What's new

Hello! Recommendations for a newish daily shaver…..

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. Lots of great information already given! When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

2nd shave today. For some reason, didn't feel like it went as well as the first. Same prep as the first. This time I decided to start on my very sensitive neck area, where my hair grows sideways out from my adams apple. This is probably about a shaver width that grows that way, with the rest of the hair on my neck growing down. Went WTG and then moved onto the rest of my face like normal but my neck seems a lot more irritated and red post shave. Everywhere else is fine. My neck was one of the main trouble areas when I was using my electric and the main site of my bumps and ingrowns.

So I think I'm going to have to take a bit more care on the neck. I've just ordered some bump stopper to see if that helps but I think I'll give a cold water shave a go next time.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
2nd shave today. For some reason, didn't feel like it went as well as the first. Same prep as the first. This time I decided to start on my very sensitive neck area, where my hair grows sideways out from my adams apple. This is probably about a shaver width that grows that way, with the rest of the hair on my neck growing down. Went WTG and then moved onto the rest of my face like normal but my neck seems a lot more irritated and red post shave. Everywhere else is fine. My neck was one of the main trouble areas when I was using my electric and the main site of my bumps and ingrowns.

So I think I'm going to have to take a bit more care on the neck. I've just ordered some bump stopper to see if that helps but I think I'll give a cold water shave a go next time.

OK, what you have described, is you have razor burn. This is usually caused when the skin is not hydrated enough, and or the lather is not slick enough on your skin. What you end up doing is raking your skin with a razor blade, without the proper slickness, to allow the blade to glide across the skin. Without that, the blade will not glide and cut your hairs, what it will do, is rake or scrape the skin, as its cutting the hairs. Your skin can only take so much of that, until it lets you know.

I too suffer from having sensitive skin, and coupling that with course whiskers, is an awful combination. And I too would get major razor burn with an electric shaver, especially in the neck as well. Work on your lather, making sure its slick. Also, you might be a good candidate to try out a shaving cream instead of a shaving soap. With creams, you can do direct applications to your face and neck, and using your brush, to push the cream into your whiskers.

Creams tend to be slicker then shave soap right from the start. You might want to try a cream, and see how it goes.

Another 2 shaves done. Both with the same set up but I've done cold water shaves in the evenings rather than warm in the mornings.
I have to say, it's certainly an improvement for me. The cold water certainly leaves my skin less irritated. I'm sure some of that is getting better with the technique as well but I think I'll carry on with cold water for the time being.

I'm doing 3 passes on my cheeks/jawline. 1 WTG and 2 XTG. I'm doing 1 WTG pass on my neck around my problem areas whilst my in-growns/bumps from electric shaving continue to subside. I'm currently using Bump Stopper 2 on these areas. Applying a couple of times a day as well as straight after shaving. I think it is also definitely helping reduce down the bumps.

I've got one more shave I have to do for work, before a few days off so I can rest the skin a bit and hopefully finally let the last of the bumps subside.

I hope that after that, I'll be able to do a couple of passes on the neck to get a better shave. I'm not going to chase BBS as I don't need that, but a DFS all over would do me.

Last edited:

Irritation is usually caused by too much pressure. It can also be caused by too steep of an angle although there are steep angle shavers.

Remember, you don't have to get all the whiskers in one pass. You can put more lather on and do a second or third pass. There is a shortcut that few (if any) use besides me. I keep the head of the shaver on my face and push back some lather before the next stroke. This way, I only apply lather once, but get about eight strokes over every bit of skin.

Personally, I like ARKO sticks. It bypasses the whole lather in a bowl thing by lathering on the face. I use a Cremo horsehair brush.

If you pick a strategy and stick with it, it will move into your subconscious, which will do a better job of shaving than your conscious mind.

I'm guessing the clean shaven end-product is necessitated by use of a respirator. I used a DE safety razor for decades. It was a Merkur 32, nothing special at about $40. It gave me a fairly clean shave, close enough for your purposes, I'd think. Just use a very light touch, take your time, and with care and patience you should come out on top.

Welcome! Glad you're here!

The only 2 things that I would add/reinforce to what people have already said are:
  • The most user friendly razor that I have found is the Henson AL13. The best budget razor that is mild and easy to use is a vintage Gillette Tech. For a newbie, I'd recommend a Gillette Tech because you can get into it for $10-20. Add a stainless steel handle and you've got something you can use forever. For a newbie who wants to spend a little more, the Henson is very easy to use, but because of the lightweight you have to be very conscious not to use too much pressure.
  • Blade sampler pack. Try a bunch of different blades and even those that you don't like, don't be afraid to come back to after a few months. Your technique and your preferences will change over time.
  • The pictures of huge, foamy lather on a brush is pretty, but a wetter lather gives me a better shave. Don't be overly influenced by the pictures. Experiment with your lather to find out what works best for you.
I don't have a sliver of the knowledge that most of these guys on the forums have, but those are my starting suggestions.

