What's new

Help identify a str8

Hello, I am fairly new to DE wet shaving, and am curious about shaving with a straight razor. I have one that I got from my dad a few years ago that I would like to know if it would be worth cleaning and sharpening, and maybe new scales? I know virtually nothing about the terminology, so here goes the best I can.

On the handle part of the blade it says Worcester Razor Co. Worcester, Mass, USA. On the wide part of the blade it says American Beauty.

There is no rust on it, but it is stained. It is very sharp, but I'm not sure if it is shave sharp. I am attaching pics,but I have a crappy camera, so I'm not sure how much they will help.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for looking.

It's a Worcester Razor Co.

Pictures aren't great but from your description and what they do show, it looks like a good candidate to fix up, sharpen and use.

*looks at pictures*

Yep, that's a straight razor alright, I'd recognise them anywhere

:lol:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that it's an "American Beauty" as manufactured by the Worcester Razor Co. in Massachusetts.

Not knowing the type of edge it has on it, I'd recommend sending it out to be honed, Putting new scales on it might be a good move also

You say your dad gave it to you? is it like, a family heirloom (like, he got it from his dad, and so on, so forth?) or was it just something he gave you as a gift?

in all, Sweet razor, I bet it shaves well :thumbup:

*looks at pictures*

Yep, that's a straight razor alright, I'd recognise them anywhere

:lol:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that it's an "American Beauty" as manufactured by the Worcester Razor Co. in Massachusetts.

Not knowing the type of edge it has on it, I'd recommend sending it out to be honed, Putting new scales on it might be a good move also

You say your dad gave it to you? is it like, a family heirloom (like, he got it from his dad, and so on, so forth?) or was it just something he gave you as a gift?

in all, Sweet razor, I bet it shaves well :thumbup:

Nothing like that. He probably found it in a dealer car he was doing body work on. I just wanted to know if it was worth restoring, and using in the future. I'll probably have to have it done, and I don't want to waste money on it if it isn't worth it.

Nothing like that. He probably found it in a dealer car he was doing body work on. I just wanted to know if it was worth restoring, and using in the future. I'll probably have to have it done, and I don't want to waste money on it if it isn't worth it.

Cursory glance over it suggests it doesn't need that much work, You could probably get away with just getting it honed up and shaving from there

Though the bit missing off the scales makes it look shoddy as it were.

Top Bottom