What's new

Help Deciding Between ATT S1 or S2

I just fell through the Tilted Picnic rabbit hole. I really enjoy reading it and @Old Hippie 's enthusiasm for slants has rubbed off on me.

I'm new to slants. I have a FOCS, but haven't used it much. When I did use it I didn't feel I got a super close shave, but that could be the result of not spending enough time with it.

I'm a daily shaver and I'm trying to decide between the ATT S1 and S2. I've seen the S1 described as smoother than the S2. Do both get you to the same place? Any thoughts?

I had the S1 for a while and it was a really smooth shaver. Never tried the S2. The S1 is a good razor, but I found the Windsor SSRH to shave almost as smooth yet with more efficiency.

I never had much luck with the FOCS.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I just fell through the Tilted Picnic rabbit hole. I really enjoy reading it and @Old Hippie 's enthusiasm for slants has rubbed off on me.

I don't know what it is, man. They just grab me, you know? It's a fun obsession, though and definitely less injurious to the wallet than being obsessed with antique military aircraft.

I'm new to slants. I have a FOCS, but haven't used it much. When I did use it I didn't feel I got a super close shave, but that could be the result of not spending enough time with it.

No one razor is perfect for everyone. For me, the FOCS is a good shave. Mild, I'll say that, or at least it seems so to me. I've played with it a bit and find that as it sits I can get a close shave from it, but I have to slow down a little and make sure I'm doing things exactly right. I don't mean that in a stressful way, just that the FOCS rewards me when I pay the most attention.

I've also used the FOCS with a shim between the blade and baseplate. (Why yes, I'm an iconoclast. What gave me away?) There is an alternative hack of loosening the handle on the razor between 1/8 and 1/4 turn. Either one opens up the gap just slightly. Using a shim keeps the blade firmly clamped so all you're doing is opening the gap; loosening the handle lets the blade flatten a bit so it not only opens the gap but also adds a more positive exposure to the edge.

The drawback to loosening the handle is that part of what keeps the razor together is the tension of the blade along with the friction of the handle being snug. Lose that, and suddenly the head is spinning around and loosening more than I want. I've spotted a fix for that and hope to present it with pictures soon. Just got a backordered tool in, so now we're off to the funhouse to hack a FOCS in a little more detail.

If a bit more positive edge exposure helps, then you might also try your FOCS with a Kai DE blade. They are one millimetre wider than most DE blades, so can perk up a mild razor pretty easily.

I'm a daily shaver and I'm trying to decide between the ATT S1 and S2. I've seen the S1 described as smoother than the S2. Do both get you to the same place? Any thoughts?

I can imagine the S1 would be a bit smoother. Smooth bar razors tend to feel smoother than open comb razors. I originally wanted to trade off a pair of ATT heads (SE1, SE2) for a pairing of the S1 and S2. As the deal unfolded it became trading the SE1 for an S2. I was a bit leery at first, not yet having achieved a high level of comfort with OC razors, but what the hell.

Best. Decision. Ever. The S2 is not an aggressive razor, or at least it seems like that to me. I love that thing. I've said before it's my grail razor -- the one that always delivers a stellar shave and is there for me when others let me down. I've toyed with the idea of picking up an S1 to "complete the set" but I'm simply satisfied with the S2.

The S series razors are an interesting design. The X series is also, in a different blade format (so far there is an X1 SB razor but no X2 OC as yet, though one hears rumours...).

O.H.

Last edited:
I really like my S2, but have not tried an S1. I appreciate that the ATT machined helical slants are not a variant of older designs. It is nice to see a DE slant razor designed from scratch.

I am a bigger believer in the FOCS than Old Hippie is, so do give yours a fair trial.

I’ve used only an ATT S1 since early 2016. It’s my grail razor. I shave at least 6 days a week. The first time I used it I had one of those “oh, wow” moments. I find it smooth and very efficient for the task of reducing my beard. I’ve always thought of picking up an S2 but like old hippie above I’ve just been satisfied with the S1.

However, I’m sure the S2 is also an excellent shaver. At the end of the day you are the only one that can decide which suits you best.
34DAF71B-9992-4669-BD40-BE109450DF83.jpeg

Favorite blade combo currently 😎 and I also prefer long handles. However I do own and like all of the ATT handle lengths and they all shave well with the S1.

Old Hippie

I am a bigger believer in the FOCS than Old Hippie is, so do give yours a fair trial.

*chuckle*

I'm a big believer in the FOCS. I simply believe I can make it work better for me. It's a great razor, especially at the price.

O.H.

I’ve used only an ATT S1 since early 2016. It’s my grail razor. I shave at least 6 days a week. The first time I used it I had one of those “oh, wow” moments. I find it smooth and very efficient for the task of reducing my beard. I’ve always thought of picking up an S2 but like old hippie above I’ve just been satisfied with the S1.

However, I’m sure the S2 is also an excellent shaver. At the end of the day you are the only one that can decide which suits you best.
Favorite blade combo currently 😎 and I also prefer long handles. However I do own and like all of the ATT handle lengths and they all shave well with the S1.

I had both but sold off the S-2. I found the S-1 to be smoother but milder. I found that if I used the S-2 a few days in a row I would have an irritated neck.

It”s a tough decision but since I’m a daily shaver I’m thinking of easing into it with the S1. Given that this is B&B at some point I’ll probably end up with both at some point.

Old Hippie

I’m thinking of easing into it with the S1.

I like the stepwise approach; it makes sense to me. Not that I've done it all that often, however...:letterk1:

You've got a plan, you're moving forward. That's good. Not to pour gasoline on the fire, but ATT used to offer a bit of a deal if one bought a "combo" of handle, cap, and both baseplates for some razors. I know the SE series was one; the S series may also be. You can also save a bit with a used razor -- generally they're ones that someone tried and returned within 30 days. Can't sell them as "new" even though they don't have many miles on them.

Check it out with ATT. They're good people.

O.H.

I like the stepwise approach; it makes sense to me. Not that I've done it all that often, however...:letterk1:

You've got a plan, you're moving forward. That's good. Not to pour gasoline on the fire, but ATT used to offer a bit of a deal if one bought a "combo" of handle, cap, and both baseplates for some razors. I know the SE series was one; the S series may also be. You can also save a bit with a used razor -- generally they're ones that someone tried and returned within 30 days. Can't sell them as "new" even though they don't have many miles on them.

Check it out with ATT. They're good people.

O.H.

Thanks for your suggestions and for the Tilted Picnic reports! I will see what ATT has to offer.

Top Bottom