What's new

Help for the rookie

I’ve always used Gillete Fusion with Nivea gel but want to get into using a straight double edge blade shaving - I’m not happy with the lack of clean shave feel & cartridges are a small mortgage payment over time.

Since I’m a rookie I don’t want to break the bank. I bought a brush now for the razor handle: would you recommend one that is adjustable or non-adjustable?

Also, because I wear dress shirts for work my neck seems to get irritated due to collar so was going to try Barbosol orange for sensitive skin.

I found using baby powder on my neck helped a lot to cut the irritation from the shirts. Is this still good or do you recommend an alternative now that I’m going this route? I tried the Gillette gel aftershave gel and this just seems to make the irritation worse.

Sorry in advance if my inquiries above seem stupid - never had anyone explain this route of shaving before.

I like adjustables especially if you are just starting out and don't know yet how mild or aggressive a razor should be for you. A vintage Gillette Slim or Super Adjustable would be a great start. These can be found pretty cheap on eBay or right here in the BST forum. If baby powder is working for you and the scent is okay then keep it up. I use Pinaud Clubman powder which smells a bit like the aftershave. For the soap, I would suggest a tub of Proraso.

Welcome to the funny farm of life.
a straight (open blade) is not a de safety.

now first start with a decent soap for that brush start to lather up and shave. You might be surprised what your razor can do with some decent soap.
budget try proraso, Arko
A little bit more try stirling.

after that and you still want a de...though I love my qshave adjustable and it is dirt cheap.... it can also be a unwielding bloodthirsty .... you get the point so someone will have a better solution. Oneblade is not it because of blade/shave price.

in the end have fun it is a trip but you will learn and enjoy

I like adjustables especially if you are just starting out and don't know yet how mild or aggressive a razor should be for you. A vintage Gillette Slim or Super Adjustable would be a great start. These can be found pretty cheap on eBay or right here in the BST forum. If baby powder is working for you and the scent is okay then keep it up. I use Pinaud Clubman powder which smells a bit like the aftershave. For the soap, I would suggest a tub of Proraso.

So use this instead of the Barbosal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Welcome to B&B!

Price of your razor is going to vary depending on where you are in the world. A couple of starter razors are: Edwin Jagger, or Merkur 34C. These are pretty mild razors and have a good flexibility of shaving angle which make them easy to learn.

Given your neck problems a good razor might be the Rockwell 6C. It's also not two expensive. It is adjustable in so far as it has different plates that you can swap. I have found the Rockwell 6C and 6S brilliant for shaving my neck because you can "ride the cap" effectively with them. This is where you shave at a shallower angle by bringing the razor handle SLIGHTLY more perpendicular to the face than usual. I stress the word slightly.

Neck irritation can be down to a number of factors: not a close enough shave, too much pressure, incorrect shaving angle. You should work out your growth pattern on your neck so that you know when you are shaving with the grain or against.

I would advise you to start with a synthetic shaving brush and a sensitive shaving cream like proraso sensitive.

One trick to try even before you switch to DE shaving is to finish the shave with a hot / cold flannel application.

Soak the flannel in really hot water, wring out and apply it to your face. Then repeat this with very cold water. Then finish with after shave. If you have a sensitivity to shaving products, this technique will lift them off with the hot flannel, and then cool and close the pores with the cold one.

Welcome aboard! I vote for an Edwin Jagger DE 89 or the Mercur 34HD a synthetic brush, some variety of Proraso and get a sample pack of DE blades. Preshave gels or oils are optional. Watch videos on the Shave Wiki here and on YouTube. Learn to be patient and use no pressure on the razor. Let the razor do it’s thing, that was the hardest for me. Map your beard growth so you know how it grows and how you should shave. Practice will do wonders! Most important of all, stick with your initial purchases to start this journey for a month or two before you go seeking the latest or greatest. Once you get your technique down you can get great shaves from just about any razor.

Yes, that is good soap and easy to lather. It will also provide more cushioning for your skin. What blade are you going to use?

Astra blades seem to be well reviewed.

Should I go single or double?

Astra blades seem to be well reviewed.

Should I go single or double?

I would suggest double edge blades, get some practice in then try a single edge razor or injector razor.

Astra SP’s are liked by many and are sharp and smooth.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Here's my standard advice for newcomers to double edge shaving. Hopefully it will point you in the right direction, even if you end up using a different type of razor. The first four posts are the guide, the rest of the thread is feedback and conversation.

There is nothing wrong in starting with an injector! You'll have to make that call. I second the suggestion to go with a blade sampler should you decide to start with a DE razor. If you decide to go with an injector the blade choices are few.

Welcome aboard!

First, there are no stupid questions.

Second, I suggest you read through the Wiki and watch a few videos.

To answer your questions, I suggest picking one set-up to stick with for awhile until you figure out your preferences and get your technique down. You could go with an adjustable, if you like but that adds a number of variables. Two great options are the Merkur 34 C and the EJ 89 series, both are in the mild/moderate range and are fine shavers. I would also pick up a blade sampler pak or two. Then you need a brush and either a good cream or a soap. My recommendation would be a soap stick, like La Toja which I find is one of the easiest ways to get a great lather.

The main thing is recognize that DE is a skill that takes awhile to develop, so be patient with your self! :thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup:

Welcome to B&B.
The Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89 are good razors to start and both are used by experienced DE shavers.
Not sure about the collar irritation but keep using the powder for now; barbers used it in the past but maybe that was because shirt collars were starched. A good moisturiser after the shave may help.
Astra SP are good blades but do try a blade sampler to find your preferred blades.

When I first started in college, I started with a cheap weishi razor with derby blades I ordered on amazon. I got the “premium shave set” I think by van der Hagen either on amazon or sometimes available at wal mart pretty cheaply. Even that was far superior lubrication than anything from a can. If you’re sure you’ll stick with it, you could invest in a slightly better razor like a Merkur 34C or even one of the west coast shaving razor. Never used the west coSt razors but they look pretty good and seem to have pretty good reviews and they’re very inexpensive. You could order a decent boar or synthetic brush pretty cheap and get a puck of soap or tube of cream also pretty cheaply.

I also wear dress shirts for work every day and it took a little bit of trial and error in technique to prevent the irritation you are referring to but shave prep and good post shave care have almost eliminated it. Good luck! I used to be a fusion user and switched in large part due to cost on a college student budget. I will never go back.

Hello & welcome. As you are getting recommendations, depending on where you live, shipping may be expensive. What country do you live in?

Top Bottom