What's new

Hello I'm the another newbie joining the wetshaving community and I have questions

Hello everybody and hi to this very nice and well mannered community.
Here is my story: I'm having problems with the usual Gillette Fushion and the disposables with both of them I'm getting razor bumps and irritations even that I shave my face after a hot shower and moist it with hot water. I've searched in google for a solution and an article in msnbc.com about the classic shaving hopped up the info was very interesting so as the links inside. One of the links send me here and I've been reading the forum for 2 days and I'm glad that I found people with my shaving problems and solutions to them. I've also watched the Mantics videos and now I have some questions about what I should buy or is the thing that I'm going to buy good and from what website I should buy it.
First I'm from Western Europe my country is in the EU(I'm saying this because you could recommend me some website over other because of my location).
Btw the budget is not too low but also not big.(around 100 bucks or lower)

Here is the list about what I've read as recommendations and from other people and videos(I hope you'll give me tips and directions where to go and what to choose)
First the Razor. My DE razor will be Merkur "Long Classic" Safety Razor (I suppose long because I'm a big guy and I have big hands) or should I get "Heavy Duty" because it will feel heavier(but still that's not the biggest problem). Everywhere where I read about DE Razors Mercur is there :001_smile a lot of people are recommending it for it's money and quality and it's German and since Germans made Mercedes how can I doubt about any product that they've made :lol:.

Second, the brush :001_smile Badger Brush someone is saying Vulfix other Edwin Jagger. I've read about the size that it's good to be medium from 20 to 23mm especially for starters like me. But still what I should get that:
Edwin Jagger
http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/1EJ947||@cEdwin%20Jagger%20Best%20badger%20shaving%20brushes@b|0|user||24|

or that Vulfix:
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/800550/422235.htm
or: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/800550/422301.htm
What should I get from these what and what you recommend.

Third, soap or cream. I'm looking for something good that will worth it's money and that will sooth my face and help me with preventing the irritations and bumps.

I've read that the glycerin-based creams like Geo F. Trumper’s or Taylor of Old Bond Street’s are very good but also expensive or something cheaper but also high-quality like Proraso with eucalyptus or Portugal’s Musgo Real.

About the soaps Tabac Shave Soap is recommended because it's easy to create latter also Trumpers or Taylor Old Bond soaps are also good stuff.
Btw is the Col. Conk Shave Soap-Amber cheap and good alternative or it's bad here link:
http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Col.-Conk-Shave-Soap%252dAmber%252d2.75oz.html

or that is better cheaper quality alternative the Proraso soap:
http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Proraso-Shaving-Soap-Ultra-Sensitive.html
Look the thing that matters is to best for shaving and the skin the fragrance is on last place even that a nice light refreshing fragrance(that smells like spring :w00t:) will be great but still my top priority is the effectiveness of the shaving.

Finally, last when I get my Merkur(probably "Long Classic" or "Heavy Duty") what blades I should put in it for starters(I know I shouldn't use the Feather they are for more experienced because they're ninja sharp :lol:) should I use the Merkur "Double-Edge" SS Platinum Blades, 10Pak: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/196010.htm this blades are offered as link when you're buying the Merkur Razors should I stick with them as original and recommended or I should get Gillette blades(I saw that they're good too) or some other blades for the razor.

I know probably that you're bored with my long post but I've read so much and I've watched so many videos for the last 2 days that that my head will explode(I'm writing this at 4 in the morning). Please recommend me some website because I saw some differences in some websites for example here:
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=129 the Merkur is a little bit cheaper than here http://www.classicshaving.com/Safety_Razors.html. The same is with the soaps at some websites are cheaper than others but still I'm ready to sacrifice some dollars for purchasing from more "safer" or reputed websites that I'll be sure that I'll get my stuff without a problem. That's why I'm asking you because I've never purchased anything from that kind from the internet and I'm not familiar about the websites and if you know whats the best place to order for someone in my location Western Europe and my country is in the EU please post.

Pfff I've wrote a novel I hope you'll understand what I'm asking I hope someone will take a little from his time and answer to my questions by recommending what to use cream/soap and what brand also which of the Brushes to choose, what blade and last but not least from where to purchase the stuff. I'll be very grateful to everyone who helps. Thanks in advance and good luck and goodnight I'm looking forward in joining the wet shaving club.

p.s. If there are some mistakes or wrong sentences please excuse me as I said I've wrote this at 4 o'clock in the morning gn.

As far as razor , go with 38c , long handle. I believe it is heavier than the hd. I am tall too , 6"5". I love my 38c long handle. As far as soaps or creams , try both.

Welcome to the group. Wonderful to have you here.

Also , Merkur blades are ok with me. They are on the pricey side. Try different blades. everyone reacts differently to different blades. I just picked up a 100 pack of derby blades on ebay for 12.50 shipped.

Welcome to B&B Unix! I'm sure you'll quickly realize that there is no "best" but rather what works best for you.

Be sure to checkout the Reviews section of the forum for specific opinions on various products.

Unix --

Welcome to B&B, glad to have you join us.

All the products you mention are quite good. For starting off, I'd recommend the Merkur razor, a 20~23mm badger brush, and since you're in the EU I'd start with the Euro Palmolive shave cream in the tube. I don't know what blades you have available, but use something the guys here at B&B recommend. As you gain experience, you can try new things, but that will get you started.

