What's new

Hello to fellow shavers

Sending a big hello from SW Germany to the shaving community. I've been a wet shaver for most of my life, using the common system blades and cheap foam from the drug store shelf all these years. About two weeks ago I've switched to using a brush and either Proraso or Wilkinson soap. The next step will be to switch to a safety razor which I already got yesterday, a nice and shiny Edwin Jagger DE89 that I haven't used yet. I have to admit that I'm a bit nervous about this change so my plan is to test the razor over the weekend to see if and how I need to change my technique.

I never thought a lot about shaving before, but I see the opportunity to reduce a lot of bathroom waste by using a safety razor and traditional soap w/ brush. This is currently my main motivation.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your journey so far. You could keep us informed of your shaving journey by starting a diary or journal in the Diaries and Journals sub forum in the General Shaving Forum.

Welcome to the forum from New York City! Using a DE shaver and brush is a great way to reduce waste! All those plastic pieces of cartridges plus aerosol cans of cream will not end up in landfill - good on you!!!

Welcome Zapruder71. Like others have said, light pressure to weight of razor only is all that is necessary. Most times people who are used to cartridges apply too much pressure like they are used too and their faces are raw and red from too much pressure. Hurts too! Easy does it and you will be fine!

Mike

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Don't worry, with a mild razor like the
EJ, you'll pick it up in no time.

Welcome aboard from Texas. Thank you for sharing! I utilize my shaving time as "me" time. It's super relaxing, and I enjoy the experience.

I would highly recommend checking out the Shave Wiki here. Tons of great info to be had!

Thanks for the fine welcome words.

I couldn't wait until the weekend with my first DE shave so my Edwin Jagger had it's premiere this morning and I had mine with DE shaving. Worked quite well and I'm glad that I managed to shave without any cuts.

My technique needs some improvement though as some areas are not super smooth. I'm confident that I'll experience a steep learning curve in the next days:001_smile

Equipment: Edwin Jagger DE89LI, Proraso white soap, Feather blade (came with razor) and a really cheap brush.

Great first shave, congrats! As you learn technique, remember to apply no pressure onto your face with the razor. Place the razor against your face & let gravity pull it down while you use your hand to hold the razor head at the proper cutting angle as it goes down your face. Shaving is about hair reduction, not hair removal.

Lots of good info on the wiki pages. The best part about shaving, we get to practice every day! How's that for awesome! Enjoy!!!

Welcome to B&B Zapruder! The Edwin Jagger DE89 is a nice mild razor and a fine choice for delving into DE use. Grab yourself a sample pack of blades and find out which one works best for you.

Had my third shave today and I already see my technique improved. The skin below the chin feels a bit irritated and itchy though. Tossed the feather blade from yesterday and loaded the EJ89 with a Astra SS, I also got myself a traditional AS as well, I've hardy ever used one when shaving with cartridges.
I managed to get a decent close shave today with 3 passes:001_302:. Still no nicks and the EJ handling during the shave is great.

Do you guys dismantle the razer daily when cleaning? After a rinse, I still have sticky lather on the head, I need to rinse all the parts separately.

Top Bottom