What's new

Hello, Newbie to DE Shaving Here

I went from having long hair almost to my waist to a shaved head in 1997. I started with the Gillette Sensor Excel, and I really liked it, but only shaving WTG. The first year or so, that I did ATG I got a lot of razor bumps and had to replace the cartridge for every shave, which meant more $$$.

Then my wife bought me a Mach 3 because of the 'fancy' 3 blades and all the hype from others about it being a great razor. I did notice the difference, however, I preferred the flexibility of the Sensor Excel around and behind my ears. I dealt with it (having stubbles behind my ears all the time) and kept using the Mach 3 until a co-worker mentioned and joined the dollar shave club last month.

I did some research and stumbled upon 'old school wet shaving' and got hooked on how cheap the blades are going the DE route. So last week, I went on a mission to find a DE razor at every antique shop I could find in my area. After hitting up approx. 7 shops, I found one that I liked (I was looking for a TTO).

It was, I believe, a 1970 Black Beauty Super Adjustable P2, in very decent shape for $12. Bought some old blades with it, Gillette and Wilkinson sword. It had a bit of soap residue, but cleaned off very easily. I went out and bought the VDH soap and brush set from Walgreens, and have shaved my face and head twice so far 4 days in between each.

I felt some irritation on the 2nd shave (I sport a circle beard), but I think it was my own fault for touching up without lather. I'm happy with the result, and based on reading all the posts on here I know that it will only get better with time and effort on my part. I used the Gillette blade for the first and half of the 2nd shave (1st pass on head, cheeks, and neck), then popped in the 2nd blade. I recently ordered and received a 100 pack of Astra SP's to use when I run through the Gillette's and Wilkinson's.

So... here are some questions I have:

Should I bother using the Gillette's and Wilkinson's or just jump straight to the Astras?
About how many ATG head shaves should/could I get from each blade?
Do I need to wash/rinse/rub with alcohol, each blade before use?

Thanks, and here are some pictures of my find:

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. The blades appear to be NOS (still in their original wrappers), so there's no problem with finishing them out before going to the Astras. Also, if they are NOS, there's no need to sterilize them. I don't head shave, so I can't comment on that, but blade life is very much an individual thing. It depends on the blade, the razor, your technique, and the type of skin and hair you have.

Welcome to B&B. That's a fantastic razor you got there for a steal. I just had my second shave with a Black Beauty 1969 O2 today loaded with a Astra SP blade and enjoy it quite a bit. If you like the Wilkinson Sword blades, then you will most likely enjoy the Astra SP blades as well. Most would recommend that you stick with the same blade and razor for a month to get your technique down. As far as how many shave to expect out of any particular blade, everyone is different with each brand of blade. Some use a blade once and throw it away, while others can get up two 2 weeks out of a blade. And some blades work better in certain razors, as strange as that sounds. As far as rinsing your razor, I just open the doors on mine slightly and rinse it off with warm/hot water. I'd only go through the trouble of using rubbing alcohol to clean it each time if I had a skin issue that required such lengthy efforts to prevent infections. All in all sounds like you are well on your way to enjoying the wonderful world of traditional wet shaving.

Welcome to B&B, and good job rocking the vintage Gillette razor and blades!

Should I bother using the Gillette's and Wilkinson's or just jump straight to the Astras?

>> Your call. You might give an Astra a try and see if it is any better for you. I suggest picking one type, and getting to know it well to develop technique.

About how many ATG head shaves should/could I get from each blade?

>> That is really going to vary based on your angle, skin, beard, etc. Some guys change blades on every shave, others go multiple days. Since you have a 100 Astra's on the way, you could change out after three or four shaves initially if you want, and at some point after your technique improves, you can try to figure out how long a blade lasts for you.

Do I need to wash/rinse/rub with alcohol, each blade before use?

>> I agree with xxvaleria said - looks like they are new old stock (NOS), so no need to wash them.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I failed to mention that I have the setting at 3, and will leave it there for a while lol. The razor was actually selling for $15, but they had a 20% sale, which the cashier seemed eager to mention. She mentioned to me that the vintage razors sell very fast, and mostly to military members.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome aboard B&B. That razor's a great find. It looks like you are off to a good start. Practice and patience will pay off in better and better shaves.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. The blades appear to be NOS (still in their original wrappers), so there's no problem with finishing them out before going to the Astras. Also, if they are NOS, there's no need to sterilize them. I don't head shave, so I can't comment on that, but blade life is very much an individual thing. It depends on the blade, the razor, your technique, and the type of skin and hair you have.

Steve has answered your questions. Welcome to B&B.

As a noob myself, you have landed in a great place.

Been a member for maybe a week now and everyone here has been great.

One of the members even PIF'd me a Gillette Flair Tip Super Speed[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] and an assortment of blades to try out.

I have also received a lot of advice on Brushes and Soaps and Lotions all of which I have ordered and are now on the way to me.

One thing that really impresses me about this place is that no one talks down to a noob like me and no one insist that I can't live without a $200 razor.

Lets just say that I have belonged to forums that have made me feel as welcome as an STD and have had some of the senior members basically do their best to make me feel ignorant and foolish.

Not this place! I intend on spending a lot of time here!
[/FONT]

Welcome.

I get about 2 complete head and face shaves per blade, although the life of the edge depends somewhat on the blade (all things being equal). I could probably push them further.

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes! I can tell this is a great place to be already. And 2 shaves per blade at approx. 17 cents a blade, beats the 1 shave on a Mach 3 at $2.83 (walmart 10-pack) per cartridge any day!

Top Bottom