What's new

Hello! New Member Checkin In!

Hello, Im a new member and wanted to say Hi!

IM 35 Years old and 3 weeks ago decided to start wet shaving for the first time! Ive always suffered from sensitive skin so ive always been scared to shave and have been basically using a razor machine trimming my beard for ever.

Decided to definitely shave with the whole Safety Razor and wanted to say its actually awesome! Every morning I wake up with a new adventure!

My mission is to be able to have a baby's face withi CERO irritation or razor bumps, etc!

Hopefully this thread is not too long! If it is I apologize and will learn from it...

So the tools im using:
- image1.jpeg Viking Revolution microdermabrasion Face Scrub

- image4.jpeg Proraso Pre-Shave Sensitive Cream

- image6.jpeg Taylor of Old Bond Street Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream

- image5.jpeg Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Brush

- image7.jpeg Merkur Mk34C DE Razor

- image3.jpeg Derby Extra Razor Blades

- image2.jpeg Gentleman Jon Alum Block

- image8.jpeg Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

The first two weeks I started using the whole Bevel Shaving Kit, but was having a lot of problems with irritation and ingrown hairs. Doing some research decided to try this week the tools you guys see and it has helped a lot but for example yesterday that I shaved got really irritated again on my chin and neck area..I guess im pressing too hard with the razor. Still trying to see the correct angle and correct pressure and passes but still difficult.

So what ive tried now is the following:

1. Wash my face with the face scrub and warm water
2. Rub the badger brush with warm water
3. Put on the Proraso Pre-Shave Cream
4. While Pre-Shave cream is doing its thing I start making my lather with a ceramic bowl and the brush
5. When I feel the shaving cream is ready I start rubing in circles the badger on my face making sure the whiskers are ready to shave and making sure my face and neck has a nice cream on.
6. Then I paint the face and neck with the brush
7. I start shaving WTG "hoping to not press hard and hoping im at the correct 30 degree angle" (I also use each side fo the DE blade after one pass and then use the other side, and then rinse with warm to hot water and keep on that way until I do the whole face and neck)
- The problem I have with this every time is that since I don't put any suppose pressure on my face on the first pass, I sometimes feel the razor starts pulling the hair, so I don't understand how everyone says to put as little pressure as possible.
8. After the first pass, I relather with the Pre-Shave Cream and relather with the shaving cream brush
9. I start the second pass WTG as well doing everything i did on the first pass but probably putting a little more pressure than the first pass since a lot of the hair wasn't shaved.
10. After that, I relather with the Pre-Shave Cream and relather with the Shaving Cream Brush.
11. I start the third pass XTG doing all the steps as the first two passes as well.
12. I rinse with warm water
13. I put the remainder of the shaving cream from the brush on my face with the hands
14. I take a hot shower finishing with a cold quick shower
15. While my face is still wet I use the Alum Block
16. Start cleaning the tools
17. rinse off some of the alum block and hand dry making sure face is still moist
18. Use the Nivea Post Shave Balm

and that's it! Im shaving every other day because every single time I get razor burn!!

Any suggestions are always welcomed!!!!

Thanks guys!

Paul

image1.jpeg

Looks like you have a good start.

A few suggestions on your #7

Use short rapid strokes, keeping your wrist locked and moving your entire arm from the shoulder. You want to keep the correct angle on each stroke and moving a large mass (your entire arm) makes this simpler. It may seem awkward at first but it will keep you from flicking your wrist which will give you all kinds of blade angle (and problems).

Give this a shot first. Watch the razor head making sure it does not move around.

Hello and welcome, Maximo!

One thing i noticed a couple times in your post is the word 'pressure'. You're going to read this a number of times:
1) Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV); most everything shaving comes down to personal preference
2) Light to Zero pressure! Let the weight of the razor head do the work

I'm fairly new to DE shaving, but it didn't take too long for me to figure out that I was chasing the BBS result, which is great--don't get me wrong--but I noticed the 3rd pass on my neck and touch ups were causing irritation. Once I mapped out my beard grain and paid attention to how I was shaving things improved dramatically.

Looks like you have a good start.

A few suggestions on your #7

Use short rapid strokes, keeping your wrist locked and moving your entire arm from the shoulder. You want to keep the correct angle on each stroke and moving a large mass (your entire arm) makes this simpler. It may seem awkward at first but it will keep you from flicking your wrist which will give you all kinds of blade angle (and problems).

Give this a shot first. Watch the razor head making sure it does not move around.

Hello Mike thanks a lot for this tip! Will definitely give it a try tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome, Maximo!

One thing i noticed a couple times in your post is the word 'pressure'. You're going to read this a number of times:
1) Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV); most everything shaving comes down to personal preference
2) Light to Zero pressure! Let the weight of the razor head do the work

I'm fairly new to DE shaving, but it didn't take too long for me to figure out that I was chasing the BBS result, which is great--don't get me wrong--but I noticed the 3rd pass on my neck and touch ups were causing irritation. Once I mapped out my beard grain and paid attention to how I was shaving things improved dramatically.

Thanks a lot DePenguin!

Welcome to B&B.
The 30 degrees relates to blade angle so check with this to make sure wse are talking about the same thing; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
I never found any benefit in pre-shave products but good preparation and lather are very important for a good shave. The Mekur 34C is a good razor so you should have no problems in getting a good shave with that razor. The TfOBS creams are my favourites but I would suggest to try a blade sampler to find your best blade(s). I can use the Derby Extra but blades are very subjective.

Welcome to B&B.
The 30 degrees relates to blade angle so check with this to make sure wse are talking about the same thing; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
I never found any benefit in pre-shave products but good preparation and lather are very important for a good shave. The Mekur 34C is a good razor so you should have no problems in getting a good shave with that razor. The TfOBS creams are my favourites but I would suggest to try a blade sampler to find your best blade(s). I can use the Derby Extra but blades are very subjective.

Thanks invicta! What blade would you suggest for a beginner with sensitive skin?

Thanks invicta! What blade would you suggest for a beginner with sensitive skin?
That is hard to answer because blades are so subjective. For a good balance between sharp and smooth my favourite is Gillette Silver Blue followed by Astra SP but anything from the PPI stable is worth trying.

That is hard to answer because blades are so subjective. For a good balance between sharp and smooth my favourite is Gillette Silver Blue followed by Astra SP but anything from the PPI stable is worth trying.

Awesome. Will give the Gillette silver blue a try. I do hace the astra SP but ended up with a really bad razor burn. I definitely think my technique is still really bad.

Awesome. Will give the Gillette silver blue a try. I do hace the astra SP but ended up with a really bad razor burn. I definitely think my technique is still really bad.

Yes, don't discount any blade if your technique is poor. Astra SP is very popular so return to that blade at a later date.

Welcome aboard! :a14::a14:

You have some great kit! I suggest you read through the Wiki which has a TON of useful information!

IM 35 Years old and 3 weeks ago decided to start wet shaving for the first time! Ive always suffered from sensitive skin so ive always been scared to shave and have been basically using a razor machine trimming my beard for ever.

Decided to definitely shave with the whole Safety Razor and wanted to say its actually awesome! Every morning I wake up with a new adventure!

My mission is to be able to have a baby's face withi CERO irritation or razor bumps, etc!

Hopefully this thread is not too long! If it is I apologize and will learn from it...

So the tools im using:
- View attachment 957885 Viking Revolution microdermabrasion Face Scrub

- View attachment 957886 Proraso Pre-Shave Sensitive Cream

- View attachment 957888 Taylor of Old Bond Street Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream

- View attachment 957891 Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Brush

- View attachment 957892 Merkur Mk34C DE Razor

- View attachment 957893 Derby Extra Razor Blades

- View attachment 957895 Gentleman Jon Alum Block

- View attachment 957894 Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

The first two weeks I started using the whole Bevel Shaving Kit, but was having a lot of problems with irritation and ingrown hairs. Doing some research decided to try this week the tools you guys see and it has helped a lot but for example yesterday that I shaved got really irritated again on my chin and neck area..I guess im pressing too hard with the razor. Still trying to see the correct angle and correct pressure and passes but still difficult.

4. While Pre-Shave cream is doing its thing I start making my lather with a ceramic bowl and the brush
5. When I feel the shaving cream is ready I start rubing in circles the badger on my face making sure the whiskers are ready to shave and making sure my face and neck has a nice cream on.
7. I start shaving WTG "hoping to not press hard and hoping im at the correct 30 degree angle" (I also use each side fo the DE blade after one pass and then use the other side, and then rinse with warm to hot water and keep on that way until I do the whole face and neck)
- The problem I have with this every time is that since I don't put any suppose pressure on my face on the first pass, I sometimes feel the razor starts pulling the hair, so I don't understand how everyone says to put as little pressure as possible.
8. After the first pass, I relather with the Pre-Shave Cream and relather with the shaving cream brush
9. I start the second pass WTG as well doing everything i did on the first pass but probably putting a little more pressure than the first pass since a lot of the hair wasn't shaved.
10. After that, I relather with the Pre-Shave Cream and relather with the Shaving Cream Brush.
11. I start the third pass XTG doing all the steps as the first two passes as well.
13. I put the remainder of the shaving cream from the brush on my face with the hands
17. rinse off some of the alum block and hand dry making sure face is still moist

and that's it! Im shaving every other day because every single time I get razor burn!!

Thanks guys!

Paul

View attachment 957885

Welcome aboard!
It looks like you are off to s great start.

Welcome, Paul!
I'd try some other blades as has already been suggested, many shops have cheap blade sample packs so you can see what fits your needs as a beginner, and you can turn back to the discarded ones once you've improved your technique.
Hope you can soon shave with no skin irritation.

So the tools im using:
- View attachment 957885 Viking Revolution microdermabrasion Face Scrub

- View attachment 957886 Proraso Pre-Shave Sensitive Cream

- View attachment 957888 Taylor of Old Bond Street Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream

- View attachment 957891 Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Brush

- View attachment 957892 Merkur Mk34C DE Razor

- View attachment 957893 Derby Extra Razor Blades

- View attachment 957895 Gentleman Jon Alum Block

- View attachment 957894 Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Thanks guys!

Paul

View attachment 957885
Hi Paul, welcome aboard

looks like you've bought yourself a great starter pack. i see you've devised a very thorough shaving routine, mine consists of a lot less steps :letterk1:

keep working on your shave angle and no pressure and as others have said, there is a ton of good information on this site, feel free to ask any questions and join in on any of the discussions

Top Bottom