What's new

Help from those of you who own both a Blackbird and a Dart

I currently own a Dart and it's not only a great looking razor but also a great shaver. My first couple of shaves were a bit rough but the more I use it the better results I've been getting. Granted it does have a lot of blade feel and will bite if careless. And it demands full concentration during the shave, at least on my end.
Anyways using this razor has made me curious about the Blackland Blackbird as a future purchase. I've been doing a bit of research and it seems a lot of people are saying that the Blackbird gives a smoother, more comfortable shave than the Dart.
Granted this is a YMMV situation and Shane's 30-day return policy makes the purchase appealing.........BUT I'd still like to hear about your experience and comparisons of both razors. So what do you guys say?
If it helps any, besides the Dart I also regularly shave with a GC.68 and .84 and a Futur.

Completely different experience, the Blackbird tugging against the grain on my head didn't last in my den. The Dart is a keeper. Not as aggressive but ultimately more effective in my use.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I had both for a time and much preferred the Blackbird. The Dart always felt weirdly harsh to me, maybe it's just the angle I used it at. The Blackbird has a lot of blade feel, but it's smooth and it rarely bit me. I actually wish I still had my Blackbird, it was my #1 for quite awhile and very distinctive looking.

I own both and I think they both have a very similar feel. However, for me, the Blackbird is a very slightly smoother and noticeably more efficient shaver. I see people talking about the lack of blade rigidity in the design of the Blackbird, but on my face it makes no difference at all and I have no trouble going against the grain with either the Blackbird or the Dart.

Of all my razors, the Blackbird is by far my favorite. The Dart is probably number 2, but I haven't picked it up since I got the Blackbird. I think the Blackbird is clearly worth the extra money.

I pif'd my OC Jet because I felt the teeth. Still have my Dart. I found it smoother and just as efficient.

I owned both but decided to sell them in favor of 6S. Both very similar and great in efficiency but different in shave feel if that makes sense. Slightly prefered Dart over Blackbird, though you can make Blackbird glide over face when used under shallow angle. Blackbird also looks more gorgeous.

Kept blackbird as it was smoother and more efficient than Dart.

Sold blackbird after using my General V2. It had been amazing, and I was quite happy with my Blackbird.

The blackbird was rough/aggressive for me to use , really. I could use it every once in a while but I had to be super careful and I was likely to get some cuts, And my skin always felt very tender afterwards. It was so beautiful that I really wanted to be able to use it. But I had to sell it.

I got the dart and at first it was rough but not as bad as the blackbird. Then I kept playing around and experimenting with it and I discovered that if I brought the handle in close to my face , thereby increasing the blade angle , It relieved just enough pressure to let me be able to shave with it comfortably every day if I wanted to.

But I find too many other razors to be smoother, still efficient, and more comfortable (Karve, timeless, tech, fat boy, de luxe, game changer, UK aristocrats), so I don't actually end up reaching for my Dart very much at all.

Also a note, I have tried both the machined and the polished Dart versions and for me the polished version is more aggressive , to the point where I can't even use it. It reminded me a lot of the blackbird. I guess the polishing removed enough material from the top cap to let the blade have just a little more exposure , and so that brought it over the tolerance line for me. I had to return it to Shane with regrets. It was a gorgeous piece.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Had both, sold the Dart and kept the Blackbird. Just the best shave I’ve ever had, my face feels like a sheet of glass afterwards.

The Dart was close, but didn’t match up for me so it got moved on.

Both awesome razors, really up to you which. Can’t go wrong with either.

FWIW, I have both the SB and the OC and love em both.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
I got the dart and at first it was rough but not as bad as the blackbird. Then I kept playing around and experimenting with it and I discovered that if I brought the handle in close to my face , thereby increasing the blade angle , It relieved just enough pressure to let me be able to shave with it comfortably every day if I wanted to.

But I find too many other razors to be smoother, still efficient, and more comfortable (Karve, timeless, tech, fat boy, de luxe, game changer, UK aristocrats), so I don't actually end up reaching for my Dart very much at all.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

@sugardaddy - My experience with the Dart mirrors yours exactly.
I'm also eyeing the Timeless in SS. What gap is yours?

Thanks all for your input. I guess when it comes down to it it's a YMMV situation. What works for someone may not work for another.
I don't mind the blade feel on the Dart and I've been getting some great shaves lately as I gain more experience with it. So I don't the blade feel on the Blackbird is going to bother me.
I'm leaning very heavily on gifting myself a Blackbird when things get back to normal.

Top Bottom