What's new

Help!! Facial hair like iron filings

Some great advice. Thank you. I will try that and see what happens. I have wondered if the hard water effects the lather, but I can make good lathers.
I find that due to my facial hair been tough, I do a 4,5 pass shave then touch up.

Strangely, I find I am now leaving a 2day gap between shaves so my hair is longer and get a better cut.
Thank you for your suggestions. I am definitely going to try it out.
One last thing I just read that you use an R41. This is a very controversial razor where many people report feelings of tugging and roughness(me as well, although way less now after i discovered my soapy water technique) . I highly recommend a FATIP open comb or RAZOROCK GAMECHANGER. 84p (Best razor I ever bought).

Have you thought about a GEM single edge razor and GEM Personna stainless coated single edge blades? These blades are thick, rigid, and sharp, and last for 10+ shaves for me. Usage technique is similar to a DE.

One last thing I just read that you use an R41. This is a very controversial razor where many people report feelings of tugging and roughness(me as well, although way less now after i discovered my soapy water technique) . I highly recommend a FATIP open comb or RAZOROCK GAMECHANGER. 84p (Best razor I ever bought).
I have 2 Fatip razors. Piccolo and grande. Use those often.
Have a fine marvel too which I find good.

Have you thought about a GEM single edge razor and GEM Personna stainless coated single edge blades? These blades are thick, rigid, and sharp, and last for 10+ shaves for me. Usage technique is similar to a DE.
I have never thought about using a gem.

Asker, I have the dreaded blade alignment issue with both my Fatips. I takes me a while to align.

Asker, I have the dreaded blade alignment issue with both my Fatips. I takes me a while to align.
Then give the soapy water technique a try with the R41 and let me know how you get along. Besides a slight misalignment doesn't cause any truly noticeable problems unless you have OCD. The reason I recommended the Fatips is because they hold the blade very rigidly and thus prevent blade chatter(a factor which can cause roughness in the shave). Although the Fine Marvel razor is a very good razor as well I hear.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
There is a lot of good advice information for you and I will add a few more suggestions.
I think you are doing some things right like shaving after a shower and using different hydration methods.
The secret to a nice shave is have the whiskers cleaned & hydrated and have a shave good soap for the razor to glide along with the best razor and blade affordable for a tough beard.
My 1st suggestion is map your beard for your whisker directions. 2 or 3 days growth will tell its grain direction and use beard reduction passes for a much easier shave(you already now this but others here might not). Lots of folks with a disposable razors roam all over their face and not knowing what direction their grain direction and hate shaving. I learned here on B&B about whisker grain direction and map the beard because I was not taught this important procedure of shaving .
2nd suggestion some one mentioned Gem razors and they are right on the money for that remark or even a Schick E type for your beard type. Personna SS PTFE injector blades are very sharp and affordable and smooth out after a few shaves. Don't be fooled about vintage razors because they are just great products that are used even today many decades later.
Gem is a great razor and is very affordable and were around for many decades before the disposables came about.
For your type of beard I think a Gem Micromatic open comb or the Micromatic Clog Pruf would be a good for you. Easy to find at Antique stores or on E-bay at very affordable prices. It takes a few shaves to dial them in and use the Gem coated SS PTFE blades and not the carbon ones because they are better and are as sharp as a feather blade but mellow out after a few shaves. You need strength and the sharpest blade to slice copper tough whiskers and Gem Personna is one of the best you will find.
3rd suggestion is keep doing your pre-shave shower part routine and clean your face with this CeraVe hand bar soap with a synthetic shave brush before a shave. It should exfoliate your skin from oils, dead skin and will hydrate your whiskers to full potential I also use a dollop of clear aloe Vera gel on the beard before lathering with shave soap. Total hydration of whiskers and skin- it does not get any better. You do not need a lot of CeraVe soap and it last & lasts &..... great stuff.
I will leave some information for you to consider and good luck.
I buy my blades connaught UK because I live up north and this a good company to deal with.Expect 2to 3 weeks delivery or maybe longer with mail being slower than usual. GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades - https://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html
The photo map of the beard map is kind of weird looking even to me but it WORKS. Print one off and use it as a reference and any one else who has not mapped their beard grain direction.

Beard map whisker direction .....................GEM razors aggression & Efficiency............Blade chart
FullSizeRender.jpg
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Schick E type injector (great razor)................Great soap with a brush applied to the face.... Advantages of SE razor
Schick E2 1937Pat  MFG 1930's &40,s(2).jpg
CeraVe 2 (2).jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Good thing I'm bored or I would of not thrown so much information at you. Darn Covid - 19 B.S.
Have some great shaves!

I think I've probably got a medium grade hair. So we're probably all stabbing here but based on my many years of fiddling....

Have you tried an aggressive razor and fairly sharp blade, and going down to a 2 pass?

I've found in all my attempts that I get a much better shave, closeness and comfort (and speed!) with an aggressive razor and just 2 passes (with/across and then against). The blades also seem to last a bit longer as I'm doing a 2 pass every other day & extremely close shave vs a 3 pass every other day or having to shave daily with a less aggressive razor. I get no burn or irritation with just 2 aggressive passes. 3 pass starts to irritate and often the shave is worse. And the nice close shave means every other day shaving so my face gets a chance to heal a couple days.

My personal favorite is the Muhle R41 with Gillette Silver Blue (with Astra Superior Platinum and Gillette Yellow just behind..I seem to recall the Gillette 7oclock black wasn't bad, the Derby were no good, and I didn't like any of the Personas of any type). FYI, while some love Feathers, I've tried them in the R41 several times... nick city and razor burn. Entire face ends up with weepers. So the key is the R41 and the sharpest blade you can take.

