What's new

Help: Antique Simpson real Ivory brush?

That looks like an original Emperor. Those were originally turned from ivory and always stuffed with Simpson's highest grade. Very nice brush.

There is a collector in the Netherlands, DrP, a member of this forum, who has a few ivory handled Simpsons in his large collection. He would probably jump on that like a kangaroo.

That looks like an original Emperor. Those were originally turned from ivory and always stuffed with Simpson's highest grade. Very nice brush.
Thank you for the information- sorry for the late reply, It's fascinating learning all this, thank you all for your contributions

Thank you- I've decided on WFF, now I just need to sort out the whole paperwork thing

If WWF is a cause you support I think that is an excellent idea. When this brush was made, the use of ivory for items was no more controversial than todays use of the badger hair for the knot. Selling this antique brush to someone who will appreciate and care for it, and donating the proceeds, pays more respect to the deceased elephant than destroying of it ever could. Destroying it because we find the use of ivory objectionable today is akin to the old Soviet practice of erasing the names of people out of favor with the government from the history books, IMO.

You need to be real careful if you plan to sell that brush.

There are many restrictions by both federal and international law.

I won't get into specifics but Federal Fish and Wildlife Service handles these matters. Take a look at their website. Rules have changed recently.

If Simpson started making brushes in 1919 as some have suggested, it may be precluded from selling it legally as it is under 100 years old.

Ivory shaving brush handles are specifically listed as items governed by these conservation laws.

Despite the legal and recent conservation problems, that is a wonderful brush.

Last edited:
Do the lines interect with a crosshatch pattern and seen better from some angles than others? Could you post a pic of the bottom of the brush in good lighting?

First it is real ivory. Second it is post ww2 era which the sticker helps show. Simpson made ivory brushes up until 60s early 70s and the last known one being made was by gary young from a piece he had in the 80s. Id say the brush you have is 60s era real ivory and worth a good amount. It can be sold but different countries different places etc effect the sell of ivory. Either way its a nice find.

Simpson ivory.JPG

You need to be real careful if you plan to sell that brush.

There are many restrictions by both federal and international law.

I won't get into specifics but Federal Fish and Wildlife Service handles these matters. Take a look at their website. Rules have changed recently.

If Simpson started making brushes in 1919 as some have suggested, it may be precluded from selling it legally as it is under 100 years old.

Ivory shaving brush handles are specifically listed as items governed by these conservation laws.

Despite the legal and recent conservation problems, that is a wonderful brush.

This. There is a very good chance that item may be illegal to sell under any circumstance.

First of all, this thread is very old; second, an antique shaving brush should certainly fall under the de minimis exception for sales of ivory products, so even though the original poster is almost certainly not seeing any of this, I don't think she should have really had any problem selling it. Not on eBay, maybe, but it should be possible to sell privately. The brush is absolutely older than 1976 and is likely less than 200g in weight.

Top Bottom