What's new

Help guestimating a Wolfman plate based on my current razors

I've done a bit of research and watched some youtube videos of the Wolfman WR2 but this is going to be (by far) my most expensive DE purchase so I want to make sure I'm considering the right plate for my upcoming WR2 purchase

My experience:
  • A Karve Brass C plate, SB
  • Timeless Ti Slim
  • Timeless Ti .95 (I find this to have similar aggression as my slim, but not as efficient)
  • Timeless Ti .68 (my mild shaver. I use this when I want to give myself a quick single WTG pass and run out the door, expecting to leave a bit of stubble)
  • Timeless .45 aluminum - a nice shaver that sits somewhere between the Ti .95 and .68 in efficiency, but smoother than both
  • Rex Ambassador: Had this but sold it. I found it a little too aggressive at the best settings for me. At lower settings I had to do too many passes which caused irritation
Questions:
  1. Based on the above, it sounds like the WR2 with a 1.05 SB plate might be the best choice based on my findings. What do you think?
  2. I'm actually interested in the Wolfman because it's supposed to be a very good balance of high efficiency and high smoothness. I'm not particularly tied to this razor or it's $500 price point. Are there others with similar performance? I've heard the Lupo was based on the WR2 but is this confirmed? They don't look like each other and even if this is true, which plate is the Lupo based on?
Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
For a few years the SS Timeless (in .68 SB and .95 OC and SB) was my primary razor. But then I bought the Blackbird and then a few Wolfmans. The Timeless doesn’t get used anymore. There’s a lot of subjectivity and personal preference involved, but for me the Wolfman really is much better. In the WR2 I have the 1.25 and 1.55. I think if you’re currently using the Timeless .95 than the 1.15 or 1.25 would be the recommendation. (Btw. The Lupo is based on the WR1).

I have the Timeless Ti (standard handle) in 0.95 SB and OC. I find the effeciency of both nice, but prefer the OC for the additional blade feel, reduced drag, and touch more efficiency. I was wanting something with similar performance in the Wolfman arena. My first Wolfman was WR2 1.15 SB with WRH2 80mm hallow handle. In my opinion, performance is similar to the aforementioned SB. I didn’t care for it, however, as it has almost zero blade feel (less than my Timeless SB), and so I sold it. I tried a 1.30; blade feel was great but it was too efficient for me. So I have an order in for a 1.25. I think it’ll be a keeper. If not, I’m moving on. At the moment, I shave daily with Rex Ambassador on 1.0. Good luck!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
RazoRock Lupo is an excellent razor. I think it's one of the finest razors at its price point. As far as a Wolfman WR2...I settled on a 1.15 and it's absolutely perfect. A B&B member lent me their 1.25 and I found it to be slightly too aggressive. You mentioned a Karve CB C plate... that's the one I have also. Currently waiting for the OC C plate for it. They make a nice razor, but in my experience it can't match either the Lupo or the Wolfman. I also have a Wolfman WR1 .74. I purchased it used from a B&B member. At first I thought it was too aggressive...but I kept at it...now it's my favorite razor.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works.

BUT, I suggest you also consider the WR1! The WR1 SB 0.74 polished is the razor that killed my RAD! For me it is more nimble, with a bit more blade feel and also more efficient. But that‘s me. :a29:

The WR2 is a very fine razor with many fans here on B&B.

I've used Karve C, E, F, the timeless Ti Slim and the Timeless. 95 in both OC and SB. My first Wolfman was a WR1.25. I liked it but found a lot of duplication with those other razors. I think the 1.25 is the sweet spot for many people who shave daily with a heavy beard. I've moved up gap to the 1.65 in the WR2 and .86 in the WR1. They're all very good razors. Check out the chats around here on the latest Charcoal Goods razors if you'd like to consider a less expensive alternative.

I've used Karve C, E, F, the timeless Ti Slim and the Timeless. 95 in both OC and SB. My first Wolfman was a WR1.25. I liked it but found a lot of duplication with those other razors. I think the 1.25 is the sweet spot for many people who shave daily with a heavy beard. I've moved up gap to the 1.65 in the WR2 and .86 in the WR1. They're all very good razors. Check out the chats around here on the latest Charcoal Goods razors if you'd like to consider a less expensive alternative.
I ended up settling on the 1.05. Based on your razor choices I'd say you prefer more aggressive shaves than I do so I think 1.05/1.15 is right for me. Guess I'll find out - will get it next week.

The Timeless .95 is one of my favorite everyday razors. Because of this I was recommended the Wolf 1.25 and that ended up being too aggressive for me as a daily shaver. I then bought the Wolf 1.05 and it's too mild. I then bought the Wolf 1.15 and it is a great daily shaver. If the Timeless .95 is a good daily razor for you, I would recommend the Wolf WR2 1.15 from my experience.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My experience echos a lot of what has been said. Prior to discovering Wolfman and Charcoal Goods, Timeless was my go to. I had several. Four I think. The SS 95 SB was my favorite one. I am an every other day shaver. Started with a WR2 1.15, then quickly got a 1.25. Still struggling to choose which one to keep. But I find the 1.15 most comparable to the shave results of the Timeless 95. However it is infinitely smoother. I have not used my one remaining Timeless razor in a year probably. I also have a 1.55, and a WR1. But the real sweet spot is the 1.15 and 1.25. Just beautiful shaves every time. And super smooth. At this point I believe I like the 1.15 better and will sell the 1.25 very soon. Also as mentioned the new Charcoal Goods Level 3 is awesome. Very close to the 1.25 in my opinion. And half the price.

I've had the Karve C, Timeless Ti SB .95, and WR2 1.05. I think you are correct at 1.05. I found the Wolfman was not quite as smooth, but much more efficient vs the Timeless and definitely preferred the WR2. The Karve C was too much for me. But, I have pretty sensitive skin and they all hit the BST after I found a couple excellent mild, but efficient razors.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I am a happy owner of wr2 1.05SB, and have razors such as ti68 and rex ambassador at the same time.
It sounds like your judgment on 1.05SB is a good fit.

Its low blade exposure maintains a gentle skin feel, but the larger gap range than other razors brings enough efficiency and angle to be a winner.

I've never used the WR2 but I had a couple of WR1s. One was brass with a .68 gap and the other was a stainless .86. I greatly preferred the .86, but I would have preferred it to be even a little more aggressive. The Lupo is based on the WR1 and it comes in a .95. That seems like a good place to be. I must say that I prefer my Timeless razors to the two Wolfmen that I had, although the .86 was very close. The two Timeless are the .95 open comb SS and the .78 open comb bronze. The .78 is a beast.

I saw there was a Wolfman WR2 1.55 SB with WR7 handle posted for sale on eBay > think it’s worth a purchase ? I’m considering the 1.55mm gap as I shave once every 2-3 days as my routine

Top Bottom