Oh, could try a slant? Go for more of a slice than a chop? I haven't personally been a fan of slants but I know many here will disagree with me.

There is a lot of good advice information for you and I will add a few more suggestions.
I think you are doing some things right like shaving after a shower and using different hydration methods.
The secret to a nice shave is have the whiskers cleaned & hydrated and have a shave good soap for the razor to glide along with the best razor and blade affordable for a tough beard.
My 1st suggestion is map your beard for your whisker directions. 2 or 3 days growth will tell its grain direction and use beard reduction passes for a much easier shave(you already now this but others here might not). Lots of folks with a disposable razors roam all over their face and not knowing what direction their grain direction and hate shaving. I learned here on B&B about whisker grain direction and map the beard because I was not taught this important procedure of shaving .
2nd suggestion some one mentioned Gem razors and they are right on the money for that remark or even a Schick E type for your beard type. Personna SS PTFE injector blades are very sharp and affordable and smooth out after a few shaves. Don't be fooled about vintage razors because they are just great products that are used even today many decades later.
Gem is a great razor and is very affordable and were around for many decades before the disposables came about.
For your type of beard I think a Gem Micromatic open comb or the Micromatic Clog Pruf would be a good for you. Easy to find at Antique stores or on E-bay at very affordable prices. It takes a few shaves to dial them in and use the Gem coated SS PTFE blades and not the carbon ones because they are better and are as sharp as a feather blade but mellow out after a few shaves. You need strength and the sharpest blade to slice copper tough whiskers and Gem Personna is one of the best you will find.
3rd suggestion is keep doing your pre-shave shower part routine and clean your face with this CeraVe hand bar soap with a synthetic shave brush before a shave. It should exfoliate your skin from oils, dead skin and will hydrate your whiskers to full potential I also use a dollop of clear aloe Vera gel on the beard before lathering with shave soap. Total hydration of whiskers and skin- it does not get any better. You do not need a lot of CeraVe soap and it last & lasts &..... great stuff.
I will leave some information for you to consider and good luck.
I buy my blades connaught UK because I live up north and this a good company to deal with.Expect 2to 3 weeks delivery or maybe longer with mail being slower than usual. GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades - https://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html
The photo map of the beard map is kind of weird looking even to me but it WORKS. Print one off and use it as a reference and any one else who has not mapped their beard grain direction.

Beard map whisker direction .....................GEM razors aggression & Efficiency............Blade chart
View attachment 1102206 View attachment 1102214 View attachment 1102208

Schick E type injector (great razor)................Great soap with a brush applied to the face.... Advantages of SE razor
View attachment 1102220 View attachment 1102221 View attachment 1102207
Good thing I'm bored or I would of not thrown so much information at you. Darn Covid - 19 B.S.
Have some great shaves!

Thank you for taking the time to show me this. I live in the UK too. Also North (North East) Humberside.
I may try a Gem. Your the second person who mentioned a gem.
The soap pre shave that you recommend is a new one on me. I have never heard of that soap. I'm going to see if its available online.

Oh, could try a slant? Go for more of a slice than a chop? I haven't personally been a fan of slants but I know many here will disagree with me.

I have a merkur slant. It's okay but I find I get better shaves with a milder razor. Merkur 32c or a Gillette Heritage is giving me some smooth shaves.
Fatips cut me up, blade alignment issues.
R41 is good but can irritate me.
Fine marvel close, but I struggle with the angle.

This is interesting. Based on the map I'm in a very hard water area. Distilled water is available in certain shops. In yorkshire a shop called Boyes stocks it.
Faffing around with distilled water can be a PITA. Just dropping a tiny amount of Citric Acid into your sinkful of hot water and giving it a stir is so much easier.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
This is interesting. Based on the map I'm in a very hard water area. Distilled water is available in certain shops. In yorkshire a shop called Boyes stocks it.
While you get that sorted, I’ve read that with hard water, cold water lathering yields better results than warm/hot tap water lathering. This is apparently due to a higher concentration of minerals in the hot water. You could try boiling water in a kettle for hot water instead of using tap, that might work if you dislike cold lather.

Very hard water here too, lathering is a bit of a struggle; I end up using twice as much product as other people usually do.

While you get that sorted, I’ve read that with hard water, cold water lathering yields better results than warm/hot tap water lathering. This is apparently due to a higher concentration of minerals in the hot water. You could try boiling water in a kettle for hot water instead of using tap, that might work if you dislike cold lather.

Very hard water here too, lathering is a bit of a struggle; I end up using twice as much product as other people usually do.

May try that. Thanks.

Interesting..... have you tried Nacet and Gillette Super thin blades? Those are good and last longer than Feather.
Or a Kai blade; some very hairy people use them in the Fatip (Kai's are a bit wider).

Schick injector type E razor might also be a very good option for you.....
I see you have tried Fatip...., have you also tried the Karve Open Comb?...those can be adjusted to D, E plates...

And one more question: what did you use before DE shaving? and how did it work.....

I have a tough beard and need an aggressive blade. Some years ago found Single edge razors. Blades for SE are stiffer and make a great difference for me.

A Modern aggressive razor, such as King Cobra, Asylum RX with a Feather Professional or Feather Professional Super or similar works best for me. Blackland Vector with Super, also works nicely.

I also use pre shave (Grooming Department, presently) and make three passes ( minimum)and a touch up on an area near my chin, that hair grows in an odd pattern.

I have a similar issue. I was using Feather but too a long time to realize I should try another less aggressive blade. Now its so much easier. Perhaps try different pre-shave (something simple - oil, glycerin), warm the hair, different razor angle (may be adjustable)....

Top Bottom