What's new

Hello There, Rubberset Brush Advice Needed Please

Hi,
I'm new here but I've been shaving since about '74. My first Razor was an Atra. I still use it on occasion although the blades have become increasingly expensive when found.
My question is in regards to my Rubberset 55-4 Brush. I've had this brush so long that the memory of it's acquisition is lost to the fog of time.
A few days ago after giving it a good rinse, it gave a pop sound and this crack appeared. A picture is worth a thousand words. I have attached three images. I hope they show on the post.
I have always stored it properly, suspended by the handle with the bristles pointing down.
Mainly what I would like to know is if it can it be fixed or restored? Is it worth the cost? Is there someone that restores brushes?
Is there any history as to this model? What are the bristles? It seems to be pretty utilitarian with the unpainted handle. But I don't know.
Over time this has been the only brush that I have used. Decade after decade and I can't remember it ever losing a bristle. It has been a great brush.
If repair is not an option and if the cost were to climb to a level where a replacement would be the wiser way to go, I have been looking at some nice Vulfix, Semogue and Omega brushes.
I hope there is hope for my Rubberset.😉
Thank you to anyone who can help. I appreciate it much.
SQ

Attachments

• RUBBERSET IMAGE B.JPG
    RUBBERSET IMAGE B.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 32
  • RUBBERSET IMAGE A.JPG
    RUBBERSET IMAGE A.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 37
  • RUBBERSET IMAGE C.JPG
    RUBBERSET IMAGE C.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 35
Welcome to B&B.
You may get a better response by posting in the brush restoration section. However its seems that you need a new handle for that knot because I am doubtful that handle is repairable. Etsy could have a few suppliers of suitable handles if you remove that knot and measure it; it looks like it will come out very easily now.
Here is an old thread on brush handle vendors;brush handle vendors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/brush-handle-vendors.505964/
This may help too; Where is a good place to get a brush handle only? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/where-is-a-good-place-to-get-a-brush-handle-only.543055/

Welcome to B&B.
You may get a better response by posting in the brush restoration section. However its seems that you need a new handle for that knot because I am doubtful that handle is repairable. Etsy could have a few suppliers of suitable handles if you remove that knot and measure it; it looks like it will come out very easily now.
Here is an old thread on brush handle vendors;brush handle vendors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/brush-handle-vendors.505964/
This may help too; Where is a good place to get a brush handle only? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/where-is-a-good-place-to-get-a-brush-handle-only.543055/
Thank You

Welcome to B&B.

+1! Definitely! Those guys are expert! :thumbup::thumbup:

Not positive, but this looks like a screw-on top. If so, easy to disassemble and fix. Screw it off, puncture the knot with a small drill bit at high speed enough times it crumbles inward. Use a nonshrinking epoxy or hardening plastic filling putty to fix the head, being careful not to interfere with the threads on it (can usually wipe petroleum jelly on the bottom threads and screw them together while the repair sets to maintain threads). Then install your knot.

The problem with a split like this (full length) is that if the bristles expand when soaked it could reopen. I've seen this issue with a lot of vintage Bone and Ivory brushes, but some old plastics can demonstrate it as well. They split vertically and every use spreads the crack. You'd want to make sure to reinforce within before resetting the knot. Sizing down and using a hardset epoxy to fill around the knot would work, as would an inflexible band within the head, or simply tightly tying the new knot all the way up to to top of the brush head to create a small gap and filling around it with epoxy.

Bristles are boar.

No, it's worthless as a collectable/resale based on condition and what I've seen of similar brushes on eBay, but it could be very cool to restore and reknot anyway. You've got a lot of history with it and it can definitely be made to live again with a simple repair and a new knot.

Repair, assuming you have a dremel or drill would be the cost of some epoxy (maybe $5) and a knot ($5-100 depending on what you buy).

Replacement wouldn't be much different in cost, again depending on what you buy... but I think the brush has earned a second life.

I wouldn't bother salvaging the knot. That's one of the most worn down knots I've ever seen. Congratulations on getting that much use out of it... but a new knot will improve your shaving experience immeasurably.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Im a fan generally of that brush / handle style. If you search around you will find folks who restore or sell reproductions. I haven't personally tackled setting a knot myself i have a few candidates but to me your version looks like its past its prime after giving years of service. Ive never seen a doughnut hole like that. Good luck with what you do and keep us posted.

Not positive, but this looks like a screw-on top. If so, easy to disassemble and fix. Screw it off, puncture the knot with a small drill bit at high speed enough times it crumbles inward. Use a nonshrinking epoxy or hardening plastic filling putty to fix the head, being careful not to interfere with the threads on it (can usually wipe petroleum jelly on the bottom threads and screw them together while the repair sets to maintain threads). Then install your knot.

The problem with a split like this (full length) is that if the bristles expand when soaked it could reopen. I've seen this issue with a lot of vintage Bone and Ivory brushes, but some old plastics can demonstrate it as well. They split vertically and every use spreads the crack. You'd want to make sure to reinforce within before resetting the knot. Sizing down and using a hardset epoxy to fill around the knot would work, as would an inflexible band within the head, or simply tightly tying the new knot all the way up to to top of the brush head to create a small gap and filling around it with epoxy.

Bristles are boar.

No, it's worthless as a collectable/resale based on condition and what I've seen of similar brushes on eBay, but it could be very cool to restore and reknot anyway. You've got a lot of history with it and it can definitely be made to live again with a simple repair and a new knot.

Repair, assuming you have a dremel or drill would be the cost of some epoxy (maybe $5) and a knot ($5-100 depending on what you buy).

Replacement wouldn't be much different in cost, again depending on what you buy... but I think the brush has earned a second life.

I wouldn't bother salvaging the knot. That's one of the most worn down knots I've ever seen. Congratulations on getting that much use out of it... but a new knot will improve your shaving experience immeasurably.
Thank you for the information. This seems a cost effective way to start. I'll give the procedure a go before looking to see if it's worth the expense of sending it out for repair.
I did not think it had much if any monetary value. Was just curious as to any general information as I had not seen anything specific to this model in my online search.
I do have a long history with it. We'll see what happens.
Time to order up some epoxy and gather some tools for the operation.
Thanks again for the Information and instructions for the repair.
SQ

Im a fan generally of that brush / handle style. If you search around you will find folks who restore or sell reproductions. I haven't personally tackled setting a knot myself i have a few candidates but to me your version looks like its past its prime after giving years of service. Ive never seen a doughnut hole like that. Good luck with what you do and keep us posted.
Hi
I like the handle style as well. I'm going to try a DIY repair and see what happens. But I'm beginning to think along the lines of perhaps looking at something new. It has to be been one of the most long lived items that I was using regularly.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hi
I like the handle style as well. I'm going to try a DIY repair and see what happens. But I'm beginning to think along the lines of perhaps looking at something new. It has to be been one of the most long lived items that I was using regularly.
Best of luck on the repair.

Top Bottom