What's new

Help Choosing A New Coffee Maker

Howdy folks!

Strangely enough I’ve been looking at coffee makers recently, with the thought of getting something better than our present Mr. Coffee.

My coffee has been “off” the last couple weeks. Thought it might be a bad bag of beans, but discovered the cause this morning. The water heater is dieing. It’s running to cool to get decent extraction.

So basically I have an opportunity to upgrade the coffee maker without getting the Mark1/Mod 0 Class III Hairy Eyball from the LOTH for dragging home an expensive coffee machine. Preliminary discussions have gone well.

These are the 3 I’m considering:

Bonavita BV1901TS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PFMRG...olid=2CDYS623DP7LB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

OXO On Barrista Brain 9 cup
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YEYKK8...olid=2CDYS623DP7LB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Cuisinart
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0142UUV4...olid=2CDYS623DP7LB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I’ve read a ton of reviews, and of course they are sort of all over the place.

The Bonavita gets high marks, and this years version attaches the basket to the machine, rather than balance it on top of the thermal carafe. I was pretty convinced on this machine until reading that the carafe lid has to be off for the carafe to sit in the machine. It’s a small thing that I think could be annoying. The lid would take up semi permanent residence in the dish drainer, or somewhere else, and have to be found, used, removed, and stored again. It’s a small thing, but at 0400, do I want to deal with it? 149.95

The Cuisinart solves the lid problem, but may have other issues. Several reviews had issues with the taste, and one reviewer went as far as to measure water temps out of the dripper. It was apparently high 160’s for the first 2 cups to come out, before reaching 190-195. So basically it starts brewing before hitting ideal temp, then ramps up. Doesn’t sound ideal. 167.95

The Oxo On Barrista Brain seems to get good reviews. Early versions had some complaints about the thermal carafe being messy to pour from, but it seems to have been resolved in more recent versions. I did find a review that measured temperature of water entering the basket, and it was solid at 195-198. Most expensive at 199.99.

I considered the Technivorm, but I don’t know that it absolutely gains anything for it’s much higher price. Of course I could be wrong. I’m leaning towards the Oxo. What do you think?

Bonavita would be top of the pile you are considering.

I always transfer my coffee from the Bunn thermal carafe to a pre-heated glass lined Zojirushi air pot

The stainless thermal that came with my Bunn does not keep coffee warm very long :(

The only time the Bunn carafe lid is on is when I shake boiling water in it to pre-warm it before brewing. The rest of the time it stays on top of the Bunn brewer

I purchased the Bonavita for my wife at Christmas, and she sent it back to Amazon by the start of the year. The thing I didn’t think k about was the hot plate. It only stays on for 15 minutes, so the coffee gets cold quickly. I didn’t notice the coffee to be all that much better than any other half decent coffee pot. Also, there isn’t a timer. I wanted the pot to be ready the night before, and me pour a cup on my way out the door.

We decided on the Hamilton Beach 49980A. It has a single serve as well as a carafe, and makes a good pot. The timer is really easy, gives an option for a “bold” cup (runs the water through slower to get a better cup), and the hot plate runs for a solid 2 hours.

All in all, the lower cost with more features won us over and it has been used every day since.

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

My .02, I use a percolator. Been brewing my coffee this way for years. No lines to harbor funk, or plastic parts. Each part is stainless so each is easy to clean. No plastic touches the brew. The top is glass, and the smell is heavenly. No gizmos to malfunction either. Just simply a rich, hot, cup of joe. I roast my own beans weekly and grind them before each brew. I will never drip again. Again just my opinion, but worth looking into IMHO.

Attachments

• A894AA24-E3B4-4232-AACC-6F97B6DB57C8.jpeg
    A894AA24-E3B4-4232-AACC-6F97B6DB57C8.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 18

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I will be waiting to see what is suggested here.
My 4 year old Cuisinart is leaking like a sieve. Anytime we run it we have to have a towel underneath it or we have a flood on the kitchen counter.

@Hoka Hey have you made a decision yet? Really curious to know what you are thinking.

Happy Shaving
-Chris
The girl ordered the Cuisinart PurPrecision with a glass carafe. Would not have been my first choice, but we will see how it works. Ordered from local department store, so returning it will be easy enough. Supposed to be here Monday.

I would have preferred the thermal carafe. I’ll just put it in a thermos when it’s done. We will see.

The girl ordered the Cuisinart PurPrecision with a glass carafe. Would not have been my first choice, but we will see how it works. Ordered from local department store, so returning it will be easy enough. Supposed to be here Monday.

I would have preferred the thermal carafe. I’ll just put it in a thermos when it’s done. We will see.

Best of luck my friend! Enjoy some good joe!

Happy Shaving
-Chris

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I went from a K cup to a Mr Coffee 4 cup machine. As I am the only one here that drinks coffee, I plan to go back to a percolator someday, as the aroma is heavenly, just ask @Villalobos !

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My grama lived with us growing up, and she and my mom made coffee drinking and prepping said coffee so much fun. If I smell perking coffee I am immediately transported back to 1966....

Early report is positive. Still need to play with my grind a bit, but it’s already making an Improved Java. The SCA certified settings are “Hot, medium.” I rather prefer the hot, bold. Slows down the brew cycle a bit, and works well for me with the metal filter. Just a bit of tails in the bottom of the pot. The girl uses filters, and seems happy. She’s even interested in getting some beans of her own. Mine are a bit stronger than she likes. Fairly massive shower head, and great uniform water dispersion. Had to change the “usual” coffee pot location due to tank lid orientation. Has a built in water filter.
9C8FB989-6574-482F-94FC-686171973BA7.jpeg
E912420B-386E-4BD7-A224-54A14C8A8D43.jpeg
3C71C44B-0AAE-4EA9-BA08-24FF559C1749.jpeg

All in all pretty happy with it. I put my coffee in a thermos when it’s done brewing, and I’m good to go.

I’m looking forward to trying some different beans myself. Local store has started carrying Peet’s and Intelligencia, and found a local guy that sounds pretty good.
Coffee

Now if I can stop looking at espresso machines and coffee roasters.........

Nice looking machine.

Re: the Bonavita, I’ve had one for 3 years with the thermal carafe (second carafe as the original glass lined version shattered). It’s performed flawlessly for me, and the removable lid is not an issue at all.

Top Bottom