What's new

Help identifying/dating vintage razors (old type clone & Ever-Ready)

Snagged these two vintage razors for £5 on ebay, wondering if anyone knows an apprx date for them? I know the Ever-ready is a made in England so has to be after the 30s, and the other is a Made in England Old Type clone, not sure by whom or when though.

Old Type copy is solid brass it seems. Exactly 3 inches long. I thought it might be easier to find because it has a somewhat distinct handle design, slightly different to the real OT and other clones I've seen.

2.jpg
IMG_20220705_132621.jpg

s-l160044.jpg

Snagged these two vintage razors for £5 on ebay, wondering if anyone knows an apprx date for them? I know the Ever-ready is a made in England so has to be after the 30s, and the other is a Made in England Old Type clone, not sure by whom or when though.

Old Type copy is solid brass it seems. Exactly 3 inches long. I thought it might be easier to find because it has a somewhat distinct handle design, slightly different to the real OT and other clones I've seen.

View attachment 1483133View attachment 1483135
View attachment 1483137
Thanks for sharing the photos. I have an American made Star razor from the late 1930s which look almost identical to your Ever Ready. Star and Ever Ready were sister companies. I bought mine on eBay and it came brand new, unused in original packaging. It was not expensive, but cost more than 5 pounds. You got a great deal.

The OT clone feels very similar to my SLOC to shave with, mild feeling but not in a boring way, but quite efficient. First shave and it's probably going to become my new daily shaver. I bought some SE blades for the ER which should be here tomorrow, excited to try it out. Oldest razor I've used until now is my 48/49 superspeed, but I guess both of these are older. The OT clone seems to have a top cap somewhere between a thin and a thick, it's weird but an amazing shaver.

View attachment 1483133View attachment 1483135
View attachment 1483137
The first ASR manufacturing plant was opened in 1936-7 in England, so your 1912 could be anywhere in the time frame 1936-51.

There were a mass of excellent English razor manufacturers in the interwar period, making many groundbreaking types, including the extensive use of bakelite, and new blade types. In Sheffield there was Wardonia, Laurel, Eclipse, and probably a few others. There was Souplex in Morcambe, and M.J Wyatt in Birmingham. These companies would often make products for outlets such as Woolworths and under the 7 O'Clock brand. Souplex made the 'Big Ben' brand razors.

I would hestitate to use the term 'clone', as by this point the Old type patents had run out, so the English manufacturers could freely make new designs based on expired Gillette patents but often improved. The
English razors I have from the period are all of superb build quality.

Your handle has a very Eclipse like look to it. It may be an unbranded example of the company.

Here is a good thread on the Sheffield razors by company Sheffield Safety Razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/sheffield-safety-razors.505224/

Here is info from the ShaveWiki on the Souplex Company
Souplex - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Souplex

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

The OT feels amazing in the hand, very dense for such a small razor and super smooth, seems to work really well with a slightly steeper angle too so efficiency is great. It is about the same length as my 48-9 Superspeed, and the handle is about the same thickness. I'll look up those threads thanks.

Top Bottom