What's new

Help buying a kayak!

Any suggestions buying a kayak for under $400? My wife and I are looking for kayaks to use on inland lakes and easy rivers. We both are small people and athletic with good balance so width is not an issue. My wife has a $500 gift card to Duhnams so we would like to buy new ones from there. These will be our starter recreational kayaks, for now cheaper the better. We were looking at three, the Pelican ultimate 100, Sundolphin Aurba 10 and the Oldtown Vapor 10.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've never been on a kayak in my life so I'm no help here my friend :bored:
hopefully someone will come along with some advice. I've seen a few kayak threads around here in the past.

I'm also in the market for a kayak, only difference is that I'm looking for one that's designed for fishing so it can hold me and all my gear. The main things I'm taking into account are the weight of the Kayak and the maximum weight capacity of the Kayak. I'm roughly 220 and on an average day may have 20LB of gear plus four fishing rods.

If you're getting one strictly for paddling I'd say the main decision aside from carrying weight would and capacity would be whether you want a sit in or sit on top.

I noticed you live in MI, if you take it on waters like the Great Lakes you would need something that can handle rough water and you may need a bilge pump.

I'd say that any of those will suit your needs. All three are sit-in kayaks which are (generally) lighter than sit-on kayaks. They do require more strength to paddle and are (slightly) less stable. The REI store near me allows you to try out various kayaks on a lake behind the store. If you have that option at Duhnams (or a local REI or other sporting goods/boating store) I would do that and try both sit-in and sit-on kayaks.

Adam, have you considered Craigslist? That's where I got my first kayak. Sure, you have to wade through some junk but there are deals to be had.

I'd say that any of those will suit your needs. All three are sit-in kayaks which are (generally) lighter than sit-on kayaks. They do require more strength to paddle and are (slightly) less stable. The REI store near me allows you to try out various kayaks on a lake behind the store. If you have that option at Duhnams (or a local REI or other sporting goods/boating store) I would do that and try both sit-in and sit-on kayaks.

Adam, have you considered Craigslist? That's where I got my first kayak. Sure, you have to wade through some junk but there are deals to be had.

Thanks for the tips, I have considered Craigslist, Ebay etc. Currently I have my eye on the Ocean Kayak Tetra 12 Angler. Only weighs 56LB and has lots of storage space.

We have the Ultimate 100 for both the wife and I. Great starters. We use them mainly on inland lakes. I can fish from mine comfortably and we both really enjoy getting out on them. Haven't checked prices in a while, but we got both of ours for less than $200 each. With paddles, life vests and some cushions, you will probably have a few bucks left on the gift card.

Happy paddling!

I would suggest a Canoe, then a kayak if you have no experience.
But the general rule for a boat is the longer it is the more stable it tends to be, but that costs you maneuverability.
So a short kayak is better for white water, a long kayak is better for lakes and flat water.

just make 100% sure you can return it if it doesn't fit your needs.

I know you are limited to Duhnams with your Gift Card, but take a serious and long hard look (and get it in writing) as to the return policy. Some stores will not allow you to keep it, once it hits the water. Those are stores you do NOT want to buy from.

Places like MEC and REI will stand behind their products now, tomorrow and in 3y if it starts falling apart. You could always buy from REI and then buy your accessories from Duhnams (lifejacket, safety kit, tow rope, whistles etc and paddles if they sell decent ones). These stores also have trial days, swap meets, used boards etc. Heck, even Costo.com and in-store carries some Pelican Kayaks that would fit your needs and come with a 100% Rock Solid Guarantee and ability to walk away from it, if they paddle like bathtubs in the water.

We own two sit on tops and they are fantastic for tooling around, fishing, having fun on the waters you describe.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can send you a picture of my wife to tape to the side of your kayak, so it won't tip.

Here is a very good resource for honest reviews from paddlers, on the kayaks you are looking at.

Don't be afraid to sign up there and post a "which would you choose for me" type of thread on their messageboard. They are very helpful and will offer great advise on stuff most of us wouldn't think of.

They have helped me out greatly with many Paddling questions:

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=2937

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1823

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=2403

Top Bottom