What's new

Help: good razor for coarse beard (Merkur 34C vs EJ89 vs Muhle r41?)

Hi guys, I have been reading reviews and searching the Internet in order to try and find a good DE safety razor for my boyfriend (Christmas gift), but I keep reading mix reviews. If I could get some opinions, I would really appreciate it!

Background info: He usually uses an electric razor to trim his beard as short as possible, and then he finishes off using a cartridge razor. He dislikes to shave because he has a denser/coarser beard than the average Caucasian, and sensitive skin, therefore he avoids shaving as much as possible (usually every 7-14 days). He has never investigated other shaving options, and just works with what he has.

I read the Muhler41 is pretty aggressive (which would be good for his coarse beard, i think?), but then as he has little experience with safety razors, I am worried it may be too much for him at first.
The EJ89 has such good reviews, but then I read it was good for finer hair, so I am worried it won't be the right one for him now.
The Merkur 34C, also read mixed reviews, and am worried it's not aggressive enough either.

Thoughts? Any recommendations for a beginner safety razor shaver with a dense beard? I know the blade you use also makes a big difference (I will get him a sample pack).

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thoughts? Any recommendations for a beginner safety razor shaver with a dense beard? I know the blade you use also makes a big difference (I will get him a sample pack).

Welcome to the forum!

I'll assume you'd be buying a new modern razor instead of vintage? If thats the case, for a beginners razor I'd highly recommend the one below.

RazoRock Teck II Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

You may find the same razor for sale on several different websites with much variance in price. Its a copy of the much loved Gillette post war Tech and of a rigid design that can help with coarse and dense beards. Paired with a sharp and smooth blade and a nice soap or cream I'm sure it would serve him well.

For blades I'd suggest a sample pack containing Polsilver, Derby Extra, Gillette Silver Blue, Feather, Perma-Sharp Super, any or all of the Gillette 7 O'Clock series "Green, Black, Yellow" and he should be pretty well covered.

I can suggest a site that allows you to buy as many or as few of each blade as you like.

All Double Edge Razor Blades - TryABlade.com

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Welcome to the forum!

For beginners, I would recommend a milder razor - something along the lines of the EJ89 that you were looking at. It's a safer option for someone new to DE shaving, particularly coming from cartridge razors, where there is a higher inclination to press on a bit. A milder razor takes a little longer to perfect the baby bottom smooth shaves, but also means less chance of nasty cuts if he makes a booboo the first few times. A more aggressive razor might get a bit more bitey ... :a46: :crying:

The coarse stubble is no problem, as it's the blade that looks after that bit, not the razor. A decent blade like the Gillette Silver Blue should take care of it, and he can fine tune this later with other blades to suit his preferences :thumbup1:

I've just put this thread up today ... The Wanderer’s Guide For Newbies ... which might have some useful insights for you :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I think your beau might really appreciate an adjustable razor. He can start slow and perfect his technique, and then dial it up. A vintage Gllette Slim might look really fine under the Christmas Tree.

I have a tough beard so I bought the Muhle R41. It was just what I needed to get the closest shave of my life. I had no problem with it being too aggressive.

However, the Ming Shi 2000S (Futur Clone) is adjustable and aggressive on setting 6 but not as aggressive as the R41, in my opinion.

smu

Hi guys, I have been reading reviews and searching the Internet in order to try and find a good DE safety razor for my boyfriend (Christmas gift), but I keep reading mix reviews. If I could get some opinions, I would really appreciate it!

Background info: He usually uses an electric razor to trim his beard as short as possible, and then he finishes off using a cartridge razor. He dislikes to shave because he has a denser/coarser beard than the average Caucasian, and sensitive skin, therefore he avoids shaving as much as possible (usually every 7-14 days). He has never investigated other shaving options, and just works with what he has.

I read the Muhler41 is pretty aggressive (which would be good for his coarse beard, i think?), but then as he has little experience with safety razors, I am worried it may be too much for him at first.
The EJ89 has such good reviews, but then I read it was good for finer hair, so I am worried it won't be the right one for him now.
The Merkur 34C, also read mixed reviews, and am worried it's not aggressive enough either.

