What's new

Help! I need a airplane proof FP

So, I'm having trouble understanding how there could be an issue with the nib kept pointing up during travel - unless a bubble is trapped in the cartridge underneath the ink. The change in air pressure affects the air within the pen. As altitude goes up, the air becomes thinner and evacuates from the interior of the pen (expands). This is when the issue could possibly occur - if the pen nib was down, the ink against the feed, or air trapped in the reservoir/cartridge. On returning from high altitude the pressure increases, which pushes denser air back into the reservoir (bubble contracts).

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Come Fly With Me

Instruction sheet, 1958 Pelikan 400NN
Fill pen, tighten cap, keep upright.
full

So, I'm having trouble understanding how there could be an issue with the nib kept pointing up during travel ...
Right. Apparently the posters with problems aren't breathing through an upright nib/feed. I've never had a problem and have flow often with vintage pens in my pocket, full and less than full, writing during flight even in some unpressurized planes. Piston filler Pelikans and Sheaffer sac pens with lever fill mostly.

I fly very frequently and always carry a fountain pen on me, in my shirt pocket.
Yes ... nib up in your shirt pocket!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I always read that the Pilot Custom 823 is the champ of air travel. But those are kinda pricey. If I were you, I’d probably just bring extra cartridges for your Pelikan and Pilot, fly with the pens empty, and pop in a new cart at your destination. [...].

That is exactly what I do having done two short haul flight many years ago and then opened my pens at a meeting to find the pens were empty and the caps were full. Carrying an empty pen with a cartridge in my pocket gives me peace of mind. [...]
John & Vacumatic:
plus-one-png.797576
...the 'only way to fly'!
Ink Bottle - 1.jpg

proxy.php
“None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen or half it's ['pensations']; but we can try". Mark Twain

As mentioned above, The Conids will not burp due to pressure changes. Are they a bit on the pricy side...maybe. but what is the value of confidence in knowing your pen will not leak, and have plenty of ink for many days use worth.

Conids will be shown at the upcoming Dallas and Denver pen shows.

I fles to Phoenix from DFW earlier this year with 2 partially filled Nemosine pens, I even left one in my carry on in its side and didn't have any issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, The Conids will not burp due to pressure changes. Are they a bit on the pricy side...maybe. but what is the value of confidence in knowing your pen will not leak, and have plenty of ink for many days use worth.

Conids will be shown at the upcoming Dallas and Denver pen shows.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Conid, especially the engineering behind the pen, I also have a great deal of respect for Francis Goosens. The prices from the web site look to be between mid 400 euros to 1200+

Are they good value, of course.

If you don't like the idea of acquiring cartridges just for the sake of travel, and are adverse to tossing them and potentially wasting ink. You can still fly with an empty pen, and fill and empty into a small vial like ink samples usually come in. They are cheap, and can be disposable themselves if you want without having to spend the money on some any sort of travel inkwell.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Conid, especially the engineering behind the pen, I also have a great deal of respect for Francis Goosens. The prices from the web site look to be between mid 400 euros to 1200+

Are they good value, of course.
The Minimalistica comes to just under $400 after the exchange rate right now, but the shipping projections on it are early in Jan 2020.. don't ask how I know this all for sure... :D

The real solution is to put next to your safety razor a safety pen.

"The Safety Type may be carried filled with ink upside down, sideways, or in any position and cannot spill."

It is the only type of fountain pen I used besides Hello Kitty! fountain pens.

I have had exactly zero issues flying with fountain pens, but that’s because I fly with them empty and don’t try to use them in flight. Every major manufacturer has compatible cartridges which you can bring with you, or even if you want to bring a piston insert and inks, you can do that too. Just don’t try to fly with either a piston insert or cartridge installed and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could use a safety pen, but if you are not carrying your pen nib up and tightly capped (preferably a screw-cap), doing that may solve your problem. It's my understanding that the airplane problem is overstated if the pen is properly carried.

I am always in favour of carrying an empty pen. Some years ago I followed the advice of keeping the nib uppermost on a shortish flight and the cartridge emptied itself into the cap, I opened the pen at a business meeting, complete mess. Thought that this could be a one off, tried it again on a flight to UAE and the same thing happened.

My advice is to remember that an empty pen cannot leak.

Top Bottom