What's new

Hello. Headshaver checking in.

Welcome
That's an aggressive razor for headshaving. Dial it down, go slow.
If you have never shaved your head, it might be better to start w a cart.....so you get used to it (scalp , hand eye coordination, etc).
It's all quite new to me to be honest.. the aggressiveness of the razor was not even a consideration when I got the Futur, it just looked fancy and was adjustable so thought it would be perfect from now to forever with maybe a few new bits and peices along the way.

I will percivere though as I feel I'm close to getting it right. It's just very unforgiving to errors in handling. The Wilkinson Sword razor was a far milder (and enjoyable at the moment) shave, it just doesn't get as close as the Futur. I love the super smooth feel.

The FAQs on here are an invaluable resource and I'll without doubt rereading more of them over the next day or 2.

As much as I'm feeling the pain now, I can't wait for the satisfaction of a nick, shred free headshave with the Futur.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I have a stable of great razors...BUT only use the one razor each and every time on my head. The Rockwell 6s on plate 6. Not even tempted to use anything else.

The face shaves get the variety of razors.

something bad happened. I stripped a good 2cm of skin from the the very top of my head. After pulling it out of the razor i looked at the neck of the shaver to see it was set to 5. Setting it to 1 made for a more comfortable albeit cautious shave. It was definitely a harder shave than the Wilkinson Sword, but closer.

Wow, sounds bad! I've done that once, but removed less flesh than you did. Nasty!

I generally head shave using a straight (well more accurately an Artist club kami) but occasionally when rushed I use my safety razor (a V2 Razorock Hawk). I don't treat the latter lightly anymore after I carved myself up good and proper once quite recently. The importance of prep and light pressure can't be understated. But a safety razor is definitely quicker than a straight, and enjoyable in its own right.

For me the big things are thorough hot water prep, get the scalp nice and pink, stubble good and moist. Rich but slick lather. Like you I go ATG and have to really concentrate on not using excessive pressure - years of shaving with a cart gave me a bad habit of pressing way too hard with the razor, and that's what caused my multiple injuries recently!

Anyway, welcome to the club, and enjoy your journey!

Luke

After reading the comments and nursing my head for a few days, I felt the Futur needed an early retirement and replaced with a recommended milder shave. So, last night I placed an order for a Rockwell 6S in the black.

Fast forward this morning and I'm not sure whether it was determination or sadism, I decided to have 1 more go with the Futur.

Armed with warm towels, some shaving oil and the same setup as before I went at it! Far more cautiously. I tried WTG and it did nothing. I tried ATG and the same. Against it was. Slow, short and light to the touch. Once the area was cleared of cream I moved on to the next area, dollop, spread, shave. I repeated this process till I had not a single bit of fuzz or resistance. All that was left to do was a quick alum, splash of aftershave and moisturise.. didnt feel any additional stings or burns!

So, I now have a BBS head, no new nicks or cuts.

In conclusion. Be patient.. dont add pressure, keep well lubed. Well chuffed!

So, what to do with the 6S that's an route? Well it's the start of a new hobby innit!! Got to catch them all!!

After reading the comments and nursing my head for a few days, I felt the Futur needed an early retirement and replaced with a recommended milder shave. So, last night I placed an order for a Rockwell 6S in the black.

Fast forward this morning and I'm not sure whether it was determination or sadism, I decided to have 1 more go with the Futur.

Armed with warm towels, some shaving oil and the same setup as before I went at it! Far more cautiously. I tried WTG and it did nothing. I tried ATG and the same. Against it was. Slow, short and light to the touch. Once the area was cleared of cream I moved on to the next area, dollop, spread, shave. I repeated this process till I had not a single bit of fuzz or resistance. All that was left to do was a quick alum, splash of aftershave and moisturise.. didnt feel any additional stings or burns!

So, I now have a BBS head, no new nicks or cuts.

In conclusion. Be patient.. dont add pressure, keep well lubed. Well chuffed!

So, what to do with the 6S that's an route? Well it's the start of a new hobby innit!! Got to catch them all!!

So it looks like sunglasses are required due to the shine from your newly gleaming bonce. 😎

But you’ve got a superb razor on the way - my 6s is my go-to out of my eighteen razors - none of the others are as efficient or as consistent!

