What's new

Help... Frankenrazor or Stock?

I picked up four razors this past weekend -- I'm confident about the correctness of the silver plated 1918 Ball-end Thin Cap, and the 57 Flare Tip Super Speed, but I want to go about cleaning the other two correctly (photos attached), I'd like to know if the pre-war Fat Handle Techs (triangle slots) were ever silver plated, or if they were all nickel plated. Finally, after doing a bit of searching on the net, the last razor has me stumped (photos attached). I'm not sure if it's a gold plated thick-cap old type head with a Contract-Tech handle, or if the handle is original to the razor, and if so, what was it marketed as (I've seen photos of the fluted handle on Contract Techs, and I've seen a photo of the thick cap head with that handle). The black finish is mostly off of the handle and the metal below appears either aluminum or a zamac/potmetal appearance. The gold wash appears to be mostly intact, and I'd like to keep it that way if it will hold up, but not adverse to going back to brass and maybe replate at a later date if it's worth it, but any suggestions on refurbishing the handle would make it show better (I use all of the razors I've acquired, no trailer queens allowed). Ideas if it's a Frankenrazor or stock? Apologies for the slew of questions, any and all information greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• FHT1.jpg
    FHT1.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 32
  • FHT2.jpg
    FHT2.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 32
  • FHT3.jpg
    FHT3.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 35
  • FR1.jpg
    FR1.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 33
  • FR2.jpg
    FR2.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 34
  • FR3.jpg
    FR3.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 34
R

romsitsa

Hello, the fat handle Tech is nickel plated, the other one is post 1921 Old type head on a contract Tech (most likely military issue) handle. Handle is painted zamak, there is not much you can do.

Adam

I think the handle is original. I've got one just like it.

R

romsitsa

Why do you think it’s original? Old types ceased in the early 30ies, these handle were introduced mid 40ies.

Adam

Why do you think it’s original? Old types ceased in the early 30ies, these handle were introduced mid 40ies.

Adam
Because since I got mine I've seen other examples. Gillette is notorious (for lack of a better term) for putting out razors using parts on hand. It's more likely that Gillette put them out than that numerous identical frankenrazors, from independent sources, start showing up 70 years later. Just seems logical to me.

R

romsitsa

The using up parts by Gillette is more of a myth than reality. The only “cobbled together” set was the Red&black and these also only contained New parts. Different generation razor models were never mixed, it makes no sense as they were protected by different patents.
On the other hand many-many million Old types and Techs were produced, so mating a head and handle by the end user over the years is more than likely and finding such examples even by the dozen wouldn’t make up a pattern, imho.

Adam

Shots of the razor after cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles and toothbrush work with Dawn, then a quick work over with a rouge-impregnated cotton cloth on the head/base plate and Flitz polish for the handle. The handle is heavier than aluminum and did not polish like aluminum which leads me to believe it's a Zamac/pot metal composition (reminds me of the material that the old Matchbox cars were made of). I originally thought the gold wash on the head was pretty much gone, but after working it over with the rouge cloth a nice, warm satin gold patina versus a bright brass shone through--I still think the gold wash is missing, but the head isn't the red-brass of the other New short comb or Fat Handle Tech I have. Under the cap you can see where some of the gold wash and lacquer are. If it shaves well, I might look into getting the handle done with Cerakote -- I also might look for a Contract Tech head to complete the set and get a new handle for the thick cap.

Attachments

• FR4.jpg
    FR4.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 15
  • FR5.jpg
    FR5.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 17
  • FR6.jpg
    FR6.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 16
1. I think you're going to find it shaves great. Mine does. It's a good weight for the head.
2. I don't think it's zamac. I said in my other post that these handles are in too good condition to be zamac (imho). Someone said maybe pewter, but I said no at the time because it wasn't shiny enough. But I never polished mine, just cleaned it before painting it black again (Testors). After you used the Flitz on the handle I could believe pewter. It looks great.

As I was polishing it, I kept thinking pewter as well (looked like a lot of the pewter plates I've seen), but wasn't sure if Gillette would have used pewter or not.

It's probably some sort of Zinc Alloy just not necessarily the cheapo Zamac Zinc Alloy. The Supply Single Edge also comes in a Zinc Alloy version which must be considerably better than Zamac. Ya would think anyway. Mind you I haven't seen one single review of the Zinc Alloy version.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It's a franken, the contract handle razor.

.... many-many million Old types and Techs were produced, so mating a head and handle by the end user over the years is more than likely and finding such examples even by the dozen wouldn’t make up a pattern, imho.

I have to agree, especially when the original old type handles were so prone to cracking. It's why people regularly find Durham-Duplex and fat Tech handles on these older (1920s-'30s) comb heads.

I said in that earlier referenced thread that some contract handles were brass but since I've received two that look exactly like they were cast of zamak, one black and one worn gold-wash.

Top Bottom