What's new

Hello! I am a nervous newbie here who is greatly in need of some help and advice!

Once you get your DE technique down, you should notice a marked decrease in (or even elimination of) ingrown hairs.

Blades: I like Gillette Bleue Extras--best combo of sharpness and smoothness. You'll learn that DE razors all too often are either sharp or smooth but not necessarily both. The "Red Personnas" are another good pick.

Cream: Proraso and Omega are often recommended for newbies; however, I would include Ingram (made in England) as an option--similar cooling sensation with more lubricity. I recommend staying away from the hard shaving soaps initially, since they can be difficult to convert into good lather unless you have good brush skills.

So, I just purchased all of the things I believe I need to have a wonderful first wetshave experience:

RZ-MER-33C Merkur 33C Classic Safety Razor $25.50 1 $25.50
RB-CRY-001 Crystal Double Edge Razor Blades $2.00 1 $2.00
RB-PER-001 Red Pack Israeli Double Edge Razor Blades $1.75 1 $1.75
SB-VUL-2234S Vulfix 2234S Super Badger Shaving Brush $55.00 1 $55.00
SC-TAY-01006 Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Bowl, Avocado $14.00 1 $14.00

How did I do? Am I missing anything guys?! Haha...jeez I am like so nervous.

EDIT: I was going to go with the Trumper Coconut cream but I have heard such great things about the Taylors Avocado and it is much cheaper...So I am giving it a go!

Last edited:
Get yourself a styptic pencil or an alum block, too. You may nick yourself here and there when you start, and razor burn is not uncommon when you initially switch to DE shaving as your face gets used to it. Though an alum block is great for reducing irritation and razor burn after a shave, I've never found it to be too effective at stopping any bleeding. A styptic pencil, however, is incredibly effective. I suggest getting at least one of these; you won't regret it.

Top Bottom