What's new

Hello from Wales

Hi there!

Long time reader, first time poster here and just wanted to introduce myself and drop a few lines about my rediscovery of the wet shave.

My name is Balazs and I’m from the UK(Wales). In the past I was using cartridge razors, but since it frequently caused me irritation and razor burns I’ve switched to rotary electric shavers. I was using them for the past almost 10 years, but I never got a properly smooth shave with them, so from time to time, when needed a super smooth finish I’ve picked up the cartridge razor and went for a round of irritation and so on.

So I’ve just discovered a couple of months ago that my grandfather indeed knew more about shaving than most modern men does, and the razors he used are still cutting edge technology, quite literally that is.

Spent ages to read upon forums, mainly this one, so I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who contributed the wealthy information available on this site.

At the end I’ve decided to give it a go, although at this point I was still a bit sceptic, but since I was about to replace my Philips rotary shaver I thought, for the fraction of the price I can give this a go.

So I went for a Merkur 34C, Astra SP blades, Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream and pure badger brush, Proraso White Preshave cream and aftershave balm, alum block.

So my first experience blew my mind. Even though I had to learn how to handle this razor properly, the learning curve wasn’t too steep for me and the result was amazing. Close shave, no razor burns or irritation.

So after a couple of week on and hours of research online, I’ve decided to get a Feather AS-D2. I was astonished by the quality of the craftsmanship, and in real life it was even better.

Unfortunately my experience wasn’t pleasant with this razor. Immediately I felt tugging and pulling while using it, just like I had with the cartridge razors, and by the end of the shave I had a couple of little bleeders too. Irritation on my neck, razor burns on my cheek.

At this point I was using Astra SP blades in the razor, because I was convinced that I should only change just one variable, so I can accurately compare the Merkur to the Feather, but after this experience and more research on the forums I’ve put a feather blade in it. Same result, just maybe less pulling. Tried to adjust the angle and all that, spent 3 painful weeks with this beauty but at the end it was just sitting on the shelf while I was using a razor that costs tenth of the price, so I’ve returned it. Maybe a couple of years later, when my technic gets better and/or Feather comes up with the next generation.

Later on I bought a Rockwell 6C because I wanted to have an adjustable razor and to me, at least so far, is shaving nirvana. I use the 2/4 plate, start with a 4 on the fist 2 pass (WTG, XTG) and finish it off with the 2 plate (ATG and clean-ups).

Since then also acquired a ceramic shaving bowl, I was initially just using a plastic mug from the kitchen, but with this ceramic bowl I really enjoy that the leather is quite warm when I put it on.

Also ordered more blades to try (the most recommended ones). For now I only have the Astra SP and the Feather (yellow), but for now I like the Astra better, for a noob that I am it is a bit more forgiving in the Rockwell 6C, at least I make less mistakes with it.

Lately I’ve bought some Proraso shaving cream too, but it feels like miles away from the ToBS cream. Is it something I do wrong when doing the lather, or is the Proraso cream is just not as slick as the ToBS?

I would be grateful if someone could suggest shaving creams/soaps to me. I don’t even know if soaps are any better? I’m not a vegan so I don’t mind if its made from animal fat or such. Where do I start with them? I heard about Mitchell’s and obviously ToBS and Proraso does soaps too.

Currently I’m enjoying the ToBS Sandalwood, but I get bored quickly so with everything I need a variety I can rotate. Not sure what should I do with the Proraso shaving cream though, since it takes me more time to shave with it, I just have to apply the preshave balm between passes to keep my face slick. I did not have this issue with the ToBS Sandalwood.

I apologies for the wall of text, just wanted to drop my 2cent, and say hello.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Welcome aboard.

As to the feather difficulties, different razor often means different angle, and if your angle is off, you will get that tugging.

Have a read of this thread, as it could help you in shortening the learning curve. The Wanderers Guide To DE Shaving

As to soaps and creams, they all vary too. You'll need to experiment with them to find out what works best with your water and your brush. Have fun, and good luck.

