What's new

Help choosing a Timeless Razor: Titanium vs. SS, Open Comb vs. Smooth Bar

So what iteration of the Timeless did you end up going with or did you even buy a Timeless at all?

A very kind friend of mine let me borrow his Titanium .68 for 1 week to try out so I was able to get 3 test shaves in. What a beautiful razor and it's built like a tank!

Unfortunately, I also found the head to be too bulky for me after coming from the Feather AS-D2. The Feather is fairly nimble and it is easy for me to tackle the mustache area. Despite my wanting to love the Timeless, I just couldn't get over the relative bulk. Given how much everyone else seems to love this razor, it may simply be due to my getting used to the Feather for years before trying the Timeless, but I think I'm going to pass on purchasing one.

One razor I have thought about trying is the Tatara Masaune, it seems like it could be a better fit for me.

Thanks again for everyone's help in my search!

A very kind friend of mine let me borrow his Titanium .68 for 1 week to try out so I was able to get 3 test shaves in. What a beautiful razor and it's built like a tank!

Unfortunately, I also found the head to be too bulky for me after coming from the Feather AS-D2. The Feather is fairly nimble and it is easy for me to tackle the mustache area. Despite my wanting to love the Timeless, I just couldn't get over the relative bulk. Given how much everyone else seems to love this razor, it may simply be due to my getting used to the Feather for years before trying the Timeless, but I think I'm going to pass on purchasing one.

One razor I have thought about trying is the Tatara Masaune, it seems like it could be a better fit for me.

Since you are looking for less bulky head you should definitely consider Razorock GC68

That's too bad that it didn't work out for you but I'm sure you'll find the one for you. There is a Tatara pass around either in this forum or another I frequent which would give you a chance to test drive one first also. I've heard very good things about the Tatara...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Though happy with Ti68 scalloped, ordered Ti95 OC baseplate to ring in the new year. 🌟:a14:

Titanium is a great thing to have in you life, and since I have two Ti handles ... I needed it - right? :devil:

AA

I love Timeless and have gone full circle with it. At first I thought the Timeless was a little bulky compared to the Weber I had been using. I started with the .95 SS scalloped with 100mm Pineapple handle. The handle felt long at first after several years using the Weber Bulldog. Then I went to the 85mm dimpled handle. Recently I went titanium. I found the titanium very smooth and maneuverable and a very enjoyable shave, but it didn't feel quite as efficient to me as the SS due to its lighter weight. Then I went to the SS .95 open comb and back to the 100mm handle. I have at last found the best combination for me. I am an everyday BBS obsessed person. I must get BBS regardless of any irritation from the day before (I know, sick and obsessed). I recently went over 2000 consecutive BBS shaves. Not that it matters to anyone else but with a relatively heavy beard and medium sensitive skin, it has been quite a challenge. With the .95 SS OC, I found this is my new daily driver and I can get a BBS in two passes where as I used to require 3-4 passes. I also now get far less irritation and most importantly, I pass the wife test who used to make me shave twice a day. She has been amazed that I still feel smooth 12 hours later. Since I shave everyday, with this setup, I have eliminated WTG and XTG passes and only do 2 ATG passes. If I were to skip a day, I would add back a WTG and ATG pass but with daily shaving I don't need to. The OC has been phenomenal for me. I thought about trying the Tatara but now I'm just so darn satisfied.

Or...save your money and just shave more often (daily is the way to go).
This gives you more money to buy all those lovely extra soaps you really need.
Win-Win!

I have owned the .68SB and the .95SB scalloped head and base. I had the SS which I sold for the Titanium version. Both the stainless and titanium razors are excellent shavers. If you like a very heavy razor then the stainless will give you a great shave for less money than the titanium. I have the Ti scalloped .95 and would not give it up to save the money on the SS version. I also prefer the .95Ti vs the .68. You will be pleased that the .95Ti is both efficient, comfortable and smooth. I purchased the Ti matte and polished it. Scatch and dent will save you money and the razors that I have purchased from S&D have not been scratched or dented.

IMG_0016.jpg
Ti

Though happy with Ti68 scalloped, ordered Ti95 OC baseplate to ring in the new year. 🌟:a14:

Titanium is a great thing to have in you life, and since I have two Ti handles ... I needed it - right? :devil:

AA
You do and an extra Ti cap so that you can have 2 complete set-ups.

Top Bottom