What's new

Help finding a slant head.

Hello everyone, I am looking for a slant head. My Mercur HD slant is my favorite razor and I would like to know if anyone makes a slant head similar to the Merkur that I can attach to a handle I already own? The Gillette short comb I’ve been using fits, but the threads on the post are a little thin for the handle and the handle can definitely accept a larger post.
I see a few slant heads out there for sale, but really looking for one similar to Merkur. Here’s a pic of the handle, it was made by a member here 10+ yrs ago. He passed away shortly after making it. It is superb quality and I would like to keep using it.
Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
6EB35C29-50CE-4C52-8676-0E0B5F957E7A.jpeg

Razorock G37 is a three-piece razor cloned from the older Merkur slant design. It shaves the same. They used to sell the head separately, but I think now you have to buy the complete razor for about $20. That would give you an extra handle and RR has some nice ones. You could use the extra handle on another razor or keep it for a spare.

Thank you gentlemen for your quick suggestions! Both options are very affordable, so I will order both. I’ll post pics when they come in. Thank you again!

Another option is the ikon B1 slant head. I have one along with a Merkur 37C and a Parker semi slant. To me, they all give a similar comfortable shave. I see Maggard Razors has them but I have also seen them on eBay in the past.

Hi,

A vintage Solingen-made Slant head is always a good choice. Names like Lutz, for example. One foundry in Solingen made these seemingly for all the German razor makers. They offer a differential shaving experience. One side is more aggressive than the other. I had one many years ago which I piffed after getting my first Fasan Double Slant. It was a good razor, and was my favorite until the Fasan came along.

Stan

Another option is the ikon B1 slant head. I have one along with a Merkur 37C and a Parker semi slant. To me, they all give a similar comfortable shave. I see Maggard Razors has them but I have also seen them on eBay in the past.
Does that Ikon only come in black? That is one curvy slant

I believe so, I got this one a good 5 or 6 years ago. It's called the DLC coating; diamond-like carbon. Glides smoothly across the skin.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Is that one of Bob's Bull Mastiff handles? Sweet!

You can always look for vintage Merkur, Hoffritz, or Coles 4-piece travel razors. They're not cheap any longer because others want to do exactly what you are @Champion of Capua

Is that one of Bob's Bull Mastiff handles? Sweet!

You can always look for vintage Merkur, Hoffritz, or Coles 4-piece travel razors. They're not cheap any longer because others want to do exactly what you are @Champion of Capua
It is one of Bobs, wish I would have bought a dozen more. I’ve been using it the last ten yrs with a replated short comb he sold with it. Thank you for the travel razor suggestion, did not think of that!

Just received the G37, first impressions, looks great! The head looks identical to my 37G, not sure how they avoid getting sued on that one. Going to throw a Feather in it right now and see how she fares. Also very impressed with that HD handle, if I didn’t already have a nice handle, I’d have no problems with it.
05FB4814-3DA5-4899-AC12-959BDA4C8509.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Looks like you found a good one! I'm afraid I'll have to confiscate that 37G, though.

Not sure there's any protection for a Canadian company knocking off a German razor that is no longer in production. I know they call it the "German 37" but as you know the 37 is a two-piece. The Merkur 36 was the three-piece version. Since it is no longer made, I suspect RazoRock simply slipped into the niche. But very few would know what a "German 36" was.

O.H.

Thank you Big_T for the iKon recommendation. She just came in today and I couldn’t be happier. My first shave was as effortless as can be. Most of the time I couldn’t tell if I even had a blade in it. Bobs Bull Mastiff handle is going to stay on this razor full time.
0EF6D498-EEED-4CA6-8C4C-0335BAA1CA26.jpeg

Glad you like it. It does give a comfortable shave. I've had mine for a good 6 years now and the coating is chipping a bit on the edges, but it is cosmetic only, does not affect performance. In hindsight, a bit more effort in handling it while cleaning would be prudent. By coincidence, I also shaved with my B1 yesterday and with a feather blade.

Top Bottom