What's new

Help. Dubl Duck off gassing. New scales

:mad:Ahhhh my beautiful Golden Edge is off gassing and starting to effect the blade.
From what I read there is no way to save the scales.:(

I like the krackel/icy look of the original scales. What materials have this same look? I was even thinking pearl. Maybe you nice honey horn? I want to transfer the metal ends.
I saw some acrylic material but I need it about 5 1/2 inches and what I'm seeing are 5 inches. Where do you guys find your material? (Maggard's honey horn is out of stock).

:mad:Ahhhh my beautiful Golden Edge is off gassing and starting to effect the blade.
From what I read there is no way to save the scales.:(

I like the krackel/icy look of the original scales. What materials have this same look? I was even thinking pearl. Maybe you nice honey horn? I want to transfer the metal ends.
I saw some acrylic material but I need it about 5 1/2 inches and what I'm seeing are 5 inches. Where do you guys find your material? (Maggard's honey horn is out of stock).

First off are you doing them yourself, if so this is one I did not so long back..

This is with the orignal scales

20190604_163720.jpg

This is with them sanded and polished

20190605_214334.jpg

And this next one is what they look like but I am pondering how to fix the inlays

20190811_201850.jpg

The product I use is Kirinite White Mother Of Pearl 1/8" 6" x 1.5"
And i get it from here on Ebay as a BIN price you get 2, you can get both scales from one bit and it is close but not exact.

Hope this helps in your quest..

But If you get stuck please feel free to PM me and I will tell you how I did mine, I did buy a scrap one to see if the inlays could be removed so I had a head start..

and this was the scrap one to practice on..

1.jpg2.jpg

Last edited:
First off are you doing them yourself, if so this is one I did not so long back..

View attachment 1029030

View attachment 1029032

And this next one is what they look like but I am pondering how to fix the inlays

View attachment 1029029

And i get it from here on Ebay as a BIN price you get 2, you can get both scales from one bit and it is close but not exact.

But If you get stuck please feel free to PM me and I will tell you how I did mine, I did buy a scrap one to see if the inlays could be removed so I had a head start..

View attachment 1029034View attachment 1029035
Those came out great!
How hard is it to remove the letters?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Nice work, Ian!

John if you decide you just got to have honey horn I might have a slab or two I can let you have. that blonde horn would look very nice. I did a GD mod up with scales made from the same batch for the mod competition a couple years ago and it really looked nice. Did one of my barbecue razors in it, too, and somebody for whom life was simply not complete without it paid a lot of cash money for it. Is a pair of translucent blonde horn scales nicer than what Ian did? I don't know about that. Those are some mighty dressy scales there. And horn can be devilishly tricky to work with in my experience.

Those came out great!
How hard is it to remove the letters?

This is where the fun begins you need some Cellulose thinners this video helps big time
For removing inlays

This one shows how to install inlays but im looking to sinking them sooner than applying on the top

This is the gluing part

Hope this helps some..

Nice work, Ian!

Thank you Slash!!! TBH this was a fun project that I enjoyed doing but its still ongoing.

Last edited:
Removing the inlays is easy, soak the scale in acetone, after 30 seconds they will lift right off.

Affixing them is harder, CA works but they will no longer be inlays, they are overlays. The key is to get the shape of the scale just right-not easy

This is where the fun begins you need some Cellulose thinners this video helps big time
For removing inlays

This one shows how to install inlays but im looking to sinking them sooner than applying on the top

This is the gluing part

Hope this helps some..

Thank you Slash!!! TBH this was a fun project that I enjoyed doing but its still ongoing.
Thanks for the videos. Very helpful.

Removing the inlays is easy, soak the scale in acetone, after 30 seconds they will lift right off.

Affixing them is harder, CA works but they will no longer be inlays, they are overlays. The key is to get the shape of the scale just right-not easy
Luckily someone else is shaping them for me.

View attachment 1029030

View attachment 1029032

View attachment 1029029

View attachment 1029034View attachment 1029035
Is 6" a UK thing for blanks. All the US sellers have 5".

Doc How do you relay them back down do you put them on top or level with the scale....

If you really wanted to go down the rabbit hole, you could learn to cast multicolored acrylic to match the cracked ice look of the original scales and cast the bolsters into the scales. Hey, it's a hobby isn't it.

/
If you really wanted to go down the rabbit hole, you could learn to cast multicolored acrylic to match the cracked ice look of the original scales and cast the bolsters into the scales. Hey, it's a hobby isn't it.

Now that is a fantastic option Victor!!! I never thought of that idea did not even cross my mind, Now this has got me pondering even more where does this hole stop??????

Lol. I cant even put a postage stamp on an envelope straight.

Hmmm just looking through my stuff I have some resin and colours and sparkle, plus I even have some casting compound to cast the scales in one go by making a mould of the scales.

Top Bottom