What's new

Hello from Wisconsin

New guy here from Wisconsin.

I am a pen turner and started using a DE about 5 years ago when I traded some custom cast razor handle blanks for a finished razor. After working my way through a sampler pack of blades settling on a couple blades that seemed to work well for me I picked up a brush and a puck of some kind of soap from the local Walgreens. Of course, one brush wasn't enough so I bought an off brand better badger brush and a different boar brush to play with. Then, I bought some inexpensive knots off eBay so I could make my own brush to go with my razor. Still diving diving deeper down the rabbit hole, I decided that I wanted to try to make my own soap. After buying all the proper ingredients, I made one batch, which seemed to work pretty good, but after using a couple pucks of it switched to Cremo non-lathering cream.

I have been content with my shaving once or twice a week with the same razor and blade brand and cream for the last couple of years until I stumbled across Badger & Blade a week or so ago and my ADD fueled obsession has been rekindled. Now I am finding my self looking for vintage Avon aftershaves and different soaps and creams so I can dust off my brushes. I am contemplating trying a new razor but have no idea where to start with that side track. I am also running through my head how and where I can organize all my newly acquired shave stuff (once I start acquiring it) and how I am going to slip it all past the management since her and I share a fairly tight bathroom space.

What have I gotten myself into. I look forward to reading more posts and learning more and I dive deeper into this hobby

New guy here from Wisconsin.

I am a pen turner and started using a DE about 5 years ago when I traded some custom cast razor handle blanks for a finished razor. After working my way through a sampler pack of blades settling on a couple blades that seemed to work well for me I picked up a brush and a puck of some kind of soap from the local Walgreens. Of course, one brush wasn't enough so I bought an off brand better badger brush and a different boar brush to play with. Then, I bought some inexpensive knots off eBay so I could make my own brush to go with my razor. Still diving diving deeper down the rabbit hole, I decided that I wanted to try to make my own soap. After buying all the proper ingredients, I made one batch, which seemed to work pretty good, but after using a couple pucks of it switched to Cremo non-lathering cream.

I have been content with my shaving once or twice a week with the same razor and blade brand and cream for the last couple of years until I stumbled across Badger & Blade a week or so ago and my ADD fueled obsession has been rekindled. Now I am finding my self looking for vintage Avon aftershaves and different soaps and creams so I can dust off my brushes. I am contemplating trying a new razor but have no idea where to start with that side track. I am also running through my head how and where I can organize all my newly acquired shave stuff (once I start acquiring it) and how I am going to slip it all past the management since her and I share a fairly tight bathroom space.

What have I gotten myself into. I look forward to reading more posts and learning more and I dive deeper into this hobby
Welcome to the group from south of the border (Illinois). You’ve gotten yourself into a rabbit hole on steroids!!!😀

Hey woodwzrd, welcome. I'm new from WI too. Just got into DE gear myself. Because of work from home I had the biggest beard of my life, no shaving for 6 months. Then in August I had to shave again while at Annual Training. Bought a Van Der Haagen razor at the PX on a whim. Then, like you, I found this forum, razor addiction (and like some guy said "a portal to my wallet opened"). I have especially enjoyed reading about vintage Gillette razors. I visited my local antique store and found a red tip and open comb new for like $5 each. Now it is 2 months later and several antique store visits for razors and a cool WWI shaving kit, a Maggards order for soap samples, add in some ebay and Amazon purchases.... I am really good at cleaning and polishing these functional pieces of history. I also enjoy badger brushes and good soap. I'll try to post some scary pictures of what can happen in just 2 months after finding Badger and Blade. Dude you are going to need a bigger bathroom is all I can say. For me, I can hide it in my drill bag. Only time I shave anyway.
1016202221.jpg
1016202222.jpg
1016202222a.jpg
1016202222c.jpg
1016202222b.jpg
1016202229.jpg

Top Bottom