What's new

Help! I don't know how to dress.

I passed on them and commented that they were too urban/metro for my tastes and she responded, "I'm just trying to help you get away from that Bible salesman/Brawny Man thing you have going on".

To make matters worse, we later stopped in Belk and I got a wink and a nod from a gentleman who appeared to be in his late 70s because we were dressed identically... (black loafers, khaki dress slacks, shirt & sweater, flat cap) This only cemented her point.

LOL! I've been there, especially if I'm wearing a fedora.

I don't want to be smug about this, it took me many, many years to find this out about women and dressing.

I have been a bit of a clothes horse for years. My work tastes have gotten a bit more conservative lately since now I'm a 'mature" man.

But when it comes to "play" clothes, I most often take a woman I used to date with me shopping. EVERYTHING she has ever picked out for me has been noticed and complimented by other women. The first couple of times it happened, it freaked me out.

Plus a woman helping you shop can operate on more "levels" than many of us. i.e. They will factor price, your budget, style and most importantly- how the clothes look on you. This is not to be underestimated.

Any fool can go pick out some expensive designer horse blanket. But a woman will instantly know when you try it on if it works or not.
Even if you're in great shape, some stuff just isn't "right" on you.

There are a lot of men's grooming forums, but they tend to be more conservative I've noticed. Most young women are savants of the current styles. The read magazines and watch programs that bombard them with all fashion, and they drink it all in.

The biggest downside? You're going to put in some time in the "idiot" chair while they try on some clothes for themselves.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
.... Most young women are savants of the current styles. The read magazines and watch programs that bombard them with all fashion, and they drink it all in.

The biggest downside? You're going to put in some time in the "idiot" chair while they try on some clothes for themselves.

Most young women may be exposed to the current fashions, but that doesn't mean they are good at being a guide to style. (Fashion = what's 'in' right now; style = what actually looks good.) It's kind of like that "Queer Eye" show a few years back ... with the same underlying assumption that Gay Men are savants of style ... t'aint necessarily so!

So by all means get the advice of those who know style ... but simply wearing whatever some chick tells you to put on can be problematical, not only because she might be wrong, but more importantly, if you personally feel uncomfortable in that particular 'look', then that uncomfortability will show through in your body language, and not in a good way.

For work he needs to develop style indeed. There are plenty of websites to help with that.

For play, at 27, fashion is important.

There's another layer added too with Alaska and that frigid weather. Yikes.

Top Bottom