What's new

Hello, Newbie here advice appreciated!

Thanks for the message, my EJ is also the blue one and I love the look and weight of it!! I hope that I can get it dialled in so I don’t have to let it go!
View attachment 1584110
Hi Bobby. Welcome to Badger and Blade.

I have both an AL13 ++ (medium) and an Edwin Jagger DE89. Now I know the DE89 isn't exactly the same as the 3ONE6 but what I have to say should still hold up.

First off, I want to say that you've been spoiled by the AL13. No joke. It is one of, if not the best "autopilot" razors out there. What I'm trying to say is that what you're used to using is a razor that won't let your nick yourself. You could shave with it blindfolded. Plus with it being the mild version you can get away with a little too much pressure. Being aluminum its also gotten you used to the feel of a light-weight razor.

With the Edwin Jagger, it's a much heavier razor then the AL13 so, with this kind of razor you really want to keep in the forefront of your mind the idea that you want to let gravity do the work. You don't want to apply any real pressure with this razor. It's weight is sort of a feature. You'll want to use this feature by not trying to over work it. Just let it glide across your face. Feel it do its work.

Concentrate on the angle you're using too. As the contour of your face changes you'll have to change the angle of the razor. Just go slowly when shaving your chin and with some time and more experience you'll get it dialed in. There's no trick or secret to dialing this razor in. You just have to pay attention to it's unique qualities and adjust your technique to it.

I'm a very experienced wet shaver and will nick myself 100% of the time when I'm using an unfamiliar razor for the first time. It's that experience with them that teaches me what adjustments I need to make. Same thing goes for you.

I hope that what I've said helps you. I know you can learn how to use your 3ONE6 without fear of nicks. Just give it some time and you'll get there.

I have only been doing this for a short 10 months, and gravitate to milder razors. The only time I see red now is if I'm rushing, or pressing too hard. When shaving my mustache area and chin I have to use an exceptionally light touch to avoid bloodshed.

Your razor is probably more agressive than what I typically use. Just take your time and use a light touch.

Welcome to B&B.

I have a 3ONE6 and a Henson Medium, and there's a big difference in blade feel (so I'd expect even more with the Mild). It's one of my favourite replaceable blade razors - though that's from someone who can be found playing with straight razors on a more regular basis, so we might be approaching it from a different direction.

Diving straight in with the Feathers was... ambitious. They're known as being as sharp as they come : I'm saving the ones that came with my 3ONE6 until I've been through a couple of Astras with it.

All the best.

Thanks for the comments, I didn’t know that different blades have different sharpness. I was using RK with Henson mild and I use Feather blade with the EJ since it came with it in the box.
So may be this Feather blade is also sharper than the RK? May be I will use RK with the EJ and see!

Yes, but I highly recommend doing the opposite - use the Feather with the Henson. The Hensons are amazing razors, my favorite so far. Feathers are about the sharpest blade out there. Pairing those up leads to a terrific shave for many. Try it and let us know.

<opinion> I find the RK to be the dullest blades I've used. I have tough whiskers and I can not get a good shave with them, regardless of razor they tug a lot. I wish I had whiskers that were easier to cut, life would be easier.

Last edited:
I highly recommend doing the opposite - use the feather with the Henson.
Bobby. This is good advice and something worth trying. Put sharper blades in more mild razors and more mild blades in more aggressive razors.

Doing this helps to equal out the two. That Feather is pretty much considered by all to be the Sharpest you can get.

I've not used an RK myself but give it a go in the EJ and report back.

Or not! I could be completely wrong!

BUT......if you are at ALL like me, I came to this way of shaving from a cartridge type of shaving system, and I swear, those things, the good ones anyway, make it so EASY to go fast and not watch your angle of approach that a 10 year old could probably very safely shave. So....you can go 100 mph and be sloppy and have a hangover and not get hurt.

5 or 6 years later I STILL tend to be sloppy with my angles and go too fast!

So that is just my go to answer for your type of problems, based on MY experience.