I'm guessing the clean shaven end-product is necessitated by use of a respirator. I used a DE safety razor for decades. It was a Merkur 32, nothing special at about $40. It gave me a fairly clean shave, close enough for your purposes, I'd think. Just use a very light touch, take your time, and with care and patience you should come out on top.

Welcome! Glad you're here!

Yep. Need a seal for my face mask. Having had a beard nearly all my adult life it's taking a bit of getting used to A, not having one and B, shaving again after nearly 17 years!

• The pictures of huge, foamy lather on a brush is pretty, but a wetter lather gives me a better shave. Don't be overly influenced by the pictures. Experiment with your lather to find out what works best for you.
I don't have a sliver of the knowledge that most of these guys on the forums have, but those are my starting suggestions.

I am agreeing with this. I'm finding that I can feel a noticeable difference when I haven't made my lather wet enough. Usually when I come to rinse the razor off and the lather is stubbornly clinging on.

Depending on where you live, if there are sources for vintage razors, I suggest you start with a Gillette Tech or SuperSpeed. These razors work well on a wide variety of faces and can be had for $5 or $10 at antique stores, flea markets or as family hand-me-downs. Etsy and EBay are also good sources.
Modern versions of the Tech are the Lord L5 and various Chinese clones on the web for less than $10. I recommend these razors because they are easy to use and don’t require a big $ commitment if it doesn’t work out.
Another option is a Schick injector, especially the G and J series. These razors from the 1950’s are very easy to use and shave excellently. They are available on the web or antique/ flea market sources. With the Schicks, use only Chinese made Schicks in the yellow package, IMHO.
To find the right double edge blade, you might try a sampler pack. Work your way through the samples as you perfect your technique, then work your way through again. It can be tricky to find the best blade for your face but it’s a fun process. I’m a big fan of the Lord family of blades but YMMV.
If you have been using canned foam, I would stay with that until you refine your technique. Changing only one variable at a time will shorten the learning curve.
My ultimate advice is to resist the advice to spend gobs of money on shaving stuff. It doesn’t have to be expensive. Fantastic shaves are readily achievable with inexpensive equipment.
Good luck and good shaves!

Last edited:
Welcome to B & B where the knowledge runs deep, the people are extraordinary and we gain our knowledge by periodically falling down rabbit holes...
Hydration is a big factor, don't be afraid to play around with the water to product ratio to see what works best. Don't be afraid to not lather your entire face at once if you find that is allowing too much dry time or re-lather any part of your face that is starting to dry out. Pre-shave soaps or creams may help as well as good skin conditioning shave balms to follow up.

Hi all

Just a little update. Quite a few shaves in and I'm certainly starting to hone the technique. Still got a couple of little trouble areas underneath my jawline that I have to go at from different angles but on the whole, my skin and face is definitely appreciating the switch to DE shaving. I've learnt not to chase BBS as I don't need that for work. Just a DFS and my skin thanks me for it. Just really enjoying the whole process of taking a little bit of "me time" to enjoy having a shave now.

The DE89 is giving me a really good shave. Just finished up my first 5 pack of Astra SP blades. Enjoyed using them. Efficient and irritation free. Gonna try my voskhod blades next so I have a comparison.
The bump stopper I used really did make a noticeable difference to my ingrown and razor bumps left over from electric shaving. It's good stuff, if somewhat expensive for the small amount you get. Since getting my technique down, I've not had to use it since.

Just another thanks to all the advice from everyone and to anyone else taking the plunge into DE shaving....do it and stick with it....your face will thank you!

Glad to hear it's going well for you. I'm on a similar journey but not because I need to wear a mask on my face. I just prefer to shave. I tried DE shaving for the first time in April after 43 years of using cartridges. I'm not going back to cartridges. I've had a couple electric razors in my life, one foil and one rotary. They never worked that well for me and they irritated the crap out of my neck.

I empathize with you in particular because my beard grows exactly the same way yours does. I have the same razor-width strip of skin spanning my lower neck in which my hair grows sideways away from my Adam's apple (and perhaps a little bit upward). Because I'm a little on the thin side, I don't have much "meat" between my Adam's apple and my skin (I'm not complaining) to provide a smooth, flat surface for my skin in that area. I also have a little bit of a trouble spot just below my left jawline that grows sideways toward the back. I'm still trying to learn how to get both of those areas done without too much irritation.

Top Bottom