I used to use electrics and I will never go back, but I actually enjoy wet shaving with a good DE, brush, and soap. This may seem like sacrilege on a forum like this but I must ask, are you sure he really wants a razor? If he really hates shaving, and has sensitive skin like you say he does, maybe he just needs a better electric like a Braun. When I worked two and three jobs and needed my shaves to be fast, I used a Braun electric in the middle of their range and it was very good. I'm of Italian and Portuguese descent with a pretty thick beard of tough hair. I do not have sensitive skin, but I think people who do usually do well with electrics. With a good one he might not have to use the cartridges to finish his grooming.

I have about a hundred double edge and single edge razors (and some 10 shavette)
And I second the idea of the adjustable razor. There are quit a few decent prized Gillette Slims and Gillette super adjustable on eBay. There are a couple of new adjustable models on the market and if you ask me, merkur futur is the most bang for your

This may seem like sacrilege on a forum like this but I must ask, are you sure he really wants a razor? If he really hates shaving, and has sensitive skin like you say he does, maybe he just needs a better electric like a Braun. When I worked two and three jobs and needed my shaves to be fast, I used a Braun electric in the middle of their range and it was very good. I'm of Italian and Portuguese descent with a pretty thick beard of tough hair. I do not have sensitive skin, but I think people who do usually do well with electrics. With a good one he might not have to use the cartridges to finish his grooming.

That's a good point. I had never considered it. He never asked for a razor, but i did mention to him that I wanted to eventually upgrade his razor, and make his life less painful haha. He was very receptive to the idea. He just dislikes shaving because of the discomfort, but he doesn't mind it per say. Some days are not so bad, others are tougher on his skin. Ever since he started using an exfoliating face wash, his shaving has improved too I think. What he has been using though is 10years+ (from his teens), although I am not sure if that makes any difference considering he changes the blade.

Overall thank you so much for your suggestions. Keep them coming! I think I will be looking for an adjustable razor (and I will research the electric ones too). I like really like the thought of the adjustable ones though. The milder settings can get him used to a safety razor, and then he can go up to what he needs for an effortless BBS. I also like the idea because it means he can keep using it for many many years to come. He is not a very material person, and I know he would like something of quality that he can use for a great many years, without changing it.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Don’t know if you’ve visited the B/S/T (buy, sell, trade) thread on here, but there’s a beautiful Aristocrat Adjustable on sale this week ... the seller says it’s never been used and it has original packaging and blades. It is stunning and if I received that from my girlfriend, I would be impressed and quite appreciative.

Good suggestions here, GF, but I suspect your boyfriend could benefit from an entire kit: razor, blades, brush and soap. I found the traditional brush and soap was at least a big step up in my shaving results as the razor and blades. The Italian Barber website, which is run by the RazoRock people, has the RazoRock razor mentioned above, to which you could add a synthetic brush and soap, all for reasonable prices. The Big Bruce brush is $13.99 (the regular Bruce is on sale for $9.99 but seems to be sold out) and Mitchell's Wool Fat soap is $11.99. The RazoRock Teck II razor is $7.99. There. Your boyfriend owes you dinner at a 3-star restaurant.

I suggest modern adjustable razor Rockwell 6c or Parker Variant. He could start mild and easy and when skills improve use higher more aggressive settings. Especially Rockwell 6c is beautiful shiny thing and has gotten excellent reviews. I have Rockwell 6s and it is excellent shaver. I would not buy old used vintage razor because a new razor is always a new and more suitable as a gift.

I like really like the thought of the adjustable ones though. The milder settings can get him used to a safety razor, and then he can go up to what he needs for an effortless BBS.
I think you are on the right track and buy new if it is a gift. The Merkur Progress or Parker Variant would be a good choice with a selection of blades. Add a brush and soap and he is ready to go. Preparation and good lather are important considerations for a good shave.

I could sand wood with my whiskers. It's not as easy as there being a best suited razor. It's also about skin type. My neck and chin is delicate. Turns out my cheeks and mo are like old boots.

There ain't nothing like a de blade for cutting tough hair.

It's about finding a razor and blade combo that suits the operator. I get great shaves from an R41. I get even better shaves from a vintage tech. They are at opposite ends of the aggression spectrum. I thought my first razor (maggards oc) was good. But then I used the other two. They just keep getting better. But my technique is evolving also.

