What's new

Help a newbie buy a brush

So I'm a couple of months into the whole DE shaving journey. When I started I purchased an inexpensive Shaveway badger brush. To be honest it's done a decent job, but I don't feel that it will hold up for the long term. I'm not in a position financially to really start "collecting", so I'm looking for something solid and functional that will last me for the long haul, and I really don't want to spend more than $25 or so. Function trumps looks, but looks don't hurt either. Badger? Boar? Synthetic? I know it is largely preference, but I lean on your wisdom and experience. For reference, I have soap, croap and sticks and I have a 1963 Gillette Slim and a Merkur 34c if any of that matters.

For functional and inexpensive, the Omega Pro 49 boar comes to mind. Shorter and more scrubby would be a Semogue 620 boar. These two companies have excellent reputations and a lot of offerings.

In Canada, Shoppers Drug Mart has an Omega $15 boar. It is between the above two in size, takes a while to break in, but it perfectly functional...nice and scrubby for soaps.

I'm certain Whipped Dog brushes will come up.

Best of luck!

Personally I would go with a nice synthetic brush, as the performance won't make a huge noticeable change over time. The boar will take some break in time before it reaches its full potential. Just my opinion but I would get a brush that is more persistent at first. Then after a little more time give a boar a chance. I do have to say though that a good broken in boar is a great brush.

I guess synthetic. I don't have much experience with them except for a Kent Infinity Silvertex. That one is super stiff. But everyone raves about the cheap synthetics out there.

I like boars for the price. There is more selection than synthetic. A lot cost as much as badger. But since you say you are not a collector, I'd go with synthetic.

I think a RazoRock Plissoft (or one of the other Plisson type synthetic knots that are so common now) is pretty tough to beat for the money. With that said, the Kent Infinity Silvertex is probably my favorite synthetic so far, but I'm hesitant to actually recommend that one since a lot of people don't like it, so it's more of a gamble. Also, it's quite small, so you have to like small brushes or you'd for sure be disappointed.

I would go razorock plissoft and any omega boar of your choosing. You can sample both for about that price. I personally prefer the boars.

With your experience and at this price point I would 100% recommend a synthetic

Stirling, Whipped Dog, RazoRock and others sell fantastic synthetic brushes - some even much cheaper than your price point.

Boars need a break in time, soaking before each use and are IMO the trickiest brushes to get a great lather with. I know this is the point of great controversy, but I always try to give this hopefully unbiased advice.

Badgers (my personal favourites) start usually at a higher price point (at least decent ones) - however the Stirling 2-band brushes have received in recent times very favourable reviews and are 35-40$ - maybe worth a thought...

I would second the Omega Pro 49. I originally got mine because I was buying a brush for a friend & I wanted something that would be decent, but inexpensive. I was sufficiently impressed by it, I kept it & bought another for my friend. I have good synth, & expensive badger & the Pro 49 still holds its own alongside them.

I would go razorock plissoft and any omega boar of your choosing. You can sample both for about that price. I personally prefer the boars.
Thank you very much for the input, gentlemen. I am thinking this may be the route to go. I am not opposed to breaking in a brush right, so the challenge of a boar intrigues me. Having the synthetic to alternate with will help me cope with any frustration. I have a badger already, so this should be a well-rounded foundation. I am glad to hear about positive experiences with expensive brushes. I have been looking at Semogue and Omega. Sounds like I won't go wrong either way. The Plissoft sounds like the way to go for synthetic.

I would recommend going to Maggards website.

Maggards synthetic $10
Omega 10290 $10

If I had to pick ONE, I would pick the Omega as I prefer boars.

Over time you will need to try them all, to find what works best for you.

I started with the Semogue 1305 boar. It did take some time to break in, but now is my favourite.
The horse hair brushes are also very nice, I had no break in requirements on my Vie-Long.

If you would like to restore an antique handle, TGN make very nice synthetic knots.

For badgers there are lots to choose from.

I am mostly a badger guy. But, given the economics I suggest your best bet is either boar or synthetic. I would pick an option that appeals.

Try a Semogue. All are high quality boars. I like the size and performance of the 620.
My first new brush was a 620. It's working much better now that it's getting broken in.
The only drawback to it is that the relatively larger diameter handle is a tight squeeze in my brush holder.

I've tried boar brushes as well as expensive badger brushes and recently some of the newer synthetics. I prefer the badger brushes over boar but I do understand why people are attracted to a good quality broken in boar brush as they are an excellent inexpensive option at around or under the $20 mark.

For a quality silvertip badger brush you have to figure you'll spend a minimum of $60 and likely around the $150 mark for something that's going to get you the very best performance. They do go up from there with some larger more desirable brushes costing around the $300 plus mark.

I recently participated in a synthetic brush passaround and the results were very surprising to me. My first experience with a synthetic brush were when they first started appearing a couple years ago. The offerings were very limited and the brush I tried was springy and unpredictable. I came away less than impressed. Fast forward to two years later and many of the new offerings feel and mimic the performance of the higher end badger brushes that I own. They have certainly come a long way to the point where they are quite impressive.

Before trying the newly offered synthetics my advice to you would have been to buy a Semogue or Omega made boar brush but after trying many of the new offerings I suspect that you might be happier with the right synthetic brush.

The ones that were most impressive in the box were made by Stirling, Crown King then RazoRock (in that order).
I'd recommend the one below as a $13 brush that should perform very similar to a high end badger brush.
https://www.stirlingsoap.com/synthetic-shave-brush-24mm-x-51mm/

I jumped in and bought a Perfecto badger brush off of amazon when I started. It is now starting to shed hairs, is that normal or am I breaking them. I don't think I push overly hard, but it takes me forever to make lather. After I load my brush I will find several hairs that are inches in length in my soap dish, and then some in the lather bowl. Thoughts on the perfecto, or just try one of those mentioned above

I jumped in and bought a Perfecto badger brush off of amazon when I started. It is now starting to shed hairs, is that normal or am I breaking them. I don't think I push overly hard, but it takes me forever to make lather. After I load my brush I will find several hairs that are inches in length in my soap dish, and then some in the lather bowl. Thoughts on the perfecto, or just try one of those mentioned above

I'd just choose one of the brushes mentioned above. It's not uncommon for the entry level badgers to have some shedding issues so I suspect you're likely not doing anything wrong and it's likely the brush being of a poor quality. Generally as rule of thumb if an item isn't being actively talked about here it's likely not that impressive. I don't recall reading anything here that would make me want to purchase a Perfecto brush.

So, I ended up ordering the RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce from Italian Barber. I was also going to get a boar, but ended up finding some RazoRock soap scents I wanted on sale, as well as the RazoRock German 37 slant razor, so...saving back up for a boar from either Omega or Semogue.

Whipped Dog - HMB if you can stretch the $$$ or a Maggard synthetic - I have a 22mm and a 24mm knot is on its way to me. I like putting new knots in old handles.

Top Bottom