What's new

Help identify my Blade Wall Slot

Hello, I have a blade wall slot I can't identify or date. It looks more industrial than residential maybe a motel or hospital. It has PA 19167 and a large F stamped on the back. If anyone is familiar or has seen one I would really appreciate the knowledge. Thanks
IMG_20191015_204615.jpg
IMG_20191015_204857.jpg
IMG_20191018_204723.jpg

I have seen medicine cabinets have slots for disposal of blades and I have seen holes in tile walls - but never the one you posted.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have never seen one like that before. Then again I am in Australia and this type of thing was never big over here. As mentioned by @Uncas, it is well made.

I'm not familiar with it, but I can hazard a few guesses.
From the lip on the backside and the screw-holes I believe it was made to mounted to (thin) wood, such as wood-panelling.
The screw-holes are designed for counter-sunk flat-head screws, which were almost always wood screws back then.
The lip in the back appears too short for tile or stucco, but long enough to go completely through thin wood.
This suggests a lavatory outside of an enclosed bath and toilet.
This style, with panelling, became popular in larger suburban homes, starting in the late 1950's and continuing into the 70's.
After that time, the wood-panelling went out of fashion.
However, during that same time period, newly-built hotels and motels utilised that same lay-out and I believe it was more probably from a chain-hotel than a private home.
Firstly, private homes had medicine cabinets, which already had blade slots built into them, not so hotels/motels.
The fact that it is labelled suggests it was on an exposed wall, unnecessary in a private home, and also unnecessary to be labelled, for private use.
I say chain hotel because it appears to have been custom-made to order. If it were a generic supply item, it would probably bear the manufacturer's name on the reverse.
Chain hotels, such as Howard Johnson's and Holiday Inn were expanding during the 1950's and 60's with uniform proprietary building designs and all of their bathrooms would have looked the same, using the same hardware.
I note that it appears to be of a "Brushed-Metal" finish, which did not come into vogue until the mid-1960's
Thus, I believe it is from the lavatory wall of a chain hotel or motel from the mid-1960's through the early 1970's.

An astute and well thought out analysis. I also thought it was probably commercial Motel/Hotel but not with the thought and reasoning you had. Just seems unimaginable that if these were installed in every Howard Johnson's and Holiday Inn in America or just one state they would be in the same category with Sasquatch. I do agree with you.

From the lip on the backside and the screw-holes I believe it was made to mounted to (thin) wood, such as wood-panelling.
The screw-holes are designed for counter-sunk flat-head screws, which were almost always wood screws back then.
The lip in the back appears too short for tile or stucco, but long enough to go completely through thin wood.
This style, with panelling, became popular in larger suburban homes, starting in the late 1950's and continuing into the 70's.
However, during that same time period, newly-built hotels and motels utilised that same lay-out and I believe it was more probably from a chain-hotel than a private home.
Firstly, private homes had medicine cabinets, which already had blade slots built into them, not so hotels/motels.
The fact that it is labelled suggests it was on an exposed wall, unnecessary in a private home, and also unnecessary to be labelled, for private use.
I say chain hotel because it appears to have been custom-made to order. If it were a generic supply item, it would probably bear the manufacturer's name on the reverse.
Chain hotels, such as Howard Johnson's and Holiday Inn were expanding during the 1950's and 60's with uniform proprietary building designs and all of their bathrooms would have looked the same, using the same hardware.
I note that it appears to be of a "Brushed-Metal" finish, which did not come into vogue until the mid-1960's
Thus, I believe it is from the lavatory wall of a chain hotel or motel from the mid-1960's through the early 1970's.

Great analysis!! :a21: :a21:

@razorboi that was an impressive analysis! Short of scouring hotel bathroom archive photos for 100% validation, i’d say that’s as sufficient an explanation as you can get!

My initial thought was hotel as well. They wouldn't have wanted housekeeping staff to run across a blade discarded in the waste basket.

You make Sherlock Holmes look like an amateur. Well done.

Top Bottom