What's new

Help for my whites

Hello gents, today our battalion was issued our summer whites:cursing:. Now I'm at a total loss, how in the world do you polish white shoes? What kind of polish/wax is used. I can do a hell of a shine on my black oxfords but I have no clue about the whites. These things are going to deepen my already flaming hatred for the Navy's uniform. Thanks for the help gents.

It,s been years, but as a medic I tried wearing whites for a while. If I remember correctly Kiwi made a white paste polish, and either Kiwi or Esquire had a liquid white polish. Either could be buffed to a shine. You might get some of the neutral paste wax to put a higher shine, but they will never shine like the black dress oxfords.

I found I did not care for the whites, so went back to summer tans, called 1505 in Air Force at the time, or dress blues for cooler weather.

Hadn't thought about AF issue 1505's in years. When I had to wear them, they were mostly or all poly and showed any/all perspiration instantly. Awful stuff. I was a medic, but never had to wear white shoes while wearing whites; actually I can't recall ever wearing white pants. If I did wear the white pants, it would have been when I was doing some training in a hospital (Andrews AFB) and we wore black shoes or boots. The rest of my active/reserve time was air evac related and we only wore white tops.

I can not help with the polishing, but once they are, I would suggest medical/lab. non skid shoe covers amazon has them box 100 around $13.

As previously mentioned, Kiwi make white polish. Alternatively, you could try toothpaste with an old toothbrush, or sports whitener, as used on plimsolls. Note: do not use the latter if there's any chance of water coming into contact with your shoes, I found this out the hard way when I used this on my hat, and of course it rained, next thing I had white drops raining down on my uniform :scared:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Many brands make neutral (clear) polish, and some as well make one that is actually white.

Kiwi white liquid polish seem more like paint to me but certainly can make the shoes look white. If the shoes are new and unmarked I would first try putting several coats of neutral or clear paste wax on them as a protective barrier and try to keep them up with a daily buff and reapplication as needed.

Top Bottom