What's new

Help climbing the efficiency ladder

Hi all,

I've been DE shaving for a few months now, and I'm looking to try more efficient razors. At the moment (after PIFs and a layoff fire sale) I have a postwar Gillette Tech and a Gillette 1970 black handle super 84 (the one I am currently using at setting 5). I use Lab Blue blades and the king of budget soaps that smells like bubble gum if the US Army made bubble gum :) I would characterize my stubble as average/coarse, but I'm no expert. The way I have been shaving with both razors so far is WTG all over, XTG on the cheeks and ATG on the chin (for some reason only ATG does a good job on the chin). I am prone to *some* irritation on the cheeks and neck. I do shave daily.

I saw a video with Shane from @Blackland Razors where he says that using a more efficient razor may actually help with irritation. As counterintuitive as that sounds it makes sense to me so I'd like to try "moving up the efficiency ladder" to see if I can't get a better shave with less irritation. Since my technique is likely not the best yet I don't want to jump straight to something like an R41, but make it a progression from one razor to the next until I get what I would consider my dream shave. BBS not necessary, but would like to get good results from just a WTG pass. Maybe like Shane says, the less time a razor is on my skin the less irritated I'll be.

The Blackbird Lite SS with a lighter handle is super intriguing, but since I'm now unemployed with no money coming in for awhile I need to keep any new acquisitions at under $100. I did take one step without asking advice...I saw a Lupo .58 on BST that I jumped on and it should be here this week. Hopefully I didn't mess up...if that's not a step up let me know and I'll put it on BST. If the Lupo is a step up, what would you consider good next steps after I have used it for awhile? Something easy to figure out how to use would be nice, I'd like more efficiency but not something that will slice me to ribbons if I make a small mistake.

Thanks!

Last edited:
My recommendation for getting 'Bang for the buck' would be the RazoRock Game Changer 68-P, or the GC 84-P. At around $55 each, you could buy both and just be a little over budget.

I just recently bought both and after multiple decades of Wet Shaving with DE razors, I've gotten the best shaves of my life.

The Game Changer series of razors are made from 316L stainless steel and CNC machined to very tight tolerances. It's a higher grade s.s. than even some of the other s.s. razors costing 2 to 8 times as much. If, you stainless steel has to be chrome plated, it's not very good stainless steel.

JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

Noticing you are comfortable with vintage razors, have you considered a vintage Schick injector? Wonderful format for comfort and efficiency, with affordable options ala ebay, etsy, etc. Lots of threads here on each type (e.g. www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/schick-type-e-razors-for-dummies.580668/ ) You might consider Type E or G depending on desired level of efficiency. Type I and adjustable M have been positive experiences as well.

Noticing you are comfortable with vintage razors, have you considered a vintage Schick injector? Wonderful format for comfort and efficiency, with affordable options ala ebay, etsy, etc. Lots of threads here on each type (e.g. www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/schick-type-e-razors-for-dummies.580668/ ) You might consider Type E or G depending on desired level of efficiency. Type I and adjustable M have been positive experiences as well.

Funny you should mention that, I did buy an E4 and a Canadian G1 on Etsy awhile back. I tried the E4 and it cut me despite me trying to ride the cap. I sold the E4 in the fire sale, but kept the Canadian G1. It's in the cubbard daring me to try to use it. One thing that may be throwing me is the way I shave with the two Gillettes. Pretty sure my style would be characterized as more steep than shallow, i.e when I'm shaving under my sideburns the handle is a bit steeper than the 45 degree "middle ground".

R41 isn’t as crazy as people let on. It’s right on budget and a great razor. I’m confident you can handle it. Maybe buy used to de-risk it even more.
I’m currently tooting the horn for this little gem from Lord @ 5.99 - technique should be solid though…

A37C62CB-56D8-4C26-A7E5-62C441B49A7C.jpeg

E8437D3F-E607-4255-8753-61212A71EE12.jpeg

Have you mapped your beard yet?

I guess you have already all the tools at hand with an Adjustable. I would get a blade sampler as a cost efficient way to see if you get more out of your razors.

There is also the Blade Exchange @dmshaver here as well.

What blades are you currently using?

I'm not sure what beard mapping is...

I've tried numerous blades with the postwar tech as the platform when I got it. I'm avoiding Russian-made blades for reasons I won't go into here. Feathers were OK, but are pricey and I could only get one or two good shaves before it got rough. The lab blues are cheap, easy to get and seem a good middle ground. If I can, I'd really like to stay with those and have them be the constant in the equation and find a razor that fits well with them. Trying a bunch of different blades as a noob was kind of a confusing experience, and I didn't get much out of it. I have the remaining sampler blades in an altoids tin that I keep in my travel kit.

I'm not sure what beard mapping is...

I've tried numerous blades with the postwar tech as the platform when I got it. I'm avoiding Russian-made blades for reasons I won't go into here. Feathers were OK, but are pricey and I could only get one or two good shaves before it got rough. The lab blues are cheap, easy to get and seem a good middle ground. If I can, I'd really like to stay with those and have them be the constant in the equation and find a razor that fits well with them. Trying a bunch of different blades as a noob was kind of a confusing experience, and I didn't get much out of it. I have the remaining sampler blades in an altoids tin that I keep in my travel kit.
Shaving north/south is not always WTG as your beard can grow in any direction.

This map helps to visualize growth patterns, swirls, etc. to help you avoid irritations.

An adjustable gives more options to explore than to risk buying a razor, which doesn't work for you. R41 is absolutely efficient, and not so scary as it reputation says, but I just can't handle it for everyday shaves. I barely have what to shave on the day after a shave with it.
If you prefer to go for a new adjustable, I would recommend Merkur Progress. I saw a FS offer for it here these days.
Yaqi TFC is also a good affordable option.

P.S. I'm on the same boat with you regarding the blades made in Russia 🇺🇦

Last edited:
A free option is making a shim from an old blade and placing it under the good blade. It increases blade gap and makes razor more agressive. Just type in ’shim‘ in the search box an$ you’ll get tones of info.

Haven’t tried it myself yet, but plan to.

Funny you should mention that, I did buy an E4 and a Canadian G1 on Etsy awhile back. I tried the E4 and it cut me despite me trying to ride the cap. I sold the E4 in the fire sale, but kept the Canadian G1. It's in the cubbard daring me to try to use it. One thing that may be throwing me is the way I shave with the two Gillettes. Pretty sure my style would be characterized as more steep than shallow, i.e when I'm shaving under my sideburns the handle is a bit steeper than the 45 degree "middle ground".
Interesting. I have a Canadian E3 that is fantastic. If I need a smooth and comfortable auto pilot razor, that still offers a reasonable degree of efficiency, I often reach for the Canadian E3. I also happened to pick up a Canadian G1 because it came with a case, which I wanted for my E3. To my surprise, the Canadian G1 has been one of the least smooth and most aggressive injectors I have tried, and is not something I plan to shave with in the future. It also happens to have one of the largest blade gaps of all my non adjustable injectors.

I understand the hesitancy if you have gone down that road but I think some of the other variants could be a fit.

Top Bottom