What's new

Hello from Stockport, England

You have a decent razor. That is good. I don't like the point on the heal though. That makes me wonder a bit about the guy who honed it for you. If you say it was hand honed by someone then great. But a factory edge would not be great. Also if you are using foam to shave with, file it in the trash can and get some good soap. A great lather from a good soap can make a world of difference when it comes to Straight Razor shaving.

I purchased it from The Invisible Edge in the UK. They say they get the razor shave ready before sending it out and I’ve no reason to doubt that they didn’t. I’m just not experienced enough to know. It definitely cut okay on the first shave so I may have rolled the edge a bit on the strop. I shouldn’t have said “foam” as I meant lather. I have Martin De Candre soap and some shaving cream.

I have read all about pre shave prep so I am about to have shave number four but spend a bit more time on prep with a hot towel over a thin layer of lather.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Welcome to B&B!

If you think the SR isn’t honed well enough, it probably isn’t. A well honed SR will leave no question that’s it’s ready. IMO

Another welcome from the Midlands.

I've had a few razors from The Invisible Edge, and they've all been within stropping distance of a shave. Adam knows his stuff. Nice horn scaled Issard there. How does it do with "treetopping"?

I'm a comparative latecomer to straight razor shaving (2020) - as well as this thread - and I certainly went through a "is it me or is it the edge?" stage (it was usually a bit of both). The landmarks you'll read about aren't absolute, but seemed to fit with how I got on - by about thirty goes I was thinking I was "getting it", and by a hundred it was just shaving. I've picked up more technique since then, but that's the steep part of the learning curve. Thirty and a hundred sound like big numbers at the beginning, but they're soon reached and it's fun getting there.

Lots of good advice on the straight razor threads. See you around.

Another welcome from the Midlands.

I've had a few razors from The Invisible Edge, and they've all been within stropping distance of a shave. Adam knows his stuff. Nice horn scaled Issard there. How does it do with "treetopping"?

I'm a comparative latecomer to straight razor shaving (2020) - as well as this thread - and I certainly went through a "is it me or is it the edge?" stage (it was usually a bit of both). The landmarks you'll read about aren't absolute, but seemed to fit with how I got on - by about thirty goes I was thinking I was "getting it", and by a hundred it was just shaving. I've picked up more technique since then, but that's the steep part of the learning curve. Thirty and a hundred sound like big numbers at the beginning, but they're soon reached and it's fun getting there.

Lots of good advice on the straight razor threads. See you around.

I’m sure it was shave ready on arrival. My stropping skills are probably just not up to it Yet. Also probably a bit nervy when trying to start the pass on my chin. I’m probably placing the blade against the stubble then trying to move it. Instead of already having the blade moving as it comes into contact with my face.

I’m sure it was shave ready on arrival. My stropping skills are probably just not up to it Yet. Also probably a bit nervy when trying to start the pass on my chin. I’m probably placing the blade against the stubble then trying to move it. Instead of already having the blade moving as it comes into contact with my face.
Welcome! It's most definitely an experience/confidence thing to using a SR, a bit like riding a motorbike - committing to the stroke with the required speed and angle before you hit the curve/chin. That only comes with time, as mention previously get 30 shaves in as soon as you can. You will learn a lot quickly and most importantly, just enjoy the ride!!

Top Bottom