What's new

Help identify this razor... PLEASE!!!!

I recently purchased a number of vintage DE's at a local antique market, and this razor was thrown in with the lot. (See pics below.) It was very badly tarnished prior to cleaning -- the text was completely obscured and I was uncertain whether or not this was even a Gillette. :bored:

After 2 days of scrubbing, I have finally got the razor cleaned. It took much elbow grease, hot water, and even some vinegar -- but it worked. :w00t:

I have noticed that the head of the razor is brass and it has been mis-matched with a chrome / silver handle from a Gillette Tech. That is where my knowledge ceases to assist me. :mad3:

Can anyone help identify this razor? What year was it manufactured? What did the original handle look like? Any bit of info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
- Ken -

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks, James!

From what I've read, the "Goodwill" razor was made from a lot of different over-stock pieces and, as such, there were many different configurations of this razor. Any idea what the original handle would have looked like?

- Ken -

James,

I took a look at the link you posted. Thanks... I was actually viewing that page last night and figured this was most likely a Goodwill design as well. I'm just baffled by the diamond shaped holes in the top guard. I've never seen anything like it before. :blink:

Thanks as well for your input on the handle design. This too was the handle I envisioned with this razor head. Now... I just have to find one in brass. :glare:

- Ken -

I hear ya!... :bored: I've been trying to purchase only items which have date stamps or serial numbers; however, I have recently come across a number of Gillette's made in England which have no stamps at all (e.g., Rocket). Interesting pieces which I am glad to have, but very frustrating when trying to date them.

After hearing about my interest in wetshaving, my father-in-law dug out his father's 1918 Gillette #102 which he had packed away for ages. It still looks pretty good, but I don't think I'm gonna shave with it. An interesting find, none the less!

In the most part the nicest razors are not date coded or serial numbered - the 1930's & 40's IMO was Gillettes finest era.

The 1930's NEW models, especially the Belmont style of three piece are pretty special and the post-war One-Piece razors such as the Aristocrat & Superspeed are good as well.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about knowing the exact year of manufacture, instead go collect the best models.

Regards
John

Top Bottom