the codes since the early 60s.

Thank you all for the above, no date codes anywhere to that puts them at 1950s and 1960s, pretty good condition considering how old they are!

Top Bottom