What's new

Hello! New Member Checkin In!

Thanks a lot you guys!

I do have a question...besides the great tip Mike gave me to use more of my arm (elbow) instead of my hand, how can I know I’m not pressing too hard on my skin? And how can I know the angle, that I think is 30 degrees, is the right one to help not cause irritation? Is it just practice? Or any other advice?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot you guys!

I do have a question...besides the great tip Mike gave me to use more of my arm (elbow) instead of my hand, how can I know I’m not pressing too hard on my skin? And how can I know the angle, that I think is 30 degrees, is the right one to help not cause irritation? Is it just practice? Or any other advice?

Thanks again!

yes, practice makes perfect. like all skills worth learning it takes time and patience. in terms of pressure, it's best to use as little pressure as possible, let the weight of the razor do the job for you, ideally you should not be pressing into you skin at all. I'v found that holding the razor with a light grip helps with this.
As for angle, I believe it differs depending on your razor, some have a steeper shaving angle than others. I have seen a diagram posted on some of the other threads showing the correct angles. I'll see if I can hunt it down for you.
I would say take it slow to begin with. most importantly, enjoy your self :001_tongu

yes, practice makes perfect. like all skills worth learning it takes time and patience. in terms of pressure, it's best to use as little pressure as possible, let the weight of the razor do the job for you, ideally you should not be pressing into you skin at all. I'v found that holding the razor with a light grip helps with this.
As for angle, I believe it differs depending on your razor, some have a steeper shaving angle than others. I have seen a diagram posted on some of the other threads showing the correct angles. I'll see if I can hunt it down for you.
I would say take it slow to begin with. most importantly, enjoy your self :001_tongu

Thanks a lot Rob!

Hey man. I also have sensitive skin and lived with dark red bumps on my neck for my whole life. I also have curly beard which is a killer for ingrowns. I could barely shave twice a week. Was very bad. Now I wear a tie to work and shave every day.

Irritaton is rare and fully my own fault when I chase BBS.

As your technique improves you may find that sharper smooth blades and more aggressive razors allow you to make less passes. For me this gives me a clean shaven look with out having to drag a razor repeatedly over my face.

Also, +1 No Pressure &+ 1 Astra SP and GSB

Keep the faith man!

Thanks a lot PigBrush. Ill definitely give the astra another try tomorrow. It just sucks when you think you are taking your time with the shaving and then end up with razor burn. I feel that whole day like I have a bad sun burn on my face, mostly my chin and neck.

It does suck. For sure. Been there. Dont be afraid to give your poor skin a rest while youre still learning. Hope the Astras work. YMMV.

It does suck. For sure. Been there. Dont be afraid to give your poor skin a rest while youre still learning. Hope the Astras work. YMMV.

Yea definitely going to let the skin rest for a couple of days.

How would I go about shaving after letting the hair grow for 4 days? Do I kind of trim it with an electric razor first?

Thanks again all of you for all your help guys!

Hello, Im a new member and wanted to say Hi!

IM 35 Years old and 3 weeks ago decided to start wet shaving for the first time! Ive always suffered from sensitive skin so ive always been scared to shave and have been basically using a razor machine trimming my beard for ever.

Decided to definitely shave with the whole Safety Razor and wanted to say its actually awesome! Every morning I wake up with a new adventure!

My mission is to be able to have a baby's face withi CERO irritation or razor bumps, etc!

Hopefully this thread is not too long! If it is I apologize and will learn from it...

So the tools im using:
- View attachment 957885 Viking Revolution microdermabrasion Face Scrub

- View attachment 957886 Proraso Pre-Shave Sensitive Cream

- View attachment 957888 Taylor of Old Bond Street Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream

- View attachment 957891 Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Brush

- View attachment 957892 Merkur Mk34C DE Razor

- View attachment 957893 Derby Extra Razor Blades

- View attachment 957895 Gentleman Jon Alum Block

- View attachment 957894 Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

The first two weeks I started using the whole Bevel Shaving Kit, but was having a lot of problems with irritation and ingrown hairs. Doing some research decided to try this week the tools you guys see and it has helped a lot but for example yesterday that I shaved got really irritated again on my chin and neck area..I guess im pressing too hard with the razor. Still trying to see the correct angle and correct pressure and passes but still difficult.

