What's new

Hello

Greeting from Dubrovnik.
Just recently started DE shaving after using cartridge razors all my life. At 46, better late than never. :straight:
Wanted a better (and cheaper) shave, but after discovering a few shaving forums the cheaper part is kinda becoming a no go :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Welcome. Let us know where you are in your learning to ude DE. Ask questions and we are happy to help. Let us know what equipment you are currently using including soaps as we have lot of opinions and comments that can help you along.
Enjoy and stick around.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Greeting from Dubrovnik.
Just recently started DE shaving after using cartridge razors all my life. At 46, better late than never. :straight:
Wanted a better (and cheaper) shave, but after discovering a few shaving forums the cheaper part is kinda becoming a no go :biggrin1:

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

I think a lot of us can relate to your post, including myself. We start off with cartridge razors, cause thats what we know, thats what we were taught. Then some of us, like me, who didn't want to pay for those overpriced cartridge razor blades no more, joined the dark side, and got into electric shaving. 🤯

After spending time on this site, getting to meet all the wonderful people on here, reading their stories, seeing their pictures, talking about the amazing shaves, I realized I was missing out on this magic. So I got my first DE razor last week, the Feather AS-D2 DE razor. She's a beaut!

But here's the thing that I have discovered, just as you have. Ya, we saved money not buying cartridge razors and their blades anymore, just so we could go spend it all on DE stuff. 🤣 I tell ya, our logic would not hold water in court, unless we brought a badger brush with us, it holds water. :lol:

So I want to hear more about what products you've bought, and what products your using, and more about that DE razor of yours. I tell you what, I got a basic pure badger brush with chrome handle, and I got the full size Tabac soap in ceramic bowl. Also bought a 50 pack of blades, by the time all said and done, I already spent 250 dollars.

So seeing as how I already exceeded my annual costs on cartridge razor blades I used to buy back in the day, you know what I went out and did today? I just ordered another badger brush, yes, cause I wanted something better. Thats now another 65 dollars spent.

Ohhhhh yeah, I see we are really saving our money not buying cartridge razors.................................So we can spend it on DE stuff later. HAHA :lol: So ya, tell me more about your stuff, I wanna know more, and take some pictures, I love pictures!

If I could grant you an achievement I would, for switching to DE, your face thanks you. And for joining only the best shaving and haircare website on the internet! 😁

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Naw! My postal costs are nothin. I put the return address the same as the address I'm mailing it to & let my friend getting the letter pay for the postage. I don’t know why, but since I’ve been doing this my list of friends has shrunk.
My friend. You are a Genius!

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome!

I started cautiously - got a Wilkinson Classic DE razor that came with 5 razor blades and Florena shaving cream. No brush.
Felt wrong palm lathering, so bought a NOM Alfred boar brush (on sale :001_smile).

Then I got a Q Shave adjustable because I wanted a all metal razor and the price was great.
It is (in my more then humble newbie experience) a good razor. Read that the balance is off, that the blade is not even on both sides, but I find it more then ok. Not slippery with wet hands, very slippery with shaving soap on fingers.

Then I got a Wiklinson blue shaving soap, Proraso white preshave, shaving soap and aftershave balm, Tabac shaving soap with bowl, and a Palmolive Cool shaving cream.

For Christmas got a NOM Lasse badger brush and Wilkinson all metal DE razor (like the butterfly opening) which has been my daily (every 2-3 days) shaver. It's ok, not as aggressive as Q Shave above 3.5 - 4.

Been lurking online for a Muhle 34C, but after finding B&B the wish list has expanded drastically!

That's it for now. I know this is very low key, but I'm still young 🤥 and learning.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome!

I started cautiously - got a Wilkinson Classic DE razor that came with 5 razor blades and Florena shaving cream. No brush.
Felt wrong palm lathering, so bought a NOM Alfred boar brush (on sale :001_smile).

Then I got a Q Shave adjustable because I wanted a all metal razor and the price was great.
It is (in my more then humble newbie experience) a good razor. Read that the balance is off, that the blade is not even on both sides, but I find it more then ok. Not slippery with wet hands, very slippery with shaving soap on fingers.

Then I got a Wiklinson blue shaving soap, Proraso white preshave, shaving soap and aftershave balm, Tabac shaving soap with bowl, and a Palmolive Cool shaving cream.

For Christmas got a NOM Lasse badger brush and Wilkinson all metal DE razor (like the butterfly opening) which has been my daily (every 2-3 days) shaver. It's ok, not as aggressive as Q Shave above 3.5 - 4.

Been lurking online for a Muhle 34C, but after finding B&B the wish list has expanded drastically!

That's it for now. I know this is very low key, but I'm still young 🤥 and learning.

Hey, don't feel bad at all buddy, you should have more faith in yourself, because its in my humble opinion, that you are doing great! You already have more stuff then I do, because your trying out different things, seeing what works, and what does not.

And you know what else, I am still learning too. There is always going to be newbies in this hobby, and there is nothing wrong with that. Cause the reality is, we got to start some where right? ;) I give you a lot of credit and respect for how far you've gone in such a short time.

I truly hope that you find the razor that will make you happy, the same goes for the soap used, the brush used, and the shaving bowl. I know you will get there eventually, I have complete faith in you. Now, I've made a couple of mistakes in my journey.

First mistake, I picked out a brush that wasn't so good, pure badger just doesn't work for me. So I am going to be upgrading to silver tipped badger, as I ordered a Maseto Avatar 30 knott brush, which is a higher quality badger brush. I hope that you will enjoy your badger brush! :)

The other mistake I made was not getting a shaving bowl. The reason I didn't, is because I assumed that I could whip up a lather within the ceramic bowl that the Tabac hard soap comes in, well I was wrong. Trying to whip up a proper lather within that Tabac puk bowl is nearly impossible.

So next month I am going to get a Captain Choice Deluxe shaving bowl, so I can get myself squared away properly. Were always learning, that never stops. We might be beginners, but we won't let that stop us. I am really impressed with all the gear that you already have, your doing incredible. Keep it up! 😁

Top Bottom