Mind be warned - even after thirty years of head shaving, you can still have a mishap, as I did Christmas Day, with a usually reliable Bolzano - I must’ve nicked a capillary 🙄:

BD4BBF25-A9FD-42A5-9664-DDA35EAF428D.jpeg

Happy to say this VERY rare! 😁

So it looks like sunglasses are required due to the shine from your newly gleaming bonce. 😎

But you’ve got a superb razor on the way - my 6s is my go-to out of my eighteen razors - none of the others are as efficient or as consistent!

Mind be warned - even after thirty years of head shaving, you can still have a mishap, as I did Christmas Day, with a usually reliable Bolzano - I must’ve nicked a capillary 🙄:

View attachment 1212991

:eek2:...:a46:

View attachment 1212991

:eek2: looks brutal. Bet that stung a bit post shave?

Yeah, so excited to get the 6S. With a fellow headshaver recommendation (thank you :) ) and quite a lot of acclaim elsewhere i'm really looking forward to giving it a go. Got some Astra blades too to see what difference they make.

I know in the grand scheme of the world right now this may not seem like a big thing, but I genuinely felt sad this weekend that its taken me so long to discover 'real' shaving having used clippers for the last 20 years!! I feel its so much more than a shaving experience. Its time to think, a real calming experience (unless you are tearing your head up), and just quality personal time which is quite hard to come by with the family WFH and home schooling.

Welcome to B&B, Chris.

I shave my face and head daily. I usually use the same razor for both except when I am in a rush. Then I resort to a cart to avoid a blood bath.

How many times you shave in a week?
I shave my head and neck upto 3 times a week now. When i was using the clippers it would be about once a week.. much to the missus disdain. She hated it when i looked like a monk!

I did try cartridges at the turn of the year (just before going razors) however i felt like i was going over the same bits over and over again and needed 2 to get a nice polished finish! Real razors just felt the best solution.

:eek2: looks brutal. Bet that stung a bit post shave?

Yeah, so excited to get the 6S. With a fellow headshaver recommendation (thank you :) ) and quite a lot of acclaim elsewhere i'm really looking forward to giving it a go. Got some Astra blades too to see what difference they make.

I know in the grand scheme of the world right now this may not seem like a big thing, but I genuinely felt sad this weekend that its taken me so long to discover 'real' shaving having used clippers for the last 20 years!! I feel its so much more than a shaving experience. Its time to think, a real calming experience (unless you are tearing your head up), and just quality personal time which is quite hard to come by with the family WFH and home schooling.
Surprisingly @Toff74, it didn’t! In fact I was merrily shaving away, and didn’t realise I’d done it until I saw the red rivulet run down onto my neck! 😁 I think I’m fairly immune by now to cuts and blood, and I’ve had more irritation from much smaller nicks than this one! 😝

I love my 6s, and I’ve also had good results from the Astra Superior Platinum blades. So the omens should be decent. I used carts for years, and I wish too that I’d turned to DE years previously. And you’re right to say that it’s a chance to enjoy a little ‘me‘ time, and feel and smell good! 😁 Enjoy the journey!

So, day 1 with the new kit:

2 words to explain how it went - ouch and smooth.

I used a pre shave oil and warm towels followed by the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandlewood shaving cream. Worked it up to a right lather and dolloped it on. I started with a long stroke from the front of the head to the back.. something bad happened. I stripped a good 2cm of skin from the the very top of my head. After pulling it out of the razor i looked at the neck of the shaver to see it was set to 5. Setting it to 1 made for a more comfortable albeit cautious shave. It was definitely a harder shave than the Wilkinson Sword, but closer.

I finished with a lot of Allum'ing and splash of Old Spice (cheap yet cheerful until the good stuff arrives). Once dried I treated my head to a moisture with Keihl's. It feels so smooth, with only a few burny bits. I'm looking forward to trying my neck later. If you don't hear from me by 9pm GMT its all gone horribly wrong..

To sum it up, it was challenging but enjoyable process. I look forward to getting more practice in!

Here's a pic of my kit:

The bowl is just a fancy painted coconut shell.. love it!View attachment 1210976:em19:
I have been headshaving for about 23 years, and the last 5 or so, have gone from everyday to 1-2x/week, just feel like it gives the skin up top a break......Still looks good, and satisfying when I do hit it !!!!

Top Bottom