My face prefers a certain kind of sharp blade. Kai, 7 o'clock black, polsilver, perma sharp. Where other sharp blades like personna and gsb don't agree with me. But lesser sharp blades like voshkod and astra are still pretty good, not brilliant though. There is no real pattern. You just have to commit to a certain learning curve and testing period before you can get to where you want to be.

I think I was lucky. I found my zone pretty quick. Some can take upwards of a year to find what works. I have those two great razors Hotham suit me. The only things I'm still interested in are the Parker variant and possibly a high end oc, like a timeless.

For not much money you could get a teck II, a handle and an R41 and maybe a v2 head and handle and cover both ends plus the middle of the spectrum. All that would probably run under $50

I suggest modern adjustable razor Rockwell 6c or Parker Variant.
I saw that one and really liked it. So far I am tending towards the Rockwell 6c, however I will check out the Merkur Futur and compare, although I prefer the more classic look of the Rockwell.
Add a brush and soap and he is ready to go. Preparation and good lather are important considerations for a good shave.
For the longest time he was using shaving cream from a can, but being full of chemicals I was worried they were not helping his sensitive skin, so I bought him a brush(Parker Synthetic bristle brush)
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AAJDB9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and natural shaving cream and aftershave moisturizer last Christmas.
https://www.amazon.ca/Pacific-Shavi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AJM581CEYNYN4K3GC5QK
However I might get him another shaving cream (the Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream for sensitive skin), and/or a preshave oil to help make things even smoother. Any recommendations for inexpensive but good quality oils? I realized some tend to be quite $$, at least on Canadian websites.

You are looking at some excellent razors.

IMO, either the EJ89 or the Merkur 34C would be a great option. These are mild/moderate razors that work well for most (including me).

The R41 is another 'animal.' It is much more aggressive. Many like it. BUT, I and others find it a bit much.

Maggards have the best value pre shave oil I have found. But realistically, plain olive oil is cheaper again and does a similar job. If you want scented oils though, Maggards seems the cheaper ones I've seen.

I'll echo @mozartman. If there's a budget for the gift, I think it's better spent on a lower cost razor, a good cream, a good brush, and a pack of blades. If the budget is high, a really nice razor, like one of those listed above, makes a wonderful gift. But a $10 Weishi 9306 also shaves great.

It's pretty easy to find quality at low prices:
  • Weishi 9306 razor: ~$10
  • Omega Pro 49 brush: ~$10
  • Proraso Shaving Cream: ~$10
  • Blades (sampler or 100x): ~$10
  • Pinaud Clubman aftershave lotion (for the enjoyment of @GF13): ~$10
In my opinion, the brush and cream transform shaving from a chore to a luxury. It's also great prep for shaving. That can often lead to patience with the razor, which reduces irritation.

Google the video on "shave like your grandpa". It's excellent.

The goal is:
Shave every day!
Not 7-14 days of growth hair.
Sorry, I had forgotten:
Buy an adjustable Parker Variant.

However I might get him another shaving cream (the Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream for sensitive skin), and/or a preshave oil to help make things even smoother. Any recommendations for inexpensive but good quality oils?
The TfOBS Jermyn Street Collection is a good cream and easy to lather. I would not suggest pre-shave products till he has tried working the lather into the stubble especially at the base adjacent to the skin. Hydrating the stubble is very important and spending st least 3 minutes working in the lather will pay dividends especially when dealing with many days of growth. A good lather has all the slickness needed for a shave.
Mitchells Wool Fat contains lanolin and is a popular soap so worth considering. Correct loading with the brush will make a great lather. If you have hard water in your locality just load more soap / cream.

The TfOBS Jermyn Street Collection is a good cream and easy to lather. I would not suggest pre-shave products till he has tried working the lather into the stubble especially at the base adjacent to the skin. Hydrating the stubble is very important and spending st least 3 minutes working in the lather will pay dividends especially when dealing with many days of growth. A good lather has all the slickness needed for a shave.

Awesome thanks so much! I rather spend the money on a ceramic lathering bowl than a pre shave oil anyways.

Top Bottom