What's new

Help dating razors: Star Safety Razor

Hello there! Yesterday I was talking with my dad about shaving and he mentioned he had some stuff I might be interested in. He is a barber and has collected a few things over the years. I'll post a thread for each razor, and one for the mugs/scuttle.. He didn't know much about them, but I told him I would try to see what I could find out here and let him know.

Here is a "Star" safety razor by Kampfe Bros. It is marked on the head with lots of pattent numbers and dates. It is in 5 pieces (4 for the handle/head and then the blade.) I've never seen anything like this one so I'm pretty lost on it. It all came in a small metal box which is pretty faded. In the box was also instructions and a "Positevely read this" sheet about sending the razor in for adjustments.

$HPIM1164.jpg$HPIM1159.jpg$HPIM1161.jpg
$HPIM1164.jpg$HPIM1165.jpg

Thank you Hoosier for the help (on all 3 posts!) I was wondering what the going price on these were. My dad 'gave' them to me, but I would like to pay him something for them anyways. Also, would you suggest getting the papers inside framed for preservation or will they not affect the value too much?

That's a really nice set, especially with the instructions and other papers, those always bring the value up since most were tossed in the garbage can. Value could be anywhere from $50 on up. And up a lot, depending on how bad someone wants one like that to add to a collection because there's just not a whole lot of the really early ones like that left.

Good to know. I still have the blade also. I think it's the original (it has 3 stars printed on it.) Do you treat that as you would a straight for sharping/honing?

Good to know. I still have the blade also. I think it's the original (it has 3 stars printed on it.) Do you treat that as you would a straight for sharping/honing?
Sounds like an original Kampfe Bros wedge blade, and yes it's treated exactly like a straight razor. Having an original wedge blade definitely adds to the value as a collectors item.

Very nice Star. HT nailed it with the early 1900s date. The included paperwork is a wonderful addition - not very often found with these razors. Would it be possible to scan the paperwork images and post them here?? : )

Top Bottom