Well, I can't offer a lot of advice as I'm new to DE Shaving after wet shaving with multi-blade razors for ~50 years. I'm 12 shaves into the DE experience (EJ D89 w/Astra SP's as my favorite blade thus far) so an a newb. Nevertheless - welcome to the fray.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your back ground and you will learn a lot here just as I have.

Welcome to the club, Balazs. Glad to have you aboard. It's a shame that you got rid of the AS-D2 as it is one of the best razors out there. It does, however, require a much shallower angle than most other DE razors. For shaving cream, why not stick with ToBS--I think they have something like 17 scents to choose from, and all that I have tried are excellent.

Welcome to B&B. You started with a good set of kit so keep going with it. Worth trying a few of the Petersburg blades and Connaught Shaving has a good selection, see below.
I feel the problem with the Feather razor may have been blade angle which may have been too steep but that is something to consider for the future. Check out the Shaving Wiki.
The Proraso is a good cream but you probably need a lot more water in the lather to get it slick.
Gillette 40.JPG

Samples are a great way to try different products. People on here will give you recommendations on soaps and creams if you give some parameters. If there’s a certain scent you like or performance characteristic (e.g. slickness or post shave feel) that would help narrow it down. And budget.

Welcome to B&B from a fellow UK-based DE user. Re soaps, it's definitely worth trying MWF, although I would get one of the refill pucks and put it in an old tin or bowl, rather than buying some in the ceramic container, which is quite expensive. Some users say it's quite tricky to get a consistently good lather from MWF, but I've never had a problem doing so. Another soap well worth trying is one of the line by Phoenix and Beau. It's made in the UK, performs really well and comes in a range of interesting scents.

Thank you all the warm welcome!

I agree, I was not ready for the AS-D2, but because I was approaching the 30 days return time limit, I had to make a decision. So far I don't feel any remorse, specially after having an adjustable razor, it makes more sense to me, to be able to choose the angle I want, instead of me trying to adapt to the device.

I've been through the wiki and the forums when trying the Feather, and every time I had new information I was convinced I will be able to handle it next time, but ultimately I was just keep failing, it is not nice a feeling, specially after such a good experience with the Merkur.

As for soaps/creams, thanks the advices, I'll try to Proraso with more water, but I was generally advised to use only a little amount of water to keep the bubbles to the minimum.

In terms of different products I don't really have a preference yet. I'm enjoying the sandalwood very much, but I know I'll get bored of it. If I'm to go for something new I definitely want something quite slick, post shave feel is something I usually expect from my after shave, and budget wise I dont mind spending on it, if it is really good.

I'm also on a hunt for other man-cave type toiletries and recently ordered liquid hand wash from the MWF range, if I'm satisfied with the scent I'll get their shaving soap too.

Welcome. Nice to see new members from EU.
I use proraso cream and it can get as slick as you try to. Just try to find the right ratio between water and quantity .

My set up is almost Proraso (even the brush which is in the second photo).
img_20180328_163929-jpg.871132

img_20180328_164418-jpg.871145

I've got a similar sight in my cabinet, I just love those scents. Thanks to the advices I can now produce a much better lather from the Proraso cream, I just needed to spend more time on it, than I would on the TOBS.

Welcome. Nice to see new members from EU.
I use proraso cream and it can get as slick as you try to. Just try to find the right ratio between water and quantity .

My set up is almost Proraso (even the brush which is in the second photo).
img_20180328_163929-jpg.871132

img_20180328_164418-jpg.871145
How do you find the yaqi brush compared to the boar?

How do you find the yaqi brush compared to the boar?

Well different. :) I made a post under brushes section about this. In a nutshell, the yaqi is really nice, makes a good lather and it gets dry within the day, something missing on the boar brush feature. You must learn how to splay this brush, it is not that natural as it comes with the boar brush.
I never thought about this before, but if I find the perfect synthetic brush for my face, then I can become a one brush shaver easily. Hope I don't spent a lot till I find that brush. But so far a synthetic and a boar brush can cover totally my needs.
Hope that helps.

Top Bottom