What's new

Help dating razors

I've gotten about as far as I can with the Wiki to date my old Gillettes. Wondering if any of you can help me refine it further. I can try to get some pictures up tonight.

First:
Ball end Old Type: Underneath: Property US Army, Inside: J3999, Handle: PAT.NOV.15.04, top of razor head does have a small circle indent in the middle.
Were these only made in 1918?

Second
Ball end Old Type: Underneath: Gillette Diamond MADE IN USA, Handle: Black Bands (1904-1929)
The two smooth surfaces on the ball end handle and the bottom of the ball were painted black. Didn't know if that might held narrow down the date.

Third:
NEW: Underneath: PAT. NO. 1815745, PAT. NO. 1858316, REISSUE PAT. NO. 17567 (1930-1940)
Do the patent numbers give any indication of the date?

Your 1st razor was made in 1918. The US didn't get involved in WWI until mid 1917 so it's possible that Gillette made some razors at the end of the year. The big year for both the US and Gillette was 1918. Most of the military sets were made that year but it is possible that some were made in 1919 as the sets were fazed out and sets were sold to both civilians and and soldiers returning. All the J sets were sold to the Army.

Your 2nd razor may not be painted. Are you sure it's not just silver tarnish? Gillette did not paint rings on the handles. There should be a patent date on one of the handle bands. If there is no serial number on the cap it was made after 1920.

On your 3rd razor, can't tell much about the New razors which had no serial numbers. They are just about impossible to date.

Would really like to see photos of the three razors.

Len

Here are the pictures of the razors described above.
proxy.php

Full Size Pic

proxy.php

Full Size Pic

proxy.php

Full Size Pic

proxy.php

Full Size Pic

Nice looking razors.
No way to tell when the New was made. Nice long tooth with the common handle.

The center razor which looks to have paint on the plain rings is interesting. It's an Old Type with the later, thicker, guard and cap. The no patent date means it's a very late model made in the last years of the model. Mr Razor has one he dates as 1927. It's the paint that's different, never saw one like that.

Len

I have the 3rd razor (The New) as well, it's just not in as good of shape as yours. I was told it was circa 1930's too. If anybody has info on how to pinpoint an exact year let me know more I would appreciate it.

Top Bottom