So what ive tried now is the following:

1. Wash my face with the face scrub and warm water
2. Rub the badger brush with warm water
3. Put on the Proraso Pre-Shave Cream
4. While Pre-Shave cream is doing its thing I start making my lather with a ceramic bowl and the brush
5. When I feel the shaving cream is ready I start rubing in circles the badger on my face making sure the whiskers are ready to shave and making sure my face and neck has a nice cream on.
6. Then I paint the face and neck with the brush
7. I start shaving WTG "hoping to not press hard and hoping im at the correct 30 degree angle" (I also use each side fo the DE blade after one pass and then use the other side, and then rinse with warm to hot water and keep on that way until I do the whole face and neck)
- The problem I have with this every time is that since I don't put any suppose pressure on my face on the first pass, I sometimes feel the razor starts pulling the hair, so I don't understand how everyone says to put as little pressure as possible.
8. After the first pass, I relather with the Pre-Shave Cream and relather with the shaving cream brush
9. I start the second pass WTG as well doing everything i did on the first pass but probably putting a little more pressure than the first pass since a lot of the hair wasn't shaved.
10. After that, I relather with the Pre-Shave Cream and relather with the Shaving Cream Brush.
11. I start the third pass XTG doing all the steps as the first two passes as well.
12. I rinse with warm water
13. I put the remainder of the shaving cream from the brush on my face with the hands
14. I take a hot shower finishing with a cold quick shower
15. While my face is still wet I use the Alum Block
16. Start cleaning the tools
17. rinse off some of the alum block and hand dry making sure face is still moist
18. Use the Nivea Post Shave Balm

and that's it! Im shaving every other day because every single time I get razor burn!!

Any suggestions are always welcomed!!!!

Thanks guys!

Paul

View attachment 957885

Welcome Paul,

You are indeed off to a great start. My only change for now would be to astras, nacet ss, or gsb for the blades.

Enjoy the journey, there are so many fun toys to play with lol!

Hello, Im a new member and wanted to say Hi!
IM 35 Years old and 3 weeks ago decided to start wet shaving for the first time!

Welcome. My son-in-law (about your age) started shaving with a Merkur 34C more than 10 years ago. I think it's the only DE he's ever bought. I, on the other hand, wasted money on a number of DE's before sticking with a 34G for 5 years. Neither my S-I-L nor I liked Derby blades, but they are a mild starting blade. Today, my S-I-L uses a sharp blade like Feathers but I prefer a mild (but better than Derby) blade like Personna Red or Astra SP. Enjoy the ride. The first 6 months of trial and error are fun.

Welcome. My son-in-law (about your age) started shaving with a Merkur 34C more than 10 years ago. I think it's the only DE he's ever bought. I, on the other hand, wasted money on a number of DE's before sticking with a 34G for 5 years. Neither my S-I-L nor I liked Derby blades, but they are a mild starting blade. Today, my S-I-L uses a sharp blade like Feathers but I prefer a mild (but better than Derby) blade like Personna Red or Astra SP. Enjoy the ride. The first 6 months of trial and error are fun.

Thanks a lot njpaddy! I do hace a set of astras and other mix of blades. Ill definitely give another try in the astras. I feel I still am putting some pressure on the razor si scared of going with the feathers which I hace as well

Pw

I apologize if this has already been stated, as I only read the first page...

Don't be afraid of experimenting with different blades, including the ones in the very sharp category (Feather, Bic Chrome Platinum, etc.). Do yourself a favor, and check out the sharpness level of the different blades, then buy a few sampler packs that contain blades from mild to wild.

Even with sensitive skin, you may find that you prefer the very sharp blades over the more mild Derby that you're currently using.

I also have very sensitive skin, and I prefer mild razors with extremely sharp blades. Feather is my number one choice.

Blade choice, IMO, is one of the very most important aspects of finding what works for you. Razor aggressiveness is also right up there. Now that you have a razor, rotate all the different blades through it. If you find that you're not able to get a comfortable shave after doing so, you'll want to think about changing the aggressiveness of your razor. If you find yourself getting another razor, you'll need to rotate blades through it again; most guys find that just because they love Feathers in one of their razors doesn't mean that they'll like Feathers in *all* of their razors.

Finding a blade that you like is *extremely* important. You have the software to get a great shave. Now get your hardware in order, and start with trying as many blades as your budget will comfortably allow.

Top Bottom