What's new

Help: budget irish whisky

Gents, I'm about to run out of my big bottle of Jameson. I'm going through a rough patch financially, so I need to cut corners where I can. I don't want to give up my Irish coffee habit (receipe in the Cafe:biggrin1:), so I need some suggestions for the best value in irish whisky. It will be used for mixing and I don't have a developed pallette, so I can do with lower end stuff. For example, my vodka is Monopolowa and my rye is Old Overholt. Thanks!

Tullamore Dew is my go to if I'm not getting Bushmill's or Jameson. It's usually only a few dollars cheaper than Jameson though, when Jameson is not on sale.

Paddy is usually cheaper, but it isn't nearly as common. I never see it around where I live now. For the most part, Jameson's, Bushmill's, etc., all come in at about the same price point. If you're using it as a mixer, maybe the best thing would be to go for a reasonably priced blended whiskey. Canadian Club? Or--keep your eyes open for holiday specials. Unfortunately the liquor stores where I live are run by the state and we never seem to get any good sales.

Usually Powers (Dublin whiskey), where do you live?

Dallas

Paddy is usually cheaper, but it isn't nearly as common. I never see it around where I live now. For the most part, Jameson's, Bushmill's, etc., all come in at about the same price point. If you're using it as a mixer, maybe the best thing would be to go for a reasonably priced blended whiskey. Canadian Club? Or--keep your eyes open for holiday specials. Unfortunately the liquor stores where I live are run by the state and we never seem to get any good sales.

I can't make Irish coffee with canadian whisky!

Vlad, locate your nearest Beverage Depot. Generally speaking, I've found that place to be the cheapest in the metroplex. They carry John L Sullivan there. Pretty decent for the price.

In Texas? Spec's is a great place to go, as they have tons of beverages (along with garnishes and cheeses, whatnot) and they have deals going on often, along with their discount if you use cash. I generally like Bushmill's, but it ain't exactly the cheapest one on the market. Try Tullamore: not expensive, but mixes well without being overpowering. Plus, it can be found in a pretty nice looking container, if you're into that kind a thing!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I can't make Irish coffee with canadian whisky!

Plenty of Irishmen emigrated to Canada back in the day ... you should be good. (Really, if you are just mixing it in with coffee &c, you probably can't tell the difference at least if you use cheap scotch.)

Legion

Staff member
When I was in the US Jamesons was pretty damn cheap at Costcos, in a big bottle. Made me weep, cheap.

My liver would have es'ploded by now if I was in the US.

Life is too short for inferior booze.

Tullamore Dew definitely the way to go if Jameson is not on the cards. Bushmills and Blackbush are both great but a lot more expensive...

Tullamore Dew, is the Whisky of choice of the Buena Vista cafe in San Francisco, the epicenter of the the drinks introduction, and popularity in the U.S.

Tullamore Dew for me at home. I only drink Jameson or Bushmills if the hotel bar on my travels doesn't stock TD, althought a couple of the hotels I frequent began stocking Tullamore Dew for me :thumbup:

Top Bottom