HOPEFULLY one of my SLACKER friends, with a LOT more intelligence than I, will be along shortly to give you GOOD advice.

They don't keep me around here for my knowledge. It's my incredibly handsome face that gives me a seat at the big boys table. Over 99% of the Gents on here are intimidated by my good looks. Or at least that is what my Mom tells me.

Great advice!!

I have no experience with your razors.

But I have used many razors, vintage and modern, over the years. For me any new razor means that I need to revisit my technique a bit, determine optimal angle, blade choice, etc. There are many variables in play!

Hi Bobby. Welcome to Badger and Blade.

I have both an AL13 ++ (medium) and an Edwin Jagger DE89. Now I know the DE89 isn't exactly the same as the 3ONE6 but what I have to say should still hold up.

First off, I want to say that you've been spoiled by the AL13. No joke. It is one of, if not the best "autopilot" razors out there. What I'm trying to say is that what you're used to using is a razor that won't let your nick yourself. You could shave with it blindfolded. Plus with it being the mild version you can get away with a little too much pressure. Being aluminum its also gotten you used to the feel of a light-weight razor.

With the Edwin Jagger, it's a much heavier razor then the AL13 so, with this kind of razor you really want to keep in the forefront of your mind the idea that you want to let gravity do the work. You don't want to apply any real pressure with this razor. It's weight is sort of a feature. You'll want to use this feature by not trying to over work it. Just let it glide across your face. Feel it do its work.

Concentrate on the angle you're using too. As the contour of your face changes you'll have to change the angle of the razor. Just go slowly when shaving your chin and with some time and more experience you'll get it dialed in. There's no trick or secret to dialing this razor in. You just have to pay attention to it's unique qualities and adjust your technique to it.

I'm a very experienced wet shaver and will nick myself 100% of the time when I'm using an unfamiliar razor for the first time. It's that experience with them that teaches me what adjustments I need to make. Same thing goes for you.

I hope that what I've said helps you. I know you can learn how to use your 3ONE6 without fear of nicks. Just give it some time and you'll get there.
Hi Time Bandit, thanks for your comments, what you said really makes to me. I see that I was spoiled using the AL13 Mild from the DE razor realm. With the new EJ, I now get to hone in on the real technique of using DE razor, a process I now look forward to!

Welcome to B&B.

I have a 3ONE6 and a Henson Medium, and there's a big difference in blade feel (so I'd expect even more with the Mild). It's one of my favourite replaceable blade razors - though that's from someone who can be found playing with straight razors on a more regular basis, so we might be approaching it from a different direction.

Diving straight in with the Feathers was... ambitious. They're known as being as sharp as they come : I'm saving the ones that came with my 3ONE6 until I've been through a couple of Astras with it.

All the best.
Hi Kaldane, thanks for your commens, with all the advices I received so far from the veterans here, I have a much better perspective on what I need to do now!

I now realize that the Feather blades that came with EJ 3one6 is very sharp and advanced blades. On the other hand, the RK blades that I bought with Henson AL13 seems to be duller and not the best. Some one here mentioned Astra blades, may be I should look into getting a medium-sharp blades to try with the EJ....do you or anyone have suggestion on which ones may be good for me to use with this EJ razor? Thanks!

Thanks everyone here for the advice! I now have a very good perspective of where I am in the wet shaving realm and what I need to work on!

I want to hold off on using my Henson AL13 Mild razor again until I learn to use my EJ 3ONE6 properly and without the bloodshed.

As for the blades, I see that RK blades are not the best in terms of quality and sharpness, but since I had bought 100 blades box when I bought the Henson, I am thinking to useing them up instead of wasting them by using them with EJ 3ONE6 in the process of learning the technique (perhaps change the blade every day).

After I'm done with the RK blades, which brand of blades do you recommend that is not so sharp like Feather blades but medium sharpness and qood quality?

Thanks,
Bob

do you or anyone have suggestion on which ones may be good for me to use with this EJ razor? Thanks!
I am going with the most obvious and unlikely answer, the RK blades! You have already been using them so they are a know item and eliminate a variable. This is one thing that is told to newbies all the time, stick with as many of the same things as you can and change only one thing at a time. The RK aren't bad blades per se and might be a good match for the EJ. The Henson can help you learn to respect the Feathers appropriately, so to speak. If all else fails and you want to try blades, we have The Great Blade Exchange here and occasional newbie PIFs of blades. If you want to save some money and get something decent, the Indian market Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades, not the German ones, are a good medium sharpness blade and work in all of my razors from mild to wild.

Of course after I post, he says that he is sticking with the RK blades. I deserve my honorary :facep:

Guys, I just finished a shave (weekend afternoon shave) and tried the RK blade in my EJ, used no pressure (holding lightly the balance point of the razor, thinking to let the gravity take care of it), carefully and gentle on the angle, took much time, and I succeeded in a shave without any cuts! ✌️
So it worked!
It took way too long though so I have to work on the efficiency being accurate over time!

Thanks to all of your helpful comments!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guys, I just finished a shave (weekend afternoon shave) and tried the RK blade in my EJ, used no pressure (holding lightly the balance point of the razor, thinking to let the gravity take care of it), carefully and gentle on the angle, took much time, and I succeeded in a shave without any cuts! ✌️
So it worked!
It took way too long though so I have to work on the efficiency being accurate over time!

First of all, congrats on a great shave. Secondly, a hearty welcome to B&B from Florida.

You are in good hands with those who have already responded.

So it worked!

Great job Bobby. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll naturally get quicker in time. But a nick/weeper free face is better than a bloody fast one. 😁

I think you're okay to just keep on with your 100 pack of the RK blades. They'll be just fine as you're already getting used to them. With that said, and to answer your question about what blades to consider next just know there a like thousands of different blades out there. So, there are even more (millions of) opinions.

I'll share with you since of the more popular blades and you can look into them for a future purchase.

In no particular order, Nacet, Astra (green), Astra (blue), Wizamet, Kai, various Gillette blades, Personna, Merkur, Wilkinson Sword, Derby, Dorco etc...

Like @APBinNCA said, keep your eyes out for blade PIFs as members will kindly send out various blades for volunteers to try out. There are also some fun, specify blade theme week events that take place here. Like for example when Shark Week is on TV there are a few Shark brand blades we'll all use.

Blades are just one of those things that are so subjective. There are so many different ones and are used in so many different razors by so many different people that's no one blade is best. They're just the perfect example of the term YMMV (you mileage may vary). You'll see it thrown around a lot here.

@Bobby YVR, join this PIF asap, @dmshaver is a generous and wise member of the B&B crew

Great job Bobby. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll naturally get quicker in time. But a nick/weeper free face is better than a bloody fast one. 😁

I think you're okay to just keep on with your 100 pack of the RK blades. They'll be just fine as you're already getting used to them. With that said, and to answer your question about what blades to consider next just know there a like thousands of different blades out there. So, there are even more (millions of) opinions.

I'll share with you since of the more popular blades and you can look into them for a future purchase.

In no particular order, Nacet, Astra (green), Astra (blue), Wizamet, Kai, various Gillette blades, Personna, Merkur, Wilkinson Sword, Derby, Dorco etc...

Like @APBinNCA said, keep your eyes out for blade PIFs as members will kindly send out various blades for volunteers to try out. There are also some fun, specify blade theme week events that take place here. Like for example when Shark Week is on TV there are a few Shark brand blades we'll all use.

Blades are just one of those things that are so subjective. There are so many different ones and are used in so many different razors by so many different people that's no one blade is best. They're just the perfect example of the term YMMV (you mileage may vary). You'll see it thrown around a lot here.
Great insight and thanks Time Bandit!
I’ll keep that in mind!
An online shop in Canada I’ve been using called Fendrihan offers various sampler blade packs so I’ll order one of them to test them out later.
Cheers!

Top Bottom