What's new

Help ID a blade

I'm trying some random blades and loaded up this one today. Does anyone know what it is?

proxy.php

+ 1

That is a Crystal by Personna. I suppose some of these don't say "Made in Israel" on them. Some old UFI-packaged blades look very very similar, but those may have actually been made by Perma-Sharp Manufacturing Corp. It is part of the Crystal mystery, I guess.

If the patent mark US3071856 was correct, then it should be an older blade. That patent was issued in 1963 and should have expired ca. 1980. Also, putting it on the blade at all suggests that it was intended for the USA market.

If the patent mark US3071856 was correct, then it should be an older blade. That patent was issued in 1963 and should have expired ca. 1980. Also, putting it on the blade at all suggests that it was intended for the USA market.

Doesn't that make it a bit of a puzzler? I assume the patent number might be a legacy-type thing.

Doesn't that make it a bit of a puzzler? I assume the patent number might be a legacy-type thing.

Yes, it is puzzling. They could be old stock. Or the mark could be an error - but under USA patent law, marking an item with an expired patent can result in stiff penalties. So it could be an expensive mistake.

Could it be that the patent number was printed on the blade to make it seem more "legit?" I doubt it's a vintage blade, but I really have no idea where it came from.

Bingo. I think I was given this blade as a singleton, not in a box or other wrapper. I suspect it's from the same factory as those Vikings Swords. Does the box for your blades indicate where they are made?

The fact that the blade has an arrow on it indicates to me that it may have come from a dispenser and placed in the wrapper later. If that's the case then the mystery deepens. But, I could be wrong. I thought I was once only to find out later I was only mistaken.:biggrin1:

Now that's about as close of a match as one could hope to find. Q-ball? I'll look them up.

Top Bottom