The is an active group of B&B'ers from Europe; I'm confident that some will stop by with recommendations.

-- John Gehman

Welcome, Unix!

Since we are in the liturgical season of lent, I just want to take this to mention that Unix is the only computer operating system mentioned in the Bible. Yes, surely, you have heard of Unix for the Kingdom of God! :biggrin1:

Anyway, on to shaving. I would get the Barber Pole 38C, the longer version of the HD. I have an HD Slant and a Barber Pole and the Barber Pole shaves better.

As far as the soaps/creams, are there any you can get locally that are inexpensive? For examples Wars in the tube is very inexpensive here, and is very good lathering cream.

Do you want softer brush, or one that is firmer?

I think you should get some other blades besides the Merkurs. Can you get any blades locally, like Astras, for example?

Start with cream, not soap.

What country are you located in?

Many countries in Europe sell Nivea lather shave cream in a tube, which is probably a good choice to start with and won't cost a lot. You may also have other good choices depending on what is stocked at your local drugstore/pharmacy/supermarket. Go there and see what they have. Look for creams in tubes, but NOT ones that say "brushless".

Don't buy Merkur blades, they are a ripoff. Depending on where you are you may be able to find some decent blades at your local drugstore/supermarket. If not, there are plenty of places to buy blades...they're all over ebay for instance. I would recommend going with a sample variety pack to start with so you can decide what you like.

If you are in Europe, you might be better off ordering from at least a store in UK or maybe someplace like Germany. The English Shaving Company is a reliable store, but depending on where you are there may be a better choice.

For a brush, I'd definitely go with something in a mid-grade hair, so the Jagger would be a good choice. Low-grade pure badger brushes are very scratchy on the skin and I can't really recommend them.

I used Proraso cream in the tube for my first shaves, you can't beet the feeling it gives your face when you close your pores with a cold cloth. Welcome to B&B!

PINAUD!

All those vendors are reputable, and all the products you've asked about are too. Try and buy locally online if poss. As well as the extra postage costs from the US, you may be up for local import duties when they arrive.

There's no go-to starter kit that's one size fits all. Go with what you like the sound of from your research, and your budget.

Merkur blades don't match the reputation of their razors though. A blade sampler pack is a must.

Thank you guys I'm glad that everyone is so nice and warm. So now again :lol: I'm gonna ask questions. Btw to the people that asked me where exactly I'm from, I'm from Europe, Bulgaria I live in the second biggest city in Bulgaria now it's around 1 mil population. There are several malls and there is 1 that is in building progress and it is supposed to be one of the biggest at the Balkan Peninsula(but still it needs time to be build and I don't wanna w8 months in hope that there will be some classic shaving stuff :D). Anyway I've never seen a shop or heard a shop for razors and special brushes and stuff for classic shaving.
I also checked some regulations about the import of commodities in my country and it says that if the stock is international(outside the EU) and not more than 150 Euro and it is send by online shop or a juridical person you don't pay duty fees and VAT that's good.
I also saw that there is free shipping on orders over 100$ at classicshaving.com. So in some way is good to buy something for 100 bucks and saving 15$ from shipping than buying something for 80$-85$ and paying 15$ for shipping. But still if you know some sites that are best for shopping in EU I'm open for suggestions and if you know other websites that are offering free shipping at some conditions and as I'm on the topic of asking questions :lol::laugh: please tell me is the Vulfix this: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/800550/422235.htm is that good for longtime use or I should take this http://www.theenglishshavingcompany...ger Best badger shaving brushes@b|0|user||24|

About the creme probably there could be a good creme somewhere in the city I'm gonna ask friends if they've heard at some shop that is selling good shaving creams. But I'm thinking for Proraso because of the good price and highly recommendations or Trumper rose cream but probably for starting I'll try Proraso because it's cheaper and with good recommendations or something local and cheaper if I manage to find.

About razors thank you for the advice I found 40 DE Blades Sampler Pack at ebay for 11$ with free shipping.

Blades are chosen and DE Razor(probably long heavy duty or just Long Classic but I'll figure that out by myself later) but I can say that they're also done. Now I'll w8 a little more recommendations for cream and brushes and please give some websites good for Europe, Bulgaria(European Union) or other websites that have free shipping over a certain price so I'll be able to buy everything in pack and get free shipping. At the end if I don't find or if there is not a good website for EU probably I'm gonna stick with classicshaving.com because of the free shipping for 100$ purchase and finding everything at once there but we'll see I'll w8 a few more days for more suggestions. Thank you again and I'm hoping that you're gonna give me good solutions of the questions that I've asked.

p.s. I'm definitely going for cream at the beginning because I'm a newbie but still I wanna ask again about this cheap soap is it good or bad:
Btw is the Col. Conk Shave Soap-Amber
http://www.leesrazors.com/products/C...52d2.75oz.html

Unix, I find that I really enjoy Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) Almond shaving cream.
It is easy to get good lather using it, and the fragrance pleases me.
Many members here like their avocado and sandalwood creams also.

I also saw that there is free shipping on orders over 100$ at classicshaving.com.

I think you'll find that only applies inside the US. So a bulk order could be quite expensive to ship - check beforehand.

This is why it was suggested to find a vendor in Europe, so shipping costs will be lower.

Last edited:
pfff ye I saw it's DOMESTIC :( I'm gonna try to look for a vendor in Europe and if someone knows please put a link.

Top Bottom