What's new

Hello

I just started a few weeks ago. The first time, I hacked up my face pretty good, but after that my shaves have gotten progressively better. My first blade, which came with my Merkur, left irritation on my neck and little stubbly. I just got my sample pack and used a Shark. I got a close shave but I've been getting bumps. Could it because of the blade change? Is there something I can do to get rid of the bumps and possibly dark spots left from when I used to use cart blades? Also, my lather doesn't seem to be as thick as I've seen in pics and videos, could that be a problem?

Hey & welcome.

Work on using a very light touch. DE are different from carts in that you just lightly stroke the blades edge over your whiskers. With time you'll learn when to and where to add a bit more pressure. I'm not sure what dark spots are.

Lather takes practice. It's all about the water and working the brush to get it thicker. My lathering started just the same but I played with it and eventually got to where lathering was the easiest part of shaving. If after a few weeks you still have thin lather, you might look a water softening solution or changing soaps. And yes, a thick, rich lather really helps you get a close comfortable shave.

Hey & welcome.

Work on using a very light touch. DE are different from carts in that you just lightly stroke the blades edge over your whiskers. With time you'll learn when to and where to add a bit more pressure. I'm not sure what dark spots are.

Lather takes practice. It's all about the water and working the brush to get it thicker. My lathering started just the same but I played with it and eventually got to where lathering was the easiest part of shaving. If after a few weeks you still have thin lather, you might look a water softening solution or changing soaps. And yes, a thick, rich lather really helps you get a close comfortable shave.

+1.

First, welcome to B&B.

Unlike cart shaving you must be sure you are not putting any pressure on the blade. Let the weight of the razor do the work. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor very lightly. I hold it as lightly as I can without it falling from my hand and, as a result, do not have irritation, cuts, or nicks.

Welcome to B&B! +1 for the light touch and believe me, the time it takes to perfect your technique is time well spent. View the mantic59 videos on youtube, read the wikis and tutorials posted here and ask any dern fool question that comes to mind. The folks here are the greatest and more than willing to help. :thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

If you apply any pressure, you can get that type of irritation. Changing blade could be a possible option... For your lather, yes, if it's not protecting your skin enough, you will get irritation. I would suggest re-visiting the tutorials: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Lathers

Welcome...Mantic is a disciple of the shave gods...watch his videos religiously...they will guide you on the path toward shaving enlightenment.

No pressure. Preparation. Relax. Great results will follow.

Other than that, welcome to the Badgers' Den. As you have noticed, sometimes he bites!

Welcome to the B&B. You are probably using too much pressure which it causing irritation and ingrown hairs. Here are some quick tips:

- Make sure you wash your face to remove dirt and oils as well as to soften your beard.
- Your lather should be thick in consistency but not thick in application.
- Use short strokes for a while to get better control.
- Apply minimal pressure as if you apply too much, you'll get skin irritation or ingrown hairs.

Good luck on your future shaves.

Top Bottom