What's new

Hello, New Here, Have Something To Share!

Hello and a solid thank you to all of you who have provided so many valuable tips, recommendations, links, etc.

I have been coming to B&B quite regularly for the past 3 months and pleased to share that I have FINALLY achieved "Shave Ready" straights! Although far from a honemeister, I feel like I'm on the right track to at least replicate my new found success. That said, I wanted to share my own tip that I recently found when trying to "rehab" a few razors and pardon me if you all know of this tip, my hope is that some may not.

So, as I was working on a nice 7/8" Wade & Butcher and making my way through the grits of my paddle polishing wheels, I kept getting frustrated at the effort and creativity needed to polish the tang area between the scales and the inability to get close to the scales on the outside to remove patina and stains.

As I proceeded to order more polishing wheels one day, I happened upon a very reasonably priced set of 6 thermoplastic polishing discs at grits of 80, 120, 240, 400, 600 & 1000 that also came with a mandrel shank that fits in my dremmel.

Today was the first day that I used them and HOLY BOVINE these are the cats meow!!!! These thin wheels are PERFECT for getting the tang between the scales AND on the outside right up close to the scales with ZERO damage. I started with the 80 grit and made quick progress with stunning results. I then proceeded to give the wheels a try on the blade all the way up to the 1000 grit and again, VERY pleased with the polish.

My excitement is due to my lack of confidence or truth be told, desire to remove the scales on a razor in order to refurb the blade and tang and then have to repin the scales back. These wheels absolutely take away that need and I'm sure hoping that someone else will find these useful??

I'm very sorry for the long post and I promise to be less wordy in the future, I was/am simply excited to maybe help someone who lacks the skillset that most of you have.

Again, thank you.

Welcome to the forum.
Are you talking about the bristle discs for dremels? Never tried those before. I've used the small spongelike 'buffs', but they wear out quickly.

Welcome to the forum.
Are you talking about the bristle discs for dremels? Never tried those before. I've used the small spongelike 'buffs', but they wear out quickly.
Yes, they are radial bristle discs. I forgot to mention too that they work on jimps super good. These appear well made but I've decided to just use them for the tang btwn scales and jimps.

Top Bottom