What's new

Hello to the DE community! Noob here!

@TexOkie Shaver Thank you for your response.

I'll give an update when I use the BIC Astor blades.

As far as the pimples go, I do fear that they are caused by ingrown hair. I have been using the Noxzema cool carbon after shave balm. I switched to, but haven't yet used, the Proraso Eucalyptus and mint after shave. I guess i'll have to wait and see how that goes. I used to have Nivea but I have oily skin and I needed something that leaves a matte result so I never bought it again. I may try it again though.

PS I will try to avoid going ATG on the problem areas. I guess ATG is not for me....

PS I will try to avoid going ATG on the problem areas. I guess ATG is not for me....

Maybe not now, but it could happen in the future. You are still perfecting your technique and have yet to find the blade you like. I would bet that in six months you will be able to shave those spots ATG without the pimples.

@ackvil For now i am only going wtg. My pimples have increased and even a xtg pass causes irritation. I will slowly progress to more close shaves, doubling on the xtg.

@TexOkie Shaver I hope so, thank you for the advice! Surely it's a very early stage now. I'll get a blade sample pack and work from there...

Your set up is great. Truth be told, that set up could keep you happily and smoothly shaved for the rest of your life. (mind you, you will probably fall in the rabbit hole like most of us on this site, and eventually acquire an AD or two) You just need to keep at it. Your technique is what is lacking. It will get better, which applies to both shaving and lathering (just as important -- if not more so -- than the razor and blade selection). As time goes by you will get better.
Word of advice, I know many will tell you that you should "upgrade" to a badger brush when you can. I disagree, though I may be in the minority. Boar brushes are just as good (and in my opinion better) than badger brushes. Moreover, that Omega pro 49 is my FAVORITE BRUSH! Even with the less than stellar handle. I have had the highest of high end badgers and everything in between. You do not have a lower grade of brush simply because you have a boar brush.
Welcome.

@chromedometone

Thank you for replying!

I see what you are saying. Although what I have is more than sufficient, I will probably invest in more gear just to change things around. I will stick with what I have for now though. One thing that matters to me, other than the shaving quality, is the feel. I will probably end up with heavier razors with better handles. As far as the brush is concerned, what you say is very interesting. I kinda liked the omega 49 but I didn't have something else to compare it to so i decided to ask here in the forum. It's good to know that I am on the safe side gearwise.

Short update:

Today I shaved with the following:

Wilkinson Sword vintage DE razor (the metal butterfly one)
Feather Blades
Wilkinson Shaving Cream (rasiercreme)
Proraso Green pre shave
Wilkinson Pure Bristle Brush
Proraso Green after shave lotion
Noxzema Cool carbon balm
Nivea men moisturizing cream

I like the razor, the pre shave, the aftershave balm and lotion and nivea creme, the brush.

However, i had some issues with the shaving cream which left my face dry and generally dried up quickly. I also found the feather blades too sharp. I cut myself a couple times and went over some pimples that started bleeding. I don't know if it's my technique that lacks because i'm new or the fact that I only shaved yesterday so i didn't have long hairs because when i went to shave sideways i got cuts and painful moments....

Any advice?

PS I know I shouldn't shave that often at this point and shouldn't change my gear around until I get a hang of DE shaving but I couldn't resist myself. I found the razor only for 10 euros at my local store and bought it. I will now let at least a week pass before I shave again bcause I have pimples and cuts and shaving again soon seems unwise. I also know that I shouldn't use the feathers but I wanted to test them with the wilkinson razor.

I had the same problem when I stared with a DE shave. You have a great start to a better shave. If I were you I would change to a Gillette Blue, remember to shave very lightly. The mild blade for us beginners is a plus so don’t add any pressure like you would on your old cartridge razor. It takes time to break bad Habits we have been doing for years. The most impressive and what changed things for me was using an aftershave with Witch Hazel. You can stay with your brand and the Proraso has a great aftershave with Witch Hazel that closes your face up and has a bacteria killer in it that won’t dry out your skin.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! Who makes that brush?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered:

Astra Superior blue platinum
Perma sharp
derby blue
bic chrome platinum
personna platinum
gilette silver blue
derby extra
astra superior platinum

Let's see how it goes!

First of all I want to thank again all the people who contributed with great advice!

Today, 10/18/2020 I had the greatest shave since starting with DE shaving!

I preped with a long shower and cleansed my face with Nivea Cleansing Gel with lotus flower. I also left 2-3 days pass in betweem shaves and my face had healed from all irritation and pimples.

I used:

Razor: Lord L6
Blade: Lord platinum ( the one that came in the packaging with the lord l6 razor) in its third shave
Soap: Proraso sandalwood
Brush: Wilkinson Pure Badger
Pre shave: Proraso Green
Aftershave lotion: Proraso Green
Aftershave balm: Noxzema Cool carbon

Apparently the l6 - lord blade combination does work for me. Furthermore, i avoided going against the grain and only did a WTG pass and one diagonal pass, not exactly XTG. All using close to no pressure and being very careful with the angle. I guess very sharp blades are not for me. At least for now!

Mike

Welcome to the club

if the razor and blade are the only new bits then skip atg until you have technique down experimenting with blades is not a bad thing try gilettes silver blues as a nice middle of the road blade increase decrease from that point.
If however you have everything new switch back to your old stuff temporarily to rule the soap, brush etc out.

Welcome to the club

if the razor and blade are the only new bits then skip atg until you have technique down experimenting with blades is not a bad thing try gilettes silver blues as a nice middle of the road blade increase decrease from that point.
If however you have everything new switch back to your old stuff temporarily to rule the soap, brush etc out.

Thank you!

Everything is new.

Today's shave, 10/20/2020

Prep: Warm shower and nivea cleansing gel
Pre Shave: Proraso the white one
Razor: Wilkinson Classic the metallic butterfly
Blade: Lord platinum fourth shave
Brush: Omega pro 49 boar
Soap: Prosar greek shaving creme
Aftershave: Proraso lotion green + nivea sensitive balm + nivea moisturizing creme for men
Rating : 7 /10

I shaved very lightly today and did two passes. One WTG and one XTG but diagonally. Very very lightly. I got a couple weepers but nothing too bad. The creme performed perfectly. Lots of lather, nice protection and very nice post feel. Overall not amazing but ok - I always get the best shaves when at least 3 days have passed since the last shave. I only shaved yesterday but it was ok that's why I gave a score of 7. The razor performed ok, not something ultra amazing but it works just fine. The lord blade also was very nice although it's its 4th time being used. Proraso pre shave was a pleasant surprise. Nice smell and it gave a smoother shave.

I also got the following blades today in the mail:

Astra Superior blue platinum
Perma sharp
derby blue
bic chrome platinum
personna platinum
gilette silver blue
derby extra
astra superior platinum

Gonna be trying them out in the following months.

Regards, Mike

UPDATE: 10/24/2020

Yesterday i received a parker 24c, a yaqi rainbow brush 26", some dorco blades, kai blades and lord blades. I also got a razorock xxx soap. I used the parker with a lord platinum blade and xxx soap and had a great shave! I think it's a nice open comb for beginners. The yaqi brush is exceptional!

Cheers!

10/24/2020

Today I used the following:

Prep: Warm shower and I cleansed my face with dove cremesoap
Pre shave: Proraso green
Razor: Wilkinson classic metallic butterfly
Blade: Wilkinson sword
Brush: Wilkinson pure bristle 19''
Soap: Proraso red soap
After shave: Proraso Green lotion
Hydration: Nivea for men

Overall I had a comfortable shave even though I had just shaved yesterday. Only bad moment when I lost my concentration and cut my self pretty deep on my chin. I guess i'm still a rookie and kinda clumsy. I did two passes, one WTG and one XTG during which I got cut. It's really easy to get cut when you had been applying pressure for years with a cartridge razor. My muscle memory is still developing I guess!

The soap is ok but as the days pass I realize the difference with other better ones. It does the job though. Same goes for the razor. It does the job but it's very mild. Sometimes I don't even realize I am shaving. I enjoyed the small knot brush. It's still not broken in but I enjoy it. Very easy to load with lather. The wilkinson blade was brand new and gave an effortless shave. It's mild but with a slight "bite". The aftershave is ok. It helped with the bleeding. The Nivea moisturizing creme gives me a soft and hydrated face.

That's about it for today. I will let some days before I shave again cause I want the cuts to heal and some small pimples to go away before I put a razor on my face again!

Greetings!

When will I stop having tiny pimples after shaving against the grain?

It's been two weeks and some days since I started with DE shaving and I am still getting tiny pimples here and there. Is my skin still adjusting? Will I ever be completely free to shave however I want without problems?

I have been DE shaving for about six weeks and I still have issues against the grain. From what I understand some guys will never be able to go ATG with out irritation. Right now what is working for me is one pass XTG and a second XTG in the other direction. About once a week I try an ATG pass but I always feel some irritation most of the day afterwards. Since I have started using the #4 plate on my Rockwell I am getting more efficient shaves (less stubble left on my face). I might try bumping it up to a #5 plate. Anyhow you have to learn to crawl before you can walk and you have to learn to walk before you can run. I am as anxious as you to get up to full speed but practice helps. We will get there I think

I got some red spots on my skin today. They appeared like 2 hours after I shaved. I used the razorock xxx soap, the wilkinson butterfly razor and wilkinson blades. The one new thing today was the witch hazel. I splashed a lot on my face after I rinsed the alum block. I then used some nozxema cool carbon balm.

I must add that I last shaved the day before yesterday and i had some irritation cause prior to that I had shaved the day before, chasing a bbs both days. I let yesterday pass without shaving but apparently I should wait some because not only I got some weepers but i also got the red spots I mentioned earlier.

Anybody have any advice on what this might be and how to fight it?

Thank you

Hello to all.

I hope everybody has a great week.

Mine started with a bad shave.

The third pass of yesterday's shave was detrimental and not needed. You can see the results in the picture.

It was the first time using merkur blades and the second time using the Merkur 34c. Due to the mild character of the set up, I did three passes and i felt my skin sting more and more with each pass. I used the haslinger sheep's milk soap and applying it would sting. The big irritation came with the alum block and the aftershave. It left me with several red marks all over my chin and jawline.

I had only shaved yesterday so that might have played a role. I get the best shaves when 2-3 days have passed in between.

Could it be the Merkur blade? I used the razor before with excellent results so it must have been the blade. What do you say?

20201123_144903.jpg

Top Bottom