What's new

Hello from SWVA

Hello everyone,

To be honest, I never thought I'd join a shaving forum but here I am. Add it to my drum and guitar forums that I visit from time to time. What brought me here is the fact the Dorco blade cartridges have moved their sales to Amazon only -- I can't use coupon codes anymore, the blade cartridges I was using from them are now out of production (twin blades), they also changed how their updated carts attach to their handles.

So I've moved to DE shaving in hopes of saving money, which I think will happen once I settle in. I also want to be able to buy blades no matter what and DE technology hasn't really changed. Dorco carts are still a lot cheaper than other brands but I figure I might as well try something new.

I'm about a month into DE shaving. Because of this, I've also had to rework my land travel bag Dopp kit. I like consistency as often as I can get it. I have an airline TSA clear Dopp bag that has the remainder of my Dorco carts which should last a while. I keep my Dopp kits prepacked so that I know everything is in there. Minimalism in the sense that I don't have to think about it.

I've been lurking the forum for the past couple of weeks.

My gear thus far:

Razors:
Edwin Jagger DE89 long handle (for home)
Viking Blades Chieftain Jr. butterfly (for travel)

Blades:
Blade sample pack but I like the Feather in the EJ and a Gillette Silver Blue in the VBCJr so far. I'm hoping to find a blade that works well in both of them and then buy in bulk.

Brushes:
Haircut and Shave synthetic brush with 24mm knot and 54mm loft - I'm on the fence already about this one. It doesn't seem to dry as quickly as I thought it would. I know I read that synthetic brushes dry out faster.

Miusco Badger Brush w/ stand - this one is small but I think I like it. This one has been relegated to travel because it is small.

Creams/Soaps:
Art of Shaving Unscented Cream (for home)
Palmolive Shaving Stick (for travel)

Aftershaves:
Gabel's Bay Rum (for home)
Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated Aftershave (for home and travel - 2 pack)
Samples of Pinaud Clubman's standard aftershave and their Bay Rum (Bay Rum went into my TSA Dopp kit)
Alum Blocks (home and travel)

I've been using a coffee mug to build lather but I don't like it very much. So I am now trying to learn how to face lather. This would be ideal as I wouldn't have to own a bowl or shaving mug. It would also offer me a technique that I would use when we travel during the summer.

I don't plan on being a collector but more utilitarian with DE wet shaving.

Welcome. I understand how you feel. I never expected to be on a shaving forum myself. Take a look around, as there are areas of discussion here outside of the topic of shaving.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hello everyone,

To be honest, I never thought I'd join a shaving forum but here I am. Add it to my drum and guitar forums that I visit from time to time. What brought me here is the fact the Dorco blade cartridges have moved their sales to Amazon only -- I can't use coupon codes anymore, the blade cartridges I was using from them are now out of production (twin blades), they also changed how their updated carts attach to their handles.

So I've moved to DE shaving in hopes of saving money, which I think will happen once I settle in. I also want to be able to buy blades no matter what and DE technology hasn't really changed. Dorco carts are still a lot cheaper than other brands but I figure I might as well try something new.

I'm about a month into DE shaving. Because of this, I've also had to rework my land travel bag Dopp kit. I like consistency as often as I can get it. I have an airline TSA clear Dopp bag that has the remainder of my Dorco carts which should last a while. I keep my Dopp kits prepacked so that I know everything is in there. Minimalism in the sense that I don't have to think about it.

I've been lurking the forum for the past couple of weeks.

My gear thus far:

Razors:
Edwin Jagger DE89 long handle (for home)
Viking Blades Chieftain Jr. butterfly (for travel)

Blades:
Blade sample pack but I like the Feather in the EJ and a Gillette Silver Blue in the VBCJr so far. I'm hoping to find a blade that works well in both of them and then buy in bulk.

Brushes:
Haircut and Shave synthetic brush with 24mm knot and 54mm loft - I'm on the fence already about this one. It doesn't seem to dry as quickly as I thought it would. I know I read that synthetic brushes dry out faster.

Miusco Badger Brush w/ stand - this one is small but I think I like it. This one has been relegated to travel because it is small.

Creams/Soaps:
Art of Shaving Unscented Cream (for home)
Palmolive Shaving Stick (for travel)

Aftershaves:
Gabel's Bay Rum (for home)
Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated Aftershave (for home and travel - 2 pack)
Samples of Pinaud Clubman's standard aftershave and their Bay Rum (Bay Rum went into my TSA Dopp kit)
Alum Blocks (home and travel)

I've been using a coffee mug to build lather but I don't like it very much. So I am now trying to learn how to face lather. This would be ideal as I wouldn't have to own a bowl or shaving mug. It would also offer me a technique that I would use when we travel during the summer.

I don't plan on being a collector but more utilitarian with DE wet shaving.
What SWVA town?

Welcome to the Madnes.

Face lathering is nirvana. Try rubbing that Palmolive stick directly onto a prepped face (shower beforehand is nice) then simply apply your damp brush to face. Personally I prefer a shorter loft for face lathering and use a Simpson Chubby 1 in Best or a Semogue 610 boar.

Welcome to the Madnes.

Face lathering is nirvana. Try rubbing that Palmolive stick directly onto a prepped face (shower beforehand is nice) then simply apply your damp brush to face. Personally I prefer a shorter loft for face lathering and use a Simpson Chubby 1 in Best or a Semogue 610 boar.

Funny that you mention brushes as I'm still trying to zero in on a daily brush.

I bought a Haircut & Shave Co. synthetic brush from Amazon, although it isn't listed at the moment. It has a 24mm knot and a 54mm loft. I found the handle feels too big which makes it uncomfortable. The handle looks cool. I'd say my hands are medium-large in size but this handle doesn't feel right.

My other brush came with a stand that I also bought from Amazon. I don't know the size of it but it will into one 2oz. deodorant/shave stick tubes with the center popped out of it. This one is a cheap badger brush but I seem to like it.

I bought the synthetic brush in hopes to use it for travel as I've heard they dry quicker. Now I realize I need something a bit smaller even for home use.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 4
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 3
I did try out the Palmolive stick today. I didn't get a great lather with it but I also didn't have a bad shave either. I'm still working on my technique on my neck and under my jawline. Today it is not super smooth but also not irritated. So I think that is a win.

I think I would like to get a Speick stick (maybe 3) with the reusable container. I'm not sure if the reusable container is in the states. I thought I read it was Euro or something. I assume the container would fit most shave sticks that are packaged similarly but I could be wrong. I think ultimately I'd like to reduce my waste with shaving creams, soaps, and sticks but also have a nice product.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do with blades for land travel. If I end up buying Feathers (or similarly packaged blades) in bulk then I know there is the built-in disposal bin on the tuck. If I buy the bulk of other blades that are in cardboard then I'll need something to hold them and something to dispose of them in.

I like to dial things in and run with it for as long as possible. I know I'll be somewhat wasteful at the beginning of all of this as I figure out what I like and dislike. I imagine it will taper off soon enough.

Is there a post minimum to be able to post a WTB for a gold Gillette Tech ball end in nice condition? I want to pick one up for my brother's birthday coming up but I didn't see a way to post in that forum? I also was looking to see if there was a post minimum but I may have overlooked it.

I've seen some on eBay and Etsy but I wanted to try here first.

Top Bottom