What's new

Hello to the DE community! Noob here!

Hello from sunny Greece!

I am new at DE shaving and just registered on here!

I would like to ask some questions regarding my set up, my technique and pimples! :D

This is my set up: (I bought it a week ago)

Lord L6
Lord and feather blades
Proraso shaving soap (the red one)
Proraso preshave (the green one)
Omega 49 boar bristle brush
Noxzema sensitive skin shaving creme
Str8 after shave
Noxzema Cool Carbon balm

I used to shave with gilette mach 3. Last time i used mach 3 (i then switched to DE) i went against the grain. The result was a very smooth shave but i got pimples around my mouth the next day.

I have since shaved 3 times with the Lord L6 and i must say it's mild. Milder than i expected coming from the mach 3 anyhow. I used the three pass technique (with the grain, across the grain and against the grain) and got a very smooth result. The problem is that I still got some pimples the next day around my mouth and at the angle of the face, where the upper face skin meets the neck skin, where it was kinda painful to shave across.

1) Do you have any suggestions regarding my technique and how I will get a deep shave without the pimples? I don't have any other problems like irritation and what not. Only small pimples filled with pus.

2) Do you have any recommendations regarding my gear? I bought feather blades because i wanted something sharp (I know i probably shouldn't being a noob) and i found out that the lord blade was equally as sharp.

Again, hello to everybody and any advice would be very helpful!!

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Hello, Guy from sunny Greece
Those Feather blades are not recommended for new shavers.
Yes, a Boar Brush. Badger for when you have more money.
Not familiar with a Lord L6 razor.

1) Do you have any suggestions regarding my technique and how I will get a deep shave without the pimples? I don't have any other problems like irritation and what not. Only small pimples filled with pus.

My suggestion is that you stop shaving against the grain in the spots where you are getting the pimples for a little while. Just do the other two passes. Those pimples are generally a sign of too much pressure. Don't try to compensate for the mildness of the blade with pressure; it's a common mistake (I know I did it!). After everything is healed, against the grain in your problem area while consciously using as little pressure as possible.

2) Do you have any recommendations regarding my gear? I bought feather blades because i wanted something sharp (I know i probably shouldn't being a noob) and i found out that the lord blade was equally as sharp.

You've got a great setup. The only thing I would change is the feather blade, try a few different blades. Everybody has their favorites, but I've had great luck with Nacet, PermaSharp Super, Polsilver Super Iridium. These are a step down in sharpness from the Feather's, but still plenty sharp to work well with a mild razor like the Lord L6.

Other than that, you've got everything you need. Stick with that setup for as long as possible. The longer you stick to one Razor/Blade/Soap combo, the faster you'll learn the fundamentals.

Happy shaves!

This razor blade sharpness test should give you a better idea of how sharp different blades are.

First try a mild blade like the Derby Extra.

If the Derby Extra feels a little tuggy, move up to an Astra Superior Platinum.

If that feels tuggy, go back to the Feather.

Basically, try to find the mildest blade which can still cut your hair easily.

And don't try going against the grain at all until you're getting regular two-pass shaves with no irritation.

Might not be a bad idea to stick to single-pass shaves until you get a feel for the new razor. Build up to BBS.

Welcome to B&B.
I would reiterate, try some different blades. It is possible ATG does not work for you so try XTG reversed in lieu of the ATG pass. In time your technique will improve and you should be able to complete an ATG pass.

Welcome. I agree with the above suggestions. Go slow. Don’t get aggressive. Take your time learning best technique for your face and skin.

I had the same problem when I stared with a DE shave. You have a great start to a better shave. If I were you I would change to a Gillette Blue, remember to shave very lightly. The mild blade for us beginners is a plus so don’t add any pressure like you would on your old cartridge razor. It takes time to break bad Habits we have been doing for years. The most impressive and what changed things for me was using an aftershave with Witch Hazel. You can stay with your brand and the Proraso has a great aftershave with Witch Hazel that closes your face up and has a bacteria killer in it that won’t dry out your skin.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard!

In answer to your questions:
1. I suggest you read through the WiKi and watch a few videos: tons of useful information.
2. I also suggest you purchase a blade sampler pack or two as only you can determine what works best.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Short update:

Yes I read the shaving guides on here and i admit the shaving angle tutorial was very very helpful. Apparently i was doing it very wrong before 😂😂.

I went to the local super market to find blades of various brands and only found Bic astor the red ones and Wilkinson sword classic, the package with the five blades and the DE plastic razor. I must say i was surprised to find out that it gave me a decent shave. Unfortunately the pimples i had from before hadn't healed so i kinda irritated them but the irritation went away quickly. I'll stick mainly with the lord l6 but was really tempted to try Wilkinson given the low price. Wilkinson blades were alright!

I'll keep reading wikis, they are so helpful!

Welcome Mike to the Sunny Badger and Blade forum!

You have a good start, but during your journey, many things will change. This has happened to all of us.
Lord6 and all stuff you mentioned are o.k.

All advice written here, is something I would follow if I were you.

I would like to give you some thoughts from me experience in the forum.

Razors: The "benchmark" for razors is Merkur 34C. This is the razor most people "know" and it is easy to compare to any other razor. I do not mean it is the best, but it is the razor to compare with others. (That's not my razor)

Blades: Astra Gillette SP. That's the most commonly used blade. This blade is to compare to others. (That's not my blade).

Brush: Boar brush is the Omega to compare to others. Badger brush I think Simpson is to compare. (they both are in my rotation)

Soap: Here is getting hard. Maybe Proraso (I hate it) and Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) (it is in my rotation). I think most threads are written for these two soaps. (Faena soap is an awesome Greek soap you should try sometime for me is as good as MdC)

Maybe some friends here, will disagree with what I have written, but this is it IMHO.

I do not recommend to you the above, but just something to have in mind.

I wish you all the best in this wonderful journey.

Welcome to B&B Mike!

As others have suggested, try a blade sampler and try substituting another XTG pass for the ATG while you work on your technique.

Lots of good advice already given. I'm just jumping in to welcome you to B & B. Hope you join in & get to know us.

I had the same problem when I stared with a DE shave. You have a great start to a better shave. If I were you I would change to a Gillette Blue, remember to shave very lightly. The mild blade for us beginners is a plus so don’t add any pressure like you would on your old cartridge razor. It takes time to break bad Habits we have been doing for years. The most impressive and what changed things for me was using an aftershave with Witch Hazel. You can stay with your brand and the Proraso has a great aftershave with Witch Hazel that closes your face up and has a bacteria killer in it that won’t dry out your skin.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the after shave. Haven't tested it yet but it smells amazing!

Welcome to B&B. I will be looking to see your thoughts on the BIC blades, especially the chromium platinum blades. They are made there in Greece and are one of my favorites. I now use Feather blades but like the others I recommend you hold off on them until you get your technique settled.

The pimples you are experiencing may very well be ingrown hairs. If so, you are shaving too close in that area and need to stop the ATG shaves in that spot. If they are not ingrown hairs, then it could be the aftershave. Find some Nivea aftershave balm for sensitive skin. Your face will thank you.

Top Bottom