What's new

HELP! DOING RESTORATION ON PLISSON BRUSH.

Hi All. I bought a Plisson marked size 12 on the bottom of the brush. To be more specific, 2 stickers, one says "Made in France Sterilized " the other "698 12". Synthetic? Yes. Older? Yes. Nasty on my face? Yes.
So I'm looking at the 12 as the size. I went to the Plisson site, and sizing chart. Correct me if I'm wrong, Size 12 is a 22mm knot. So I get the knot out, no scratches or scraps on the Tortoise Shell Handle but did reveal what appears to be a coated copper housing for the knot. Yep, scraped it with my drill.
Soooo, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a White Mountain Badger Hair knot on Amazon and I say to myself, let me measure the diameter before I order. Yikes, can't find my calipers, go to a local machine shop, walk in, ask Jim, (THANKS JIM!) if he can measure the interior diameter for me. He does, 19.81mm! Does it again, puts his measurement in the computer on the computerized drill press and its, 19.81mm. WTH I'm thinking.
So, the inside lip is smaller than the rim. Ok. Fine.
Question? Do I order a 20mm knot? 22mm like the Plisson site says, a 19mm to make sure it slides in?
Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated, this is my first refurbishment.
Thanks for your help.

I’m wondering how Plisson managed to stuff a 22mm knot in a <20mm hole... sounds off to me. Knot size should mean the diameter of the base of the knot right at the plug (or the plug itself really). IMO even 19mm is taking a chance, if the knot has a glue bump it probably won’t fit. It will slide right in if there’s no bump though, the only way to find out is to pull the trigger and get one. Now, if I was going to order a knot blind to fit in a 19.8mm hole, I’d get an 18mm knot, but that’s just me. I like the hole about 1.5mm larger than the knot diameter, no more than 2mm. The little extra space lets the knot bloom out nicely.

Yep, that's what I said to myself. I also got a Plisson ,sticker on bottom says, 698 8.
Size 8 on the Plisson site. Significantly smaller than the one marked 12. Not a bad synthetic brush, will keep it the way it is.
The depth from the rim of the handle to the hard interior base inside is 1/2 inch exactly. The original knot DID go all the way down to it. The actual rim of the handle does appear to be 22mm but it goes in, gets smaller an 1/8 off an inch down to the 19.8 measurement, kinda like a bowl, then it widens out to the shape of the handle.

This is it. Will do better next time.

Attachments

• 15743501930191039683896.jpg
    15743501930191039683896.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 30
Yep, that's what I said to myself. I also got a Plisson ,sticker on bottom says, 698 8.
Size 8 on the Plisson site. Significantly smaller than the one marked 12. Not a bad synthetic brush, will keep it the way it is.
The depth from the rim of the handle to the hard interior base inside is 1/2 inch exactly. The original knot DID go all the way down to it. The actual rim of the handle does appear to be 22mm but it goes in, gets smaller an 1/8 off an inch down to the 19.8 measurement, kinda like a bowl, then it widens out to the shape of the handle.

There are NO scrapes on the Tortoise Shell. Just a little on the metal rim and interior as you can see.

I’m wondering how Plisson managed to stuff a 22mm knot in a <20mm hole... sounds off to me. Knot size should mean the diameter of the base of the knot right at the plug (or the plug itself really). IMO even 19mm is taking a chance, if the knot has a glue bump it probably won’t fit. It will slide right in if there’s no bump though, the only way to find out is to pull the trigger and get one. Now, if I was going to order a knot blind to fit in a 19.8mm hole, I’d get an 18mm knot, but that’s just me. I like the hole about 1.5mm larger than the knot diameter, no more than 2mm. The little extra space lets the knot bloom out nicely.
Thanx Cigar Smoka for your time and input.
I'm looking at a 20mm sliver tip grade a from the Golden Nib. Says it measures 18.5 to 18.9 base.
What do you think?

That should be fine. I’ve used several TGN knots and haven’t had a glue bump with one yet. Since the hole flares out at the top you’ll still get a nice bloom. That knot is 65mm long so make sure it sinks deep enough into the handle that it doesn’t splay excessively. I’d say 15mm minimum, a few more would be better. I have a grade A from them, it’s a nice soft knot and worth every penny.

That should be fine. I’ve used several TGN knots and haven’t had a glue bump with one yet. Since the hole flares out at the top you’ll still get a nice bloom. That knot is 65mm long so make sure it sinks deep enough into the handle that it doesn’t splay excessively. I’d say 15mm minimum, a few more would be better. I have a grade A from them, it’s a nice soft knot and worth every penny.
[/QUOTE
I'm going to get some steel wool and smooth down the rough edges on the copper, don't want the hairs to get cut on the outside. I'm learning.
Question: when I set the knot, do I try and avoid the hair getting in the epoxy or doesn't it matter?
Also, ,when I set the depth as you explained, if the base, as it is now, is too deep, should I put something in there and then cover it with epoxy? Or am I over thinking it?

Too bad you can't carefully get the copper cup out of the handle? Then you would be able to use a properly sized larger Knot and set it to the proper depth. I can't see the copper cup, but If it were me I would try to remove it----carefully with a metal dremel grinding bit. THEn I would install a nice proper High Mountain White badger knot. A smashing brush if you could do that. Little bitty replacement knots wouldn't do it for me? Anyways--good luck!

A plastic washer (or coin) works well for setting the knot at a higher loft. Try not to get any epoxy in the hairs. A layer in the bottom of the cup that will rise up around the side of the plug only when you set the knot in is all you need. Twist the knot a bit to get it seated well. I don’t put any on the plug itself but others might. IMO too little is better than too much. If the knot comes out you can always reset it. Too much and you just have a brush with a glob of epoxy in the hairs and that can’t be fixed.

Too bad you can't carefully get the copper cup out of the handle? Then you would be able to use a properly sized larger Knot and set it to the proper depth. I can't see the copper cup, but If it were me I would try to remove it----carefully with a metal dremel grinding bit. THEn I would install a nice proper High Mountain White badger knot. A smashing brush if you could do that. Little bitty replacement knots wouldn't do it for me? Anyways--good luck!
Thanx for the input! I looked for another white mountain in the size I need but haven't found one yet. TGN doesn't appear to carry it and the one I was looking at on Amazon was a 22. I'll keep my eyes open while I'm smoothing the copper down. If you expand the picture more, maybe you'll see it. It's the scraps, the scraps at the brim are on the copper.

A plastic washer (or coin) works well for setting the knot at a higher loft. Try not to get any epoxy in the hairs. A layer in the bottom of the cup that will rise up around the side of the plug only when you set the knot in is all you need. Twist the knot a bit to get it seated well. I don’t put any on the plug itself but others might. IMO too little is better than too much. If the knot comes out you can always reset it. Too much and you just have a brush with a glob of epoxy in the hairs and that can’t be fixed.
Understood, thanx again for shaving the knowledge.

You’re welcome. I don’t make many brushes these days but I’ve made more brushes than anything else on my lathe and I’m always happy to pass on what I’ve learned.

Thanx for the input! I looked for another white mountain in the size I need but haven't found one yet. TGN doesn't appear to carry it and the one I was looking at on Amazon was a 22. I'll keep my eyes open while I'm smoothing the copper down. If you expand the picture more, maybe you'll see it. It's the scraps, the scraps at the brim are on the copper.

It doesn't hurt to ask when they may have it in stock again. TGN has helped me in that way in the past. They do have a 21 mm and a 23 mm in stock and if it were me I would buy the 23 mm and open up the hole to fit it in.

Top Bottom