What's new

Help finding a banded boar knot.

Hi all,
I've just completed polishing an Ever-Ready 200 handle and am now contemplating installing a boar knot as I've got a number of badgers already. My favorite boar is a Semogue 1305 and I'd like to find something similar to it. My first thought was to just purchase a Semogue and remove the knot. It just seem wasteful to me to do that, but it will be my fallback position. Thus, my question to the group....Has anyone here had experience purchasing the banded boar knots from China on eBay (aceshaving)? What are they like? Do they compare to the Semogue? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

PS - I'm aware of TGN and Whipped Dog, but I want a banded boar and don't care too much for the plastic collar version from TGN.

Give a ebay a try. There's several people that sell them so long as you don't mine waiting for them to ship from China.

I went with an Omega 80266 in a Rubberset brush I restored and was thoroughly pleased. It was $10 for the knot attached to a cheap plastic handle that I had no qualms about destroying. If I had to do it over again, I think I would set it at the original loft it had in the Omega handle. As it is, it's a tad bit higher to make it look more like the original Rubberset knot.

I'm not into boar, but everything I have bought from ACE was top notch and I would not be afraid of trying anything he sells.

I went with an Omega 80266 in a Rubberset brush I restored and was thoroughly pleased. It was $10 for the knot attached to a cheap plastic handle that I had no qualms about destroying. If I had to do it over again, I think I would set it at the original loft it had in the Omega handle. As it is, it's a tad bit higher to make it look more like the original Rubberset knot.

Yup, I know what you mean about setting the knot at just the right loft. I learned the hard way after my first restoration by setting the loft entirely too low for my liking......permanently. Now I set the knot temporarily and use it a few times before setting it permanently in epoxy. You live and learn....

I'm not into boar, but everything I have bought from ACE was top notch and I would not be afraid of trying anything he sells.

Thanks for the reply Big Jim. I love my badgers, but I do like a good boar once in a while. I'll probably end up going with the ACE boar....for the price, I've got little to lose.

Ron; Before I used an Omega Mighty Midget for my Ever-ready 250 restoration- I corresponded with Virginia Sheng. Initially she said that she would produce one for me, then when I was ready to place the order- she declined from her previous agreement. This has been an excellent choice, and has not shed the first hair whatsoever; inexpensive to boot. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Omega 11047 Cased Badger and Boar Bristle Brush Knot Donor.JPG$Omega 11047 Mighty Midget Cased Badger Hair and Boar Bristle Knot Extraction Complete.JPG$Ever-Ready 250 Art Deco Style Shaving Brush Banded Badger and Boar Hair Knot Bloom Detail Full V.JP$Ever-Ready 250 Art Deco Style Shaving Brush Banded Badger and Boar Hair Knot Bloom Overhead View.JP

Top Bottom