What's new

Help identifying Gillette razor

I recently acquired a Gillette travel razor and the seller threw in an old somewhat grungy razor. Having cleaned it up a little I noticed that it did appear to have the Gillette logo in the diamond and to my surprise a serial number F924192. In looking at the websites that have info on Gillette date codes and serial numbers I think it could be a Gillette Model 102 of 1918 vintage. No military markings. Is my interpretation of the serial number correct?

I can't believe it's that old. I plan to clean it up thoroughly and use it in honor of my grandfather, a WWI veteran.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 132
  • $image.jpeg
    $image.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 128
That sure looks like an Old Type. I'm sure others can help you date it. Sometime between 1908 and 1928 I would guess.

Nickel plated OLD type, may or may not have been a military razor, that's a Tech handle however.

Nice razor! :thumbup1:

It is a 1918, probably from a khaki set, many were sold to the public. I have one with an "F" prefix as well, I had the nickel stripped off of mine.

$1918 (3).jpg

Thanks for all the help. I couldn't figure out the handle because none of the pictures I found of Old Types had the full length knurling like that. Interesting that someone did some mixing and matching. I'm excited to get it cleaned up and give it a try.

My very first find in the wild was a black Old Type I got for $2. A little silver polish later and WOW, beautiful shinny silver razor!

I finally got it cleaned up. Shaved with it yesterday and today. Very nice. I used the PolSilver Super Iridium blade. Seems more aggressive in this razor than it did in the Gillette Super Speed I normally use, but very nice.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I finally got it cleaned up. Shaved with it yesterday and today. Very nice. I used the PolSilver Super Iridium blade. Seems more aggressive in this razor than it did in the Gillette Super Speed I normally use, but very nice.
Toby will attest to this: The Old Type is more aggressive than a superspeed. You have discovered this as well!

Happy Shaving!
Adam

Thanks for all the help. I couldn't figure out the handle because none of the pictures I found of Old Types had the full length knurling like that. Interesting that someone did some mixing and matching. I'm excited to get it cleaned up and give it a try.

Yeah, I've put a ball-end tech handle like that on an old type head, because the original handle was totally toast. The old type handles crack, sometimes totally crack open. However, I don't like the feel of it with the tech handle, because the tech handle seems lighter, making it feel top-heavy. I'm looking for another handle, currently, to try to get the balance a bit better; there are a lot of options for modern brass (or stainless steel!) handles for around $15. It looks like that tech handle is in way worse shape than the old type head is, anyway.

That was a nice freebee to throw in! I agree that this is the best razor head design ever and Gillette should still be making it!

Top Bottom