What's new

Help Choosing Next Razor Please

Unfortunately at present funds won't allow for Wolfman, Timeless, Stirling, R41 stainless or the like.
I might point out that while I mentioned those razors I have no experience with them. The most I am willing to spend for a razor is around $100. @never-stop-learning has a thread with many razors in the $75 - $125 price range with his observations on each. If you're willing to spend around $100 you should check out that thread.

Well the question resolved itself, temporarily at least, when I was offered a practically brand new Muhle Rocca V4 R94 at a decent price.

Review to follow.

I am still very tempted by the Yaqi double open comb slant though...

When all is said and done... much more is said than done.

So, get a Vector.

Problem solved. You'll never look back. And yes, you can thank me later.

It didn't escape my notice but funds just won't stretch to it at the moment.
The Rocca was reduced from RRP and just about scraped in on budget

It didn't escape my notice but funds just won't stretch to it at the moment.
The Rocca was reduced from RRP and just about scraped in on budget
Then WAIT until they do or make that decision now, as I am sure you can.

Buy Once - Cry Once

It's MUCH cheaper to spend $200 bucks ONCE, instead of spending $50-70 another dozen times and still end up unhappy.

If you like aggressive razors, just get the machined finish version with OC. You can forgo the stand.

Me, I've got both plates and a stand and can honestly say this is the last razor I'll ever buy... unless I one day decide to start collecting vintage SRs. Maybe once I retire, which is a good 20 or so years more, so not any time soon.

Buy Once - Cry Once

It's MUCH cheaper to spend $200 bucks ONCE, instead of spending $50-70 another dozen times and still end up unhappy.

It only works that way if you get it right... If not, you're crying just as many times and paying more for the privilege.

I paid more for my ATT M1 in late 2013 than I've paid for any razor since - and as much as I was determined that that razor would be great and be the last I'd buy... I sold it, no regrets, and certainly wouldn't swap the razors I have now for it, regardless of the fact that cost less than half the money.

Any purchase is a judgement call and paying more is no guarantee of satisfaction - if it turns out to work great you feel vindicated and it it doesn't then (like I did) you curse yourself for believing it was worth it... That's life, and it's the same in many different hobbies!

It only works that way if you get it right... If not, you're crying just as many times and paying more for the privilege.

I paid more for my ATT M1 in late 2013 than I've paid for any razor since - and as much as I was determined that that razor would be great and be the last I'd buy... I sold it, no regrets, and certainly wouldn't swap the razors I have now for it, regardless of the fact that cost less than half the money.

Any purchase is a judgement call and paying more is no guarantee of satisfaction - if it turns out to work great you feel vindicated and it it doesn't then (like I did) you curse yourself for believing it was worth it... That's life, and it's the same in many different hobbies!
@BubblesUK sure, sure, you make a fine argument Sir.

Nevertheless, I will tell you the same thing - get the Vector.

You can thank me later 😁 😂 🤣

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well the question resolved itself, temporarily at least, when I was offered a practically brand new Muhle Rocca V4 R94 at a decent price.

Review to follow.

I am still very tempted by the Yaqi double open comb slant though...
It's $10 - DO IT. best razor I've owned.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I agree with the Yaqi, though it's not a full DOC; has a solid bar with OC top. It doesn't look aggressive, but I've used the Ikon Tek and this Yaqi is just short of that in aggression. The other DOC mentioned looks like the Phoenix DOC, which is a very smooth, mild to moderate type. I have both Yaqi and Phoenix and they are both excellent shavers, for different reasons. I guess we need to see a slant DOC like the Phoenix. That would be interesting.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I agree with the suggestion of the Yaqi double open comb slant (or top aggressive slant). I use it regularly and get very close comfortable shaves from it, and for the price you're not risking much. My favorite aggressive DE right now, however, is the Blackland Dart. That said, there are several others like the Stirling Stainless Hyper Aggressive and the new stainless Muhle R41 that would be worth a look. And, of course, if you have a budget of $200 or more there are razors like Wolfman, Timeless, ATT, etc. that you might want to try,
@Steve_in_CT I have been eying the Dart for some time... I would love to hear your thoughts about how it compares to the Yaqi!

@Steve_in_CT I have been eying the Dart for some time... I would love to hear your thoughts about how it compares to the Yaqi!
The Dart and Yaqi both provide excellent shave results, but to me they have very different "personalities". Even though I have never nicked or cut myself with the Yaqi, I feel that I need to be very careful particularly in sensitive areas and tight spaces. The audible feedback adds to that sense of danger. The Dart exudes quality and solidity. I feel more relaxed and in control when using it. I could easily use either as my go-to razor, but I enjoy the variety of several razors. That said, the Dart sees more use than any other razor.

Just had a Yaqi Double Open Comb Slant for a couple of weeks. I have had the Merkur slant for a few years and many other DE razors. The Yaqi is a very efficient razor and feels like a lot of blade is exposed, i have used it every other day and with a light hand letting the blades (tried a few) gives me a superb shave...i have quite a sensitive area on the neck and it gives me no more trouble than the other razors. I shave with, accross, and against and get a great result which suprised me for such an inexpensive bit of kit. I will use this as i do with all my razors, use all at random to stop getting bored